i need to weld some aluminum without an aluminum welder

Started by Dan_Shade, March 08, 2013, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Can I solder it or something?

need to attach a 1/4 round peice to a 1 1/2 flat piece
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Weekend_Sawyer

Without a welder I think your best bet would be to bolt it to gather.
Or maybe use JB weld. How much pressure does it need to stand?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Sprucegum

Before migs became so popular there were aluminum rods for oxy-acetylene welding - I hope you have lots of practice pieces  ;)

millwright

There is a rod made for stick welders that works pretty good if you arent to concerned what it looks like.

Jeff

There is a product I use to see them demo at engine shows. This rod would weld aluminum with a propane torch. Have no idea what it was called.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

DR_Buck

You can bring it over and I'll do it for you.  Or you can thread the end of the 1/4" piece and drill and tap the flat piece.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DDobbs

my brother in law gas welds aluminum he makes all kinds of cool stuff from look pretties to tanks for motorcycles
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

millwright

Jeff, I had forgotten about the sticks you brought up, I have used them with propane and map gas with good results.

Jeff

I watched them fix broken crank cases with the stuff.

drobertson

How thick is the 1-1/2 flat piece?  if you can't find the stuff to weld it,  a 10-32 flat head might work as good, tap the rod, drill and counter sink the flat piece,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

The rods that Jeff showed work very well with a propane torch but you gotta be careful though.  Too much heat and the whole thing will fall through. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LAZERDAN

well you have come into my wheel house.  we have been usuing Alumaloy forever.  Any one can learn to do it,heres the home page but theres alot more info out there.   
http://www.alumaloy.org/
          Good luck                    Lazerdan             

chevytaHOE5674

If you have a local machine or welding shop ask them how much to weld it up before you spend money on buying all types of rods. Before I had a TIG welder I would have small aluminum things welded up for just a few dollars at a local shop, which wasn't worth my time to even mess with trying it myself.

Dan_Shade

I do have a mig welder, can I use it with aluminum wire?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Yes/no.  Yes you can but with some changes. The lead has a different inside coating to keep the aluminum wire feeding smoothly and aluminum uses a different gas.  Go by your welding supply shop and get the answers for you particular MIG welder.  My answer above is what I was told concerning my Hobart.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Aluminum is tricky to weld. We had some stuff at work that would need rewelding. One guy would clean it real good, meaning grind it and then heat the 2 areas up. Took longer,but I never had to have him re weld an area that he welded. This was ΒΌ" stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bandmill Bandit

I have miller 210 and have done aluminum with it with reasonable success. The results are great but the amount of wire you use to get there is not cheap.  If I did more of it I would get me a spool gun so the wire would only need to travel a few inches.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

pineywoods

The alumaloy rods work pretty good on pure aluminum and some alloys. Technically, it is a braze, not a weld. The melting temp is a good bit lower than aluminum. Some alloys particularly aircraft stuff (2024 ) are just about un-weldable with any rod/wire. Using a torch is tricky because aluminum does not change color with temperature.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DR_Buck

If you try it yourself, make sure the aluminum is clean.  Do not use a steel wire brush.  Use stainless steel, otherwise you will contaminate the joint and it will most likely fail
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

smwwoody

use only new stainless brushes and new grinding wheels dont use anything that was ever used on steel
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!