iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muy Muy Caliente

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 20, 2005, 02:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

It's HOT, DanG HOT. Just got in from sawing Exotic stuff for the woodcarver.

Started out with a 42" Bisofia. Resembles Mahogany, but stays brown after the air turns it.  Next was a Mahogany, 38".  ::) ::) That log nearly tipped the mill when we loaded it up to the bed.  ::) ::)  Dat's hevvy.  ;D ;D

The power feed started acting up. One time it would go flat out wide open, and the next, it would work just fine.  >:( >:(  HATE IT when that happens. Just go ahead and burn up, so I can KNOW what's happenin.

Nice thing is, we can push the Sawhead by hand if the feed goes out.

Started at 7:30 and by 1PM, we had the customer worked to his knees. He pays by the hour, so, he wants to see us busy.  He's probably 35 years old.  :D :D :D :D :D  We help get the slabs off the mill, and he pulls a small cart with the slab into his shop and stacks.  ;D ;D ;D  He wanted to know if we could finish tomorrow.  ;) ;)  :D :D :D :D

Figgered the temp was over 100° and the humidity is high. NO BREEZE, NONE, NADA.  Like working in an oven. NO SHADE. WE LOCO. We taaard.  ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

BW_Williams

Grab a cold one and head for some shade (or AC), I started at 0600 this morning, it was 50°, could see your breath, by 1000 it was 90°, but thank goodness no humidity and it was a small job.  Next week I've got about 30 logs to mill up at the bible camp, not looking forward to it, but they need the stuff for thier work party on Labor Day.  Oh well, I'm heading down to the crick now!  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

DonE911

Now you know why I left ;D ;D ;D

I just got in from picking up some pine logs... got one trailer load and about 2 more to get.  It's hot up here also .... temp is 92 deg.... don't know what the index is, but its almost as hot as S FL. No breeze up here either.

I gotta stop this going to get free logs until I get a better way to load them.  I'm drag'n em up ramps onto a flatbed with my 4 wheeler... still more work than I want.  I talked to the old guy thats giving them to me, he finally agreed to let me cut them there....  much easier to load boards by hand.

crtreedude

Pretty comfortable here Harold - as I am sure you know. Are you sure you can live without these 100 degree days? We don't have any here. Just one more deprivation you will have to endure.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

It's absolutely beautiful here.  The temperatrue is about 68 degrees, and there is a gentle breeze blowing, no Harsh sun and I'm in shorts and barefooted.  I went outside some this morning and couldn't stand it.  It's hot out there.   I think I'll go get a bowl of ice cream and watch some more TV.   :D

Fla._Deadheader

Keep it up, Fred.  KEEP IT UP  ;D ;D :D :D :D

I am more than ready to try some of those rainy, 75° days.  ;) :) :)

Any word on the Shipping Container thing ??

Right Tom. When I opened the front door this morning, it was like I was checking a cake in the oven.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Haven't even unloaded the Peterson.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Daren

It's been hot (and humid, the worst part) in Illinois too. It's supposed to cool of next week, but it has been right around 90 and some days close to 100 since early JUNE with high heat indexes. The worst part is has snowed In October (3 years ago Halloween, I think) I am soaking wet I did a little sawing today. At least in Florida you don't have to think about snow in 8 weeks,  while your head is pounding from the heat.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Fla._Deadheader

SNOW ???  What's DAT ???  Sounds cool and refreshing.  ;D ;D

Fred, them little fellers better have good stout backs. We sawed all this stuff today, into 2", 3", and 4" slabs.  My back feels broke, and I only helped.  ::) ::) ::) :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Daren

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 20, 2005, 05:01:35 PM

SNOW ??? What's DAT ??? Sounds cool and refreshing. ;D ;D

Yea I don't know what I am whining about, it is kinda cool and refreshing now that I think about it. I