iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had to Join In

Started by DeepWoods, November 30, 2003, 07:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepWoods

Good Evening,  I have been lurking in the background for a few months now, and have decided to join in all the fun.  Although I tend to lay low most of the time.    I have been contemplating buying a mill for a couple years.   My Father-in-law has a small tree farm (40 acres) in northern Minnesota.  The last time it was clearcut was in 1902, and we now have a beautiful stand of Norway, and White Pine.  He is 91 and is no longer able to take care of the things that need to be done, and I am slowly learning what I can do for the trees.  I don't ever expect to know what he does, he was a forester for the State.  I am interested in doing what I can from 200 miles away.  By that I mean I can't get to the cabin as often as I would like.  

I have been reading and learning as much as I can about mills, and am waiting on the delivery of a Norwood with the 23 hp Briggs.  It should arrive sometime this week.  I am hoping that once it is assembled, I can get to the cabin and cut a few Norway Pine to try it out on.  

I will be using the lumber for quite a few projects, an addition to the gargage, T&G pine for the ceiling in the log cabin that my Father-in-law built, a lumber storage building, and the rest of the lumber to be used in my woodshop that I have at home.

I'm not sure where I'm headed with all this, but I have found that the journey can be much more fun than the destination.  I have found that the people on this forum to be very knowledgeable and entertaining.  My contributions may be few and far between, but I can offer one more example of a newbie just getting started.  

Thats all for now, I will post again after my mill arrives, and I start to assemble it.  
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome to the Forum, Deepwoods. Always glad to have new members. Keep us well informed of yer progress. Did ya plant yer Forum tree yet???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

Welcome DeepWoods.  

Glad you came out of the deep woods to join in..  

Maybe you can entertain us with some knowledge.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Oregon_Sawyer

Welcome Deepwoods:

You are in for a great journey.  I bought a 50 acre woodlot from my dad and then my first mill. I am now building a custom log home and expanding my milling operation.  Mark has a series of photos of his experience with putting his Norwood together.  Have fun and enjoy yourself.  You may be wanting to move to the cabin.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

DeepWoods

Yes, I did.  But I wasn't sure where to plant it.  I live in Minneapolis, but my trees are north of Grand Rapids, MN.  Didn't figure I could plant two, so it got planted in Mpls.  
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

chet

Welcome aboard Deepwoods. I think you will be happy with your choice of mill. There are a few of us here that have one, so if ya run into any problems or have questions just give a yell.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

ronwood

Deepwoods

Welcome to the forum. Good luck in assembling the mill. What features does the mill have that help you decide to by a Norwood?
 ;) ;)  
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

DeepWoods

ronwood, I guess the one thing that drew me to Norwood, was the fact that I get to assemble the thing myself.  I do building maintenance for my real job, and have always found a lot of enjoyment fixin things and putting things together.  I also felt that I would get the most bang for my buck this way.  I bought it with the trailer package, as I will have to take it north with me.  But I  plan on adding a few improvements that I felt I could build myself.  Such as a log loader, leveling feet and log roller.  I also went with the largest engine they offered,as I have learned from past experiences that I always regret not buying the largest "whatever" that I can afford.  I only plan on this as a hobby, but hey who knows?  

Frank_Pender

Welcome a board Deepwood.   Glade to have you come in out or the forest for the trees. ;D  You say a hobby today, but tomorrow a business. 8)
Frank Pender

VA-Sawyer

Welcome Deepwoods,

Now that you have come out of the closet, so to speak. You can start working on getting your post count up. ;D
Rick

Norm

Welcome aboard DW, heck your just across the north border from us. If you ever get stuck in the middle of Iowa stop by.

pappy

What ya think guys another sawdust addict is born  :D  :D

He's got all the symptoms i.e.

40 acre woodlot which hasn't been cut in over a hundred years with great big trees,

A cabin.

A bran new Norwood band mill,

a pick-up and chainsaw (I assume),  :-/  and other stuff he ain't saying.

Looks like we gonna have ta keep an eye on this one.   ;)  :D    

Cause he gonna start being like some of us, dear I need a four wheela, dear I need a ATV log dolly, dear I need a tractor... etc.  

