iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Local Redwoods

Started by Ianab, March 05, 2013, 03:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

These are some small Redwood trees in a local park.

If you look close, Taylor is having a nap, to show some scale.

I'm guessing the tress are about 100 years old, so not really that big, and have grown in an open area, so not that tall. But still pretty impressive trees.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JohnG28

They really are some impressive trees. Even those "small" ones are massive. Years ago I went to northern California with my family through some of the redwood forests, had family that used to live near Redding. I was young but still remember how amazing it was to see.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

RPF2509

Nice redwoods.  They are short for their diameter - I would suspect topkill due to hard freeze which redwood are susceptible to or high winds.  I know redwood was planted on a trial basis approx 100 yrs ago around NZ.  Iv'e seen photos of some of those stands which are very impressive.  Also know that extensive plantations of redwood are being planted currently in NZ.  Most of the seedlings are being generated from clonal propagation which is fairly easy in rwds due to their vigorous sprouting ability

Den Socling

Here's some pictures of Red Woods in NZ. I took them on the North Island. I think it was around Napier or Rotarua. The picture folder is labeled Kaingaroa Timberlands.

They weren't very old.

Den Socling

Correction: The first picture is from a park that we visited that day.

Ianab

QuoteThey are short for their diameter - I would suspect topkill due to hard freeze which redwood are susceptible to or high winds.

Common for any open grown trees. These ones are in a lawn area of the park, and I think there is only 4 of them. They aren't forced to grow tall like the plantation ones in Den's pictures. Wind is probably a factor for those trees, as they are well above the surrounding trees. Frost probably not so much once you get away from the ground  level. We get frosts, but no hard freezing.

Den's trees are on the outskirts of Rotorua and where planted in 1901.
http://www.redwoods.co.nz/nature.php#Redwood

The particular micro-climate of that Rotorua site seems to suit them perfectly. Results have been more mixed in other locations. Frost and wind knocks them about on a lot of sites, and the fast growth means a lot of unstable and brittle juvenile wood in every log. I'm guessing if they were left to grow for hundreds of years they would start to form the stronger and more stable "old growth" type wood. But for a commercial harvest you want to be logging at 50-100 years (or less). They are still being planted for timber production, but not a on a large scale.

The forestry boffins settled on Radiata pine as the preferred species, and Douglas fir for colder or higher areas where the pines don't do so well. So those species account for about 98% of the timber harvest in NZ. Every other species  makes up the remaining 2%, so they are definitely low volume stuff.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

harrymontana

here is a brazilian redwood (massaranduba); not so short in length!!

everything on hardwood

Thank You Sponsors!