iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut oak

Started by alanh, March 01, 2017, 08:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

I have 3 28" x 16' logs from a what I`ve been told is a chestnut oak tree that was floating down the river, I have them secured on the bank and haven`t dragged them up yet as I`m not sure if they are worth the effort, the butt log is pretty split and stressed as I imagine it was growing out of the bank before it fell in the river.
I`ve never cut into one so I don`t know it looks like. What is the lumber good for?
There is also a good size one that I have no idea what it is....any ideas?
Swamp Logger show has my imagination running away with me...
p.s., don`t laugh at the little stihl, I have real ones, I was trimming brush and prefered the light one :)

qbilder

Sure that's not cotton wood?
God bless our troops

alanh

I`m not sure what it is, as I`ve said I was told it was chestnut oak...I`m open to any observations.

WDH

Take a close up pic of the end grain.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alanh

O.k  might be a while, river is pretty high with the rain and snow melt, logs are back in the water

rasman57

If it is cottonwood it will have a unpleasant smell when you cut a bit into it. 

qbilder

Quote from: rasman57 on March 01, 2017, 07:27:44 PM
If it is cottonwood it will have a unpleasant smell when you cut a bit into it.

And if it's chestnut oak it should smell like whiskey  :)
God bless our troops

scsmith42

Chestnut white oak is one of the prettiest woods to quartersaw, IMO.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SlowJoeCrow

Don't apologize about your saw... most of the time I see guys using huge saws when a smaller lighter saw would have done just fine.  Work smarter, not harder.  Bigger isn't always better.

Thank You Sponsors!