iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

broke my arm

Started by chuck172, February 27, 2013, 08:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck172

I broke my left arm in a dum firewood getting accident. I'm right handed. The break isn't bad, just one out of two bones in the forearm broke. Not displaced, not all the way through.
Didn't even need a cast, just a splint.
My question is with the vibration of the chain saw, when my arm heals, will it stay healed?
I guess I need to hear from anyone who has broke their arm and gone back to chainsawing.

isawlogs

Ya just bent it some  :-\  Hurts just the same  :-\ 
I would give it a week or so before going for the saw, once it has healed some it should be ok. As long as it don't hurt, should be fine, I put a roof on with a broke wrist, air gun can be used with the other. I had a brace on the splint that was put on by the Doc, I got the brace at the pharmacie here.

Heal quick my friend.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

clww

We got mortared at our position one night when I was in the Army, and I ended up with a broken left forearm. I've had no problem running a saw, but it does ache sometimes during extended periods of cold weather. 
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

That is too bad Chuck. I never broke a bone,YET,but I do know if I was you and the Dr said don't use it for 6-8 weeks I would listen to him. Do as he/she says. Than I feel you should be fine when the DR gives you the green light. I know it's hard to be down,but if you try to do more,you might pay for it later. Good luck to you.

I did forget to say all accidents are dumb when you can see how you could of avoided it. Hind sight is 20/20. If only I would have.......   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Chuck - I'm an orthopaedic surgeon.  i would be happy to discuss your forearm fracture in private, by Personal Message, by email, or in the open here of the forum if you choose.

You probably fractured your unla, the bone on the underside of your forearm that rests on the counter when you are seated.   Even though non-displaced, as you describe it.  these frasctures are through fairly compact, hard, cortical bone and do not heal quickly.  Your symptoms may be present for only 4-6 weeks, but they may last longer if your healing is a bit delayed.  I would like to know more about the specific fracture.  Do you have a photo of your x-ray by chance?

Good luck, and I'll provide all the help I can at your discretion.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chuck172

DoctorB, Thanks for replying. I did break my ulna. About half way through. My Orth. said I'm healing remarkably fast. The xray taken 2 weeks after the break didn't even show the break.
I understand they call this the "nightstick fracture". Same break as when a cop swings his nightstick and you shield with your arm.
I'm really not in a hurry to go back using a chainsaw. I can wait. I'm just  worried because this is the arm that holds back chainsaw kickback and the vibrations of the saw might undue the healing.
Nice to be able to speak like this to an ortho.  surgeon, thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!