iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodlot Pictures

Started by John Vander, May 21, 2013, 07:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

This is our small family woodlot on the island of Kyushu in Southern Japan. Overstory is Cedar, with a huge variety understory. South facing aspect (30 degrees sloping). At present a bit overstocked but gradually busy working on the area.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

John Vander

This is me in the woodlot doing some work. As you can see all my gear sits on my back. No flat areas, mostly slopes. This photo taken very early spring. Exept for small trees, no small understory plants yet. They seem to suddenly appear the moment the weather changes.

Ron Scott

~Ron

John Vander

Nice to get a compliment from a pro. Thanx Ron.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi John,

What species of trees are they and do you prune them?  It looks like a beautiful plot.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

GATreeGrower

John Vander

The trees are all Japanese cedar. When the stand was young, my father-in-law did some pruning on the trees, but when the lumbering business collapsed some 30 years ago, the stand was "abandoned". My wife and I are now busy with some TSI to  bring the stand back into shape.

chevytaHOE5674

Nice looking stand.

When you say "small woodlot", what size is it?

WDH

What a great project.  It will enrich you.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John Vander

chevytaHOE5674: Very small. Only about 450 square meters. That's about the size around here. Land in Japan is very expensive. My father-in-law bought the piece of land for 20000 US dollars 30 years ago. Only the guys with the big bucks can afford more.
WDH: Yeah, spending time out there has been fun and even though it's hard work sometimes, I love it.

thecfarm

Looks good. I think 492 yards over here??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That helps WDH. Thank you. Just about a house lot that I use to live at.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Vander

I'ts quite small, but enough for what I can handle timewise. I want to develop the woodlot for children's educational purposes.

enigmaT120

How old are the trees?
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

GATreeGrower

Really admire that you want to use your own woods as an educational tool.  Keep up the good work man.

John Vander

enigmaT120: The parent trees are about 60 years old. Many small trees aged about 30 yrs sprang up from the parent trees, but are long pole-like trees and of poor lumber quality.
GATreeGrower: Thank you for the encouragement. Much appreciated!

Thank You Sponsors!