iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: free blades

Started by smwwoody, March 11, 2004, 08:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaws

Neil b.
I'm Canadian from Québec country and I receive my five RED STREAK free blades after five weeks.

Neil_B

Maybe I'll just pretend to give up on them and it'll be a big surprise when/if they arrive.  ;)
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

rbarshaw

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Neil_B

Ha! It worked. Showed up today so guess what I'll be doing this afternoon.

Only problem is they sent me more .035 flexback.  :o Oh well, can finally compare them to the Lennox and see what happens.

Thanks Simonds  8)
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Grawulf

Hi Gentlemen!

Thought I'd bring this back to the top - now that you've had time to use and abuse the Red Streaks, what are your thoughts about them? I got about 650 bf out of the one blade they sent me - very knotty red pine. Have been using Suffolk blades and been pleased. Need to order more blades and thought I'd give the Simonds a chance. What you guys paying per blade (13' 2")?

Grawulf

Just another thought .......I have to use them while they're fresh - otherwise they slip away :D. You that are using Woodmizer blades - how do they stack up against the Suffolks and Munkfors'?

beerguy

They never did send me any. I sent a receipt for my size, (221 X 1 1/2 x .045) two months ago, and never heard a thing. I guess I will go buy some munks. I sent a request for info and 'maybe' a sample or two, and I got a quote for a blade from Menomee saw. Better than the red streak folks did!

Kirk_Allen

I have not been impressed with the Suffulks blades.  I have only tried one Munkforsager blade and was pleased with its performance.  I need to resharpen it and give it another go.  That old Hickory did a number on it ;D

I've been pleased with the free blades other than every one of them was inside out and had to be turned around.  I think they could be sharper out of the box but thats just my humble opinion.  I will compare them again after resharp ;D

Gilman

Beer Guy,
I called Simonds and talked to their narrow band salesman about a month ago.  I asked about the 5 free bands promotion and he said that promotion had expired.  He did however send me a couple bands to try out.  I don't remember the name or number, but I know I got it off the simond's website.

Good luck
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Swede

In Sweden nothing is for free so I´ve not asked Munkfors about any free blades.

Sent them an e-mail 10 days ago or so, asking for  prices. Today I got an answer.
1-1/4x39  1t/" 10* and
1-38x.31  1t/" 10*
Both costs ~$27 + freight cost, if I buy 10 or more.

I´ll ask them if I´ve better buy them in USA,  ;D

My band wheels are Ø 20" and are  V-belt B type. My engine 18hp Vanguard (works nice now), I´m sawing most softwood but also some oak, aspen and birch.
 Think my old monkeys are more than .042 and this new blades is a little thin.......... or are they the blades I need? Perhaps they´ll never breake or breake very fast?
Am I saving any power using this thin blades?
Can I feed faster using them?
What Monkey blades do you guys with a saw mill like mine use?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Fla._Deadheader

1.25 X.042 X .875 P ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beerguy

I ain't so, ... uh... dumb. I see on their website that they do not offer a 1 1/2 inch ...  uh  ... blade. Is that it Deadheader? if it matters to you guys, I am currently a student. Maybe they have a class for paying attention that I could take.

Fla._Deadheader

Don't quite get yer question  ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Terry

Purchased my first Simonds Red Streak, 1.25 x 144, .042, 7/8. Sawed a 28" x 8' white oak that had been dead for a year. Was using the Norwood blades that came with my saw. The Simonds cuts much better. Good Blade
Life is short---Live It !!!

Furby

WO cuts really easy anyways.
Have ya tried them on another wood?

DR_Buck

I recommend testing blades on a nice gnarly hickory.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Terry

Would Beech be a good test subject? I do have some Hickory too. I will try them both.
Life is short---Live It !!!

Tom

The best thing to test equipment on is the kind of woods that you will be sawing most of the time.

I cut pine and cypress, usually.  A blade that cuts hickory or Live Oak may not work very good in  my typical, everyday products.  Just remember that the acid test may not be the most difficult thing you can throw at it.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!