iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blades etc.

Started by smalltime, February 11, 2005, 11:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltime

:)Hi all, from nova scotia,Just got some new lenox bands  for my manual mill any comments on these.I have never used these before.What kind of board footage are you manual mill operators getting on softwoods ,spruce,fir,pine. Just curious? Thanks.

chet

Welcome Smalltime,
I have been using Lenox Woodmasters for awhile. I have been very happy with them, both in cutting performance and longevity. Its hard to put a board footage figure out there, because there are too many controlling factors that are not related to the blade. Such as: dirt, frozen wood, type of wood, mill adjustment, operator, lube, and how far the blade is pushed to name a few.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom

welcome to the forum, smalltime.

While my mill isn't manual, I use Lenox.  They are Woodmaster C's.  I think they are a little heartier than most other blades and the reason for their apparent thickness and width is because they are built on metric scale.  I'm told that is the reason that the 1 1/4 appears to be a little wider than normal.

They work good for me but I had problems with my Woodmizer.   The smaller wheels on my LT40 seemed to prefer a more flexible blade.  I had good luck with Woodmizer's blades but eventually went to Simonds Red Streaks. The Red Streaks have performed very good.

Is your mill of the smaller variety "push mill" or one of the larger manual mills?  If your band wheels are small and your engine HP is below 15, you might find that a band less than 42 thousandths thick will work better. They don't have as much of a problem going around a small wheel and don't need as wide of a kerf either.

Of course, the important thing is Don't try to fix it if it ain't broke. :D

Tell us a Little more about what you got and what you do.  We are always interested..  ...'specially me. :D

smalltime

Thanks for the replys.  I do a bit of everything with my lumbermate 13hp.Some custom jobs at home or at their site and some for lumber for my or my sons building projects. Strictly part time,but I hope to do some more.Full time job and other intrests keep me busy.Last custom job was cutting 2x4s from stud wood, probably wont try that again.Later

Tom

That lumbermate is a good mill.  I have a cabinet maker friend who usus one often.  He cuts a lot of "big" stuff and builds bedroom furniture.  He can't turn the big logs by himself (he's 83) so he calls his sons to help.  The always help with a smile on their face but kick rocks all the way there.   

Gary_B

Tom,
    That sounds like my two sons, only difference is one is 16 and the other is 15. When they were young....to young to really help me out on some projects, you couldnt stop them..... :D Now they are no where to be found, or Dad Ive got practice  :(
                                                                      Gary

Tom

Gary,
Get'em piano lessons for 20 dollars a week.  Then make'em practice and hour every day.   Well, they can either help or practice.  I figure $20 a day isn't to bad for labor costs around the mill.  Who cares if they every learn the piano or not.  :D :D

Gary_B

Tom,
        I think that is some real good advice, I never thought about it that away, replace that football with a piano, and I really think it will work  :Dthanks so much.

Thank You Sponsors!