iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not a good idea...:)

Started by sprucebunny, February 17, 2013, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

Joan you are brave or a glutten for punishment :-\. I replaced a tramsmission in a washer a few years ago. If our new washer ever needs a new tramission I think I will put a concrete block in the thing and see if it will act like the washer in the video.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Bob,

That is the fastest path to a new washer  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Now that he is a retired farmer, he can afford a new washer.  :) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

If A=B and B=C, then A=C.

He sold the farm = he does not get dirty anymore = he does not need a washer.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2013, 09:22:51 PM
If A=B and B=C, then A=C.

He sold the farm = he does not get dirty anymore = he does not need a washer.
There is something smelly about this equation... ;D
Think like a farmer.

Brucer

That pitting on the spider looks a lot like what happens to any aluminum alloy exposed to our water system. The water has a very slight mineral content that eats up aluminum like you wouldn't believe.

Joan, when I went to buy our present washer, I actually did open it up in the store and have a good look at the internals. The store owner had just assured me it was easy to service and replace the parts. The conversation went something like this ...

Me: "So have you every serviced one yourself?"
Him: "No, but all the local repair people tell me it's easy."
Me: "Got a screwdriver?"
Him (after a pause): "You're kidding, right?"
Me: "Nope. It shouldn't take long if it's easy to service."
Him:  :o.

But he got me the screwdriver and hurried off to steer some other customers to a different part of the store :D.

By the way, you can't go by brand name alone. Some models for a particular brand are excellent, while the others are terrible. My daughter's Maytag failed the week after I got mine running. The repairman came, took one look at it, and said she could buy a new one or pay him as much to fix hers. She told him her dad just fixed his 30-year old Maytag for the first time. He asked what model it was: it seems my "basic model" is rock solid, easy to fix, and hardly ever needs fixing. Her "high end model" is very hard to repair and once it starts to go, it's a downhill ride. Fortunately it came with her rental unit so it was the landlord's problem.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

beenthere

Unfortunately, Maytag sold out to I believe Whirlpool (not for sure on that, but no Maytag). They were a great machine. Not anymore.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

You are right about brand names and models, Bruce. I try to buy the least complicated thing available. Until a few years ago, there was only Sears, here. Everything else had a shipping charge or the hassle of driving 60 miles to get it. ( I didn't have a trailer, then)
Nowadays, we have consumer reviews on the internet which helps a little but for almost any product, there are *6* people who got a complete lemon so that makes choosing a little difficult....also the reviews tend to be only from people who've had something about 3 months. Products are discontinued so fast.

The big box stores are here now and I feel like they would have me arrested for vandalism if I tried to disassemble something  :D But I'll definitely try that before I buy it. I did look up parts for the model I'm considering and will do it more carefully again.

I've decided to fill the hub of the spider with a reinforced epoxy. The water around here eats metal too. It ate thru the 1/4" aluminum walls of my submersible hot tub woodstove in 4 years  :o

There is an appliance manufacturer going again in the US. I'll try to see if they make washers and where the parts are made and of what.  ;)
I really hope this one works again because it is fairly easy to work on and the more electronic panels they have, the more expensive they are to fix. Like my stove that the plastic housing of the elec. panel broke and I had to buy the whole panel : $220 to replace a broken plastic tab  ::)

Appliances > Grrrrrr
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

isawlogs

joan, Coleman still make stoves... they are bullet Joan proof.   ;D :-*
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sprucebunny

Yes, Marcel. Those are pretty good. The mice really enjoy them, too  :D
I have a cast iron 2 burner at camp now and made a cover for it.

I've washed clothes by hand for years at a time... maybe I'll just find an old wringer.....  :)

Al_Smith

At one time with appliance manufacturers they figured the average house hold replaced major appliances about three times in a life time .Those machines however were in a sense repairable .

The newer machines first off are not designed to function that long and in the true sense are not repairable to any extent .That's the name of that tune .More times than not repair parts become obsolete after about 7 years so there you go stuck with a boat anchor. Maytag has became just as big of a pain in the buttocks as some of the lesser known brands .I think they all sleep in the same bed .

ScottAR

Have had really good luck from speed queen for toploaders and more lately samsung for front loaders. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

With the price of those parts I could buy a $300 new one and it would last as long. They only make washers and dryers these days cheap enough to sell, too costly to fix. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I've only spent $80 on parts. Never seen a $300 washer, they start at $500 for a top loader.

I poured epoxy into the hub.

Still waiting for the bearings.

I've priced heavy duty trash barrels and roller wringers are available. Not worth the effort to haul a new one up the stairs when I plan to move off the grid, soon. Might as well get used to living primitively....

Paul_H

Looking good Joan,that epoxy should do the trick.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Only on a sale Joan, and probably back near $500 when they apply the tax. The last time I bought a Sears item, they began charging freight on large items. Never used to. I've notice catelog offices closing up and heard dinosaurs like Sears are in for tough times.

I did see they have $400 ones, but on sale.

But onto your mission, I'm sure you'll be washing in no time.  8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Someone said you are a brave soul.  I concur!  I woulda taken one look at that and figured my time and sanity were worth more than trying to repair it myself!

Brucer

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 22, 2013, 06:45:28 AM
... Not worth the effort to haul a new one up the stairs when I plan to move off the grid, soon. ...

I believe Maytag used to make a gasoline powered ringer washer :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Al_Smith

Yes they did and the kick starter would drive your knee into the tub if it back fired .I thing the old saying came about concerning part of a womans anatomy and a wringer from those things.

sprucebunny

The bearings came and they're installed and it's kind of back together but I can't get the rubber seal from the door to the tub back on. Mine is glued around the door... not like the instructions I found.....

I'm going to coat it with dish soap today and get some 1/4" chunks of wood to hold it there and try again .....
Much as I would like to work in the woods everyday, the weather tells me 'no'. So do gasoline prices...
Oh... and did I mention that I'm thrifty ???  :D

Al_Smith

I commend you on your perserverance and ingenity of working on a danged clothes washer . Working on any newer appliance is akid to cruel and unusual punishment  and is an exercise in patience if not futility .

There was a time in my more youthfull days when I was lucky to have gas money I'd go to extremes keeping the things in working order  .Those days have passed for me .In comes the new and the old goes to live in the woods until somebody gets it for scrap metal .If the mice build a nest in it they came take that with them too .

OneWithWood

Joan, you take thrifty to new levels  ;)

I admire your attitude and spirit  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sprucebunny

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone  :)

I finally got the rubber door boot on. It took about 4 tries and an equal number of beers  :D
It's back where it belongs and my livingroom looks a little better.
I felt confident enough to start it but the drain boot leaks.
A 5 towel problem  :D

Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I'll put car window caulking on it or something.

isawlogs

8)  Only a little draw back, kewl, I am sure that it will be solved before long.

Marcel

SwampDonkey

One thing leads to another. :D

Thank You Sponsors!