iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post yer' biggest log you sawed up! PICS PLEASE - here's mine

Started by woodbowl, August 09, 2005, 09:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Somehow I managed to cut  this 40"+ Cypress on my WMlt40 with a scale that goes to 30".                                                                                       
Couldn't get by to make the first cut so I cut a notch with the chainsaw for the blade guides to clear, then shotgunned sawed it all the way around. I've also heared this called gunbarreling. What else have you heared it called?                                                                                                       
End view of shotgunning cut.                                                                     
This one looks kinda' like Michagan..................now don't it?                     
Got into a little Walnut the other day. It's a rare thing in these parts. About the only time you find Walnut in the North Florida area is when it is in an old home place yard...........and full of NAILS!
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Hammy

C. Hammond
Petersons

Jeff

Yep, thats Tom. He and I and a feeble winch got that log up there and we needed a break.  Chet, I used very little lube and didnt have any pitch problems. Probably cause the log was two years old. I'll post some photos of the lumber tomorrow. I have some two by 20's or so that need to be edged. :D

DanG

Looks like Tom is hard at work, pushing over another'n for ya. ;D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

UNCLEBUCK

32 diameter was my biggest and I had alot of flitches until I got 4 flat sides on it which was about 20"x 21" and I was tired and the pay off was to just be able to stand there and saw the whole thing into 1" boards . What a pile of lumber those big logs make . Thats big stuff you guys got sitting there
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

TN_man

Woodbowl,
I have heard it called "barrel" cutting. I guess because it makes look like the the barrel on some makes of guns. My son and I cut up a 52" sycamore for a fella last weekend. He is suppose to email me some pics but I have not gotten them yet. sorry. ::)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Fla._Deadheader

This is why we built the Big Portable. Woodbowl could have made some serious tables with that log.  ;) ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbowl

Sure would have made some dandy tables Harold. Thing is, this customer only wants boards to side with and I can hear the money in his pocket jingle every time he steps around one of those logs. Got one over there bigger than that and I'll have to murder it as well. Maybe I can get some pics of the disecting in progress
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jeff

I got some resawing to do yet, but should have all the 2 by 6s I need to build the roof syatem for a new 12 by 16 yard barn I want to build.  Just think, it was only a Food-Mizer a couple days ago. :D

Gilman

Jeff,
Looks like you could use some hydraulic loading arms to hold those slabs.  ;)

Is that a blade grinder in the background?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

metalspinner

Tn-man,
Hang in there.  I'm still tryin' to figure out this, umm...whatchamacallit...computer?  Pics will come soon. :-[
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Gilman

Welcome Clegaux!  8) Interesting user name.

Looking forward to your pics.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

woodbowl

I did manage to talk him into cutting a few 18" wide bourds though. It would have made 26" boards.

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

Quote from: Gilman on August 10, 2005, 11:55:54 AM
Jeff,
Looks like you could use some hydraulic loading arms to hold those slabs.  ;)

Is that a blade grinder in the background?

Yes and Yes  :D

TexasTimbers

clegaux,

I too was frustrated trying to post pics on this forum whereas on others I'd never had a problem. Hang in there it''ll come to you.
All I had to do was finally sit down long enough to play with it for an hour instead of getting frustrated and quitting.
Never quit!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Fla._Deadheader

Here's one of our biggest. It's an Oak.

We had a bigger Live Oak on there one time, but, we didn't take pics. Tom was visitin with us, at the Widder Woman's place. Maybe he has a pic ???

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

tnlogger

gene

twostroke_blood

pigman

Looks like clegaux has his lumber wizzard looking for iron. :) Keep sawing and he will find it. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

woodbowl

Here's the one that's going to give me problems. 48" at the butt .Will have to whittle it down a bit just to get one cut off.                                         
Ever seen bugs in Cypress? This is that ole' white Cypress DH. Not the good red heart like you pull out of the river and other places. It's big, it's pretty but it won't hold up in the weather like red heart will. Anybody have some info on the different types of Cypress?

TeenSwinger

Hey Chris,
You beat us to it. We just got the pics on email.

Hey pigman, That is my dad scanning the log for nails. We found a few.

Here is another view. We got some good lumber out of it, but unforunately there was some rot that had set in.
Peterson ATS 827  Nyle L200  Ebac 800  Bridgewood M-562

Thank You Sponsors!