iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer flies

Started by John_Haylow, July 15, 2012, 08:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

Anyone else find the deer flies really bad this year?
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Autocar

Here in Ohio its horse flys this year, not sure which are worse both can bite like a mad dog  ;D
Bill

thecfarm

They are always bad here. people have a fit about them when they come see me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

None at all this year. Nor mosquitoes, or knats, or flies. 

Nor any rain, which may be the reason.

Some wasps are surviving, but not many.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

The deer flies are just wicked here this year!

Besides that, they were about 3 weeks earlier this year and they'll be here until Sept or so.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Quote from: beenthere on July 15, 2012, 11:46:32 PM
None at all this year. Nor mosquitoes, or knats, or flies. 

Nor any rain, which may be the reason.

Some wasps are surviving, but not many.
I've noticed that too, my wife and I have actually went fishing I time or two and i think I've had three mosquitoe bites in all, without repellant, grasshoppers are doing well though.

SwampDonkey

Actually last week hardly had a deer fly. They are back this week in the heat. But they are usually gone from here by mid august. I don't see any difference overall in the numbers. They swarm like hornets in the right weather. ;D We also have moose flies that are twice as big. I suppose you folks might call them horse flies.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hisliptree3

up here in northern Wisconsin they are really bad this year!

Cypressstump

I have about beat myself to death swatting at the dadgum deerflies as they have gotten very bad in the last month or so.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

SwampDonkey

Only thing that is out it numbers is the blow flies. They don't byte just crawl. A few black flies to, but nothing bothersome. Can sit on my work trail and enjoy lunch from here on out the rest of the season.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Normal year for them here. When I take the tractor down into the woods,they swarm around the high points of the loader. Must be at least 50 of them at one time. Very rarely does one land on me when I'n driving the tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ken

Still a few scattered deer flies here but thankfully they are nearly gone.  They can be extremely annoying in the heat of the summer especially on the sunny days. 

The one thing that does seem to be abundant over the past couple of weeks are ground hornets.  Nearly every thinner experiences at least one nest/day on certain types of sites.  Sure keeps you on your toes.  I don't know how many times this summer I've been told that I hung a ribbon directly over a nest.  I never knew it was there but I was on the move.  The guys with the brush saws find every nest on a block.  Guaranteed.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

We had one guy stung 19 times with all the run in with paper wasps. I have seen 3 nests, only one active. Lucky so far. The dry summer makes it bad for those buzzards.

Troublermaker

Troublermaker

Sorry about that last post.

I going to ask a dumb question. Are Deer flies the same as May flies?

SwampDonkey

Mayflies are a different insect order. They are Ephemeroptera, in the springtail family. Not true flies. They don't bite. But eaten along streams by fish. Many angling flies mimic the mayfly nymph.

Troublermaker

Your May flies must be difference than ours. From the first of May to June or July they eat you up working out side if you don't have some bug spray on. After it get really hot they not as bad.

jander3

Not as bad as normal for Minnesota.

God, I hate them deer flies.

Magicman

Mayflies do not bite or sting:  LINK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

And as I've grown to know them, deer flies only bite, not sting.
Deer flies look like delta winged flies, larger than house flies and smaller than horse flies.

Have had no deer flies around here this summer. Enjoying that too.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!