iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow Jackets

Started by Magicman, August 18, 2012, 12:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I got myself into a nest of them this morning, or maybe I should say that they got themselves into ME.   :o

They have to be the meanest and most persistent of any of our stinging wasp family.   :-\   At least with paper wasp, you can lay down and they will fly over you looking up.  It seems that yellow jackets are looking for you, and when they get tangled in your hair or clothing, they just keep on stinging.   >:( >:(

Yup, the old man can still run.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

How many times did you get hit?

That reminds me of the day my step dad hit a bee tree with the dozer while clearing a road on my property. Only time I was able to get away with beating my wife with my hat. The bees got in her hair and had a field day with her.  :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

QuoteYup, the old man can still run.

Did you try laying down first?  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riggs

I know that all of the earth's creatures have a purpose, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what the yellowjackets purpose is.
Did they get you?
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Jim_Rogers

I got yellow jackets and paper wasps nesting in my sawmill.

So far it's bees 4.....Jim - 5 cans of bee spray......and counting....

Lots of holes taped up with duck tape......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

drobertson

MM theres nothing like playing a lil hambone on a saturday morning. And you are right, these little fellows seem like they enjoy chasing and stinging.  They have bad attitudes to say the least,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

>:(  Unfortunately for me, I was wearing shorts, and today I guess those yellow jackets were "leg men".  Well that and sock men, ankle men, and behind the knees men.  The only "laying down" that I was doing was laying down the shoe rubber. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John_Haylow

Yes lots of yellow jacket nests this year. I run over one yesterday with the riding lawnmower and didn't see it until my next pass and was about 5' from them when I saw them, full reverse and no stings. I give them a blast with bee spray after dark.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

wdtik

You really haven't lived until you've stirred up a yellowjackets nest while
riding a green broke horse out for the first ride.....this time of the year the
yellowjackets are very aggressive, the skunks, 'coons,fox and such target the
nests, I often see the dug up nests remains while out on the farm. 
  I was riding in a truck one day when the driver had just one yellowjacket get in his
boot and start stinging him---wow what a ride.. :D  slammed on the brakes
bailed out and started doing some kinda war/mexican hat dance in the middle of the road..
thus the begining of the phrase LMAO...that dang thing left a row of stings from his ankle to his
knee,   Anyway ya had to have been there to appreciate the humor of it..

sandhills

I'm sure the humor in it was mostly due to the fact it wasn't in your boot eh?  ;)  My dad always said raking hay with horses was the most dangerous job on the farm and that's where they always put the youngest kids  ::), the yellow jackets took off after the team of horses and the kid ended up in the rake.

blackfoot griz

I hate those buggers.  Anybody that has ever packed mules & horses for any length of time would understand. It seems as though the first two or three mules get past the nest before they start their attack.  Then the sting-a-thon commenses and the ensuing rodeo with mules going every direction, loads coming off. Eventually you have to put the mess back togeather wich means having to go back in the danger zone often getting hammered again.

Once reloaded and on your way...it's not over if you have to come back on that same trail...they remember the spot and either don't want to go, or want to blast through the area.

Thanks MM for the topic and bring up some not-so-fond memories!

I have quite an image in my mind of you doing the 50 yard dash! :D

SwampDonkey

I stepped in one nest yesterday in a skid trail while whacking the pin cherry down. They were in a rotten spruce stump. They were not happy. Got one sting on the leg as a warning. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

I had Jill's son Chase finish staining the house. He told me he was done. There was a spot about 6 feet wide at the the end of the North side of the house. I said, "why isn't this done?" He just said Bees.
There was a yellow jacket nest in the ground right under his ladder.
We went out that night, dumped a good amount of gas down the hole and lit her up. There were flaming yellow jackets crawling all over. After the fire died down I got a shovel and dug it up. About the size of 2 basketballs!
He couldn't believe the size and all that larvae crawling around. I had him spray it down with Raid and that was that. The house is now completely stained!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

PatD was mowing yesterday and got popped twice.  I located the nest hole this AM, so it will get a nice swig of gasoline tonight.

wwsjr

Found a yellow jacket nest under log pile yesterday, did not locate the hole in the ground. Hard to see when the tractor was running in high gear to get away. (did not drop the log off the forks). Didn't get stung, I will find maybe tonight.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

drobertson

I thought I got into some again yesterday, almost wish I had, instead, seed ticks, not sure which is worse now. It has been awhile since I have had them like this,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!