Oh boy you gonna need some help from the guys around here just ta help ya in your persuasion techniques.  :D  :D

Welcome DeepWoods   ;)

Please send pics cause we likes pics.

termite

P.S. I thinks maybe I see a big move north in this fellers future
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

solidwoods

Welcome.

Have you looked at vertical log construction? I think it was Sawmill & Woodlot mag that ran an article on it.  I had never heard/thought of it.  Looks efficient.
JIM

Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

DeepWoods

Dear Termite, just got done listening to my husband reading your response regarding persuasion techniques.  Thought that since that was directed about me I would let you in on a little secret.  He is the king of persuasion, in fact I am sure many of you could take lessons from him.  He has the ATV's, the heavy duty wood chipper and the log splitter,  he has already discussed the tractor, (My dad did have one, but got rid of it years ago), so a new one is a distinct possibility.  Last trip up North, he saw a dump truck and mumbled something!  Do you guys use Dump trucks to log?  I do get benifets from all of this though, I have a beautiful dining room table that he built in his wood shop, did he mention his wood shop?  Anyway, just thought you should know that after 20 years I pretty much know what is coming next.  I promise that I am not one of those wives that is hovering over her husband's shoulder while he visits this forum.  So I will limit my comments to those above.  Mrs.  Deepwoods ;D

Tom

Dear Mrs. Deepwoods,
We all, on this forum, are persuaders. It was not pure luck that some of the others and I picked a partner who allow us to think that we are making all the decisions.  My wife has told me that she ran from me just hard enough for her to catch me. ::) :P :-/

My Mizzes benefits also.  She has her own tractor and I have to run out of the door to get to the back-hoe first.  :D  The sawmill is all mine though.  She doesn't do a very good job off-bearing or stacking lumber so I have to do it all by myself or get another fellow, who's wife isn't too good at it either, to help.  The Wives usually go to the Mall while we are doing the stuff that they "aren't very good at". :D

We have some Ladies on the forum who could work us into the ground too. You don't hear from them too often because they have their own sawmill equipment and don't want it to look like too much fun or their husbands will barge in a take over. :D :D

"You can do anything with me you want, but, Don't, oh know, Don't !!, throw me into that briar Patch." :D :D

Bibbyman

QuoteWe have some Ladies on the forum who could work us into the ground too. You don't hear from them too often because they have their own sawmill equipment and don't want it to look like too much fun or their husbands will barge in a take over. :D :D

Hummm!   I'm just trying to think if I know anyone like that.  ???  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Welcome aboard Deepwood.  I can say that this site has been full of valuable information and Im sure it will be a benifit for you.

Good to see your wife post with so much support.  Its great to have that.

I am the head of my house and I make the final decision, however my wife is the neck that turns the head  ;D

We make a pretty good team, but I still cant convince her that I NEED to upgrade to that big orange 65 hp cat drivcn LT70 woodmizer.  She says she cant off-board the LT40 as it is so how do I expect here to keep up with something bigger ;D

My response:  Practice 8) 8) 8)

woodmills1

Have you seen the pictures of the wood I stack in the house?

Have you seen how often I do exactly what Mrs wood asks?

I guess you know how nice it is to do things together even though that might mean you both do your own thing.  :D :D :D

Did I mention I vaccum?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Norm

The best marriages are when you work together as a team. I do some things better than Patty and she does some better than me. We have been working together for so many years that sometimes we know what the other one is thinking even before they think it. :D Probably why she says no when we drive by the airport. :D

btw Mrs. DW please don't limit your comments to just one post. Patty stops in here to chat every so often as do several other gals. I don't think of FF as a boys only club, just a great place to chat with folks.

Minnesota_boy

Hi Deepwoods,
Welcome to the information place.  ;D

When you get the Norwood together and start sawing that red pine, let me know if you run into problems.  I've sawed a whack of red pine.  I live about 90 miles west of Grand Rapids, MN.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Stump Jumper

welcome to the deepwoods ;D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Thank You Sponsors!