iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

converting board feet to face cord

Started by farmer mark, December 13, 2013, 01:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer mark

When cutting firewood I sometimes find a dead, dying or cull  tree with a marginal saw log in it.  Then the decision making begins, fire wood or saw log.  If I scaled the log doyle rule is there a conversion factor to how many face cord it would make? That might save me from second guessing myself. I own a mill and sell some fire wood so it won't go to waste either way.  Thanks

Jeff

we always used a rough estimate of 500 board feet to a standard cord.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecol

Jeff

As far as I know, there is no standard for a facecord, but around here, they usually say you can mathematically get 3 face cord out of standard cord if the wood is cut at 16".  You never do. If you did, you could figure on the 6.

bill m

There is no conversion for face cords. A face cord is 4 x 8 x what ever length the wood is cut. A face cord of 24" long wood will have a lot more volume than a face cord of 16" long wood.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Quebecnewf

A cord is 4x4x8.Thats it thats all.

A face cord is not a real measurement in that you can have a face cord of 4x8x16" or a face cord of 4x8x24" or so on and so on.

A face cord is a measurement that both parties agree to before they buy or sell and it can vary.So therefore it is not a real measurement.

A pound is a pound
A kilo is a kilo
A foot is a foot
A cubic meter is a cubic meter.
These are real units of measure and they are understood accross the world.

Quebecnewf

WH_Conley

500-550 feet Doyle will make a cord (4x4x8) figuring 12 14 inch logs, junk tie logs.
Bill

Ford_man

I have developed a formula that works out real close over about 25 cords. Measure the log in inches then divide by 12 =feet, measure diameter in the middle of the log in inches to the nearest 1/4 inch, then use this formula:::: 3.1416*(Dia*Dia)/4*(length/1728):::This will give you the solid cu.ft. that the log yealds, Then divide the cu.ft.. 82.3 this will give you the cords in the log.
Example: Lin 148 In=12.333Ft.
              Dia 11.25 =8.5136 Cu.Ft.
                            =.1034461 Cords
I have this on a spread sheet in my puter it makes all the right answers LOL Hope this helps.   splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley   

Corley5

A pulp cord 2X8X8 of 8' (100") sticks will cut up to less than a 4X4X8 stack of 16" firewood.  Two and a half face cord of 16" wood is usually the outcome depending on the quality of the 100" wood.  Straight larger wood yields more.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

farmer mark

Thanks for the info. Here in western NY most fire wood is sold by the face cord.  Usually 16 inch face cord, so 3 face cord make one full cord.  Most people around here mean face cord when they say cord.

thekitz

Hello All - if you do a google search for "board feet in a cord" their answer is 1536 board feet equals one full cord.

So logically you could say that selling a full cord of wood for $153.60 would be equal to recieving 10 cents a board foot?
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

beenthere

So thekitz, are you going to start buying sawlogs for your mill by the cord now?
And if so, will you have any criteria that the cords of wood must meet (size, grade, straightness, ) ?

Or something else in mind for using the conversion "board feet in a cord" ?  Just curious.

Did you get those free oak logs yet?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: thekitz on December 30, 2013, 05:14:25 PM
Hello All - if you do a google search for "board feet in a cord" their answer is 1536 board feet equals one full cord.

So logically you could say that selling a full cord of wood for $153.60 would be equal to recieving 10 cents a board foot?

Not sure where that answer comes from, but it is malarky

Dave Shepard

1536 comes right up on the Google page. First link also is 1536 = http://www.convertunits.com/from/board+foot/to/cord+%5Bfirewood%5D I don't know where they are getting their info from.

I always thought it was about two cord to a thousand.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brian_Rhoad

They are taking 128 cubic feet in a cord and multiplying it by 12 to get 1536.

Thank You Sponsors!