iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk 2018/2019

Started by Magicman, June 05, 2018, 10:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, so I said that last year would be my last Elk hunt and that I would never hunt Elk again.  My plan at the time was to accompany Marty on his hunt this year.  Well, he did not draw which leaves us with two options.  (1) Not going, or (2) Buying a 2nd season Over the Counter (OTC) Elk tag.  We enjoy our time together so much that option 1 just does not seem to compute.

Remembering back to 1993, when he was 25 years old and I was 50 we experienced a miserably cold snowed out hunt.  At that time we promised to hunt together again when he was 50 and I was 75.  We never realized then that we would make this many hunts together during these past 25 years.  So now it is 25 years later and with option 2 above being our only option, we are going to take it.

We have 4½ months to zero in on an OTC hunting unit and to get ready.  fudd-smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

Working together and the time hunting together is precious, go for it. We need to do this now when we can. One never knows what is ahead of us. fudd-smiley
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

I guess that means getting the bike out and pedaling all over N. Mississippi again for the next few months. Good luck and I hope you two have a great time (and maybe even shoot an elk or two). ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I will have the only license, but killing a bull is not the object of the trip.  Spending a couple of weeks together will be our reward.  thumbs-up

Yup, dusting off the bicycle and airing the tires up.  bike_rider   Move over 'cause I am coming through.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Best of luck to you both but I agree the time spent together is priceless.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Autocar

The old saying we use around here is Old Loggers Never Retire They Just Die that goes for elk hunters also. Have a great time and plan for next year !
Bill

moosehunter

One year , hopefully many years from now you'll have to say I can't do it. So in the meantime go. Have a great hunt. 
Someday I would like to take my wife elk hunting. 

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dave Shepard

There's a group of guys here that go to CO every year elk hunting. For at least a couple of them, actually shooting an elk would really spoil the trip. :D 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Marty and I have been steadily getting our legs ready.  On the cooler days I can ride the bicycle for 14 miles but hot ones like today I only made 8 miles.  I waited until it cooled off a bit but then dark caught me.

I just finished reading about last years Elk Hunt and that is reason enough to go back: Colorado Elk 2017

We only have ~one month before we leave.  

Magicman

I got the Magic Bucks food plots laid by yesterday so today it was time to get the the rifles out and squeeze off a few shots.  I felt like the 30-06 would be OK and it was.  My Elk cartridge is factory Nosler 165gr Accubond but I have found that Federal 165gr Fusion rounds print almost exactly the same.  I shot two Federals at 100 yards hitting 3½" high at 12:00, so I sent one down to my 250 yard target, (which is the furtherest that I can shoot on my property).  I checked it and it looked good so I then shot a Nosler at the 250 yard target.

Both of the holes are ~2½" above the center of my target (which are obsolete stickers) with the Federal on the left and the Nosler on the right.  With 4 shots going exactly where I wanted/expected them to go I called the '06 good to go.

The backup .280 was a slightly different story because I had to send it back to Browning to repair damage done by a blown primer.  After reinstalling the scope, I bore sighted and the first shot was on the paper.  Four shots later it was printing 3" high at 100 yards and 2" high at 250 yards shooting Federal 150gr Nosler Partitions.

The tricky thing is that at about 175 yards both rifles will be ~4" high so I will have to be sure of my range.  Marty and I both will have range finders, but in the "heat of the moment" I have to remember.  I didn't last year and my second shot went over the bull's back but thankfully my first shot had done him in.  Zeroing high is necessary but I gotta remember.  ::)

barbender

Those yardages get long quick out West, don't they, Magic? 
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Oh yes, especially when the furtherest that I can see on my property is less than 300 yards.  :o

The .280 will get re-zeroed and dropped down a bit before our deer season. 

Magicman

My season opens exactly two weeks from today.  I brought the ice chests home from the Cabin yesterday.  They contain/store all of the camping gear each year.  Next is unloading all of the sawmilling gear/tools from the truck and ready if for the truck camper.  The ATV and all of the gear goes into the enclosed trailer.

I have plenty of time but no time to waste.

goose63

Good luck on the hunt my friend  fudd-smiley fudd-smiley fudd-smiley
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

A few more steps have been taken. 

All of the sawmilling tools,  etc. have been removed from the truck.

And the camping gear is ready to be loaded into the cargo trailer which sounds like tomorrow's job.  Yes, those are snowshoes.  :o  The only time that we have ever needed them....we didn't have any.

Dan_Shade

Did you pack your nail clippers? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

Dan,

That falls under the category "TMI"  :D

Lynn,

Good luck to you and Marty. Be careful and have a great time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bags

Never can tell about the snowshoes--- its been snow'in up here in the rockies since last night and still come'in--- snow line is down to 9500'.

DelawhereJoe

Snow line down to 9500'....thats 9100' feet above Delaware's highest point, can't wait for the snow to start here.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

barbender

Magic, you must get some odd looks when folks see your snowshoes hanging up in the garage!😂
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Those military surplus ones get stored but my second pair are wood/rawhide bearpaws that also serve as decoration at the Cabin.  Both sets will be with us in case we need them. 

Storing most of our gear such as day packs, gaiters, etc. in those ice chest makes organizing and packing a much easier job.

Magicman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 09, 2018, 08:27:14 PM
Did you pack your nail clippers?
I clipped my toe nails this morning so hopefully there will be no toe pictures.  ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 11, 2018, 09:23:07 AM

I clipped my toe nails this morning so hopefully there will be no toe pictures.  ;)
Oh Lawd.....I hope KNOT.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Getting the meals into vacuum sealed bags and frozen:

Roast Beef, Shrimp Alfredo, BBQ Chicken, Hamburger Steak, Chicken Tenders, Brisket, Smoked Boston Butt, Ham, Eggs, Cereal, plus English Peas, Potatoes, Corn, Cut Beans, Rice, Peaches, Pears, Peanut Butter Cookies, & Pecan Cookies.  That plus the usual trail stuff.

maple flats

Yea, down there snowshoes must look far stranger than the 6 pair hanging in the sugarhouse do up here.
Enjoy your hunt!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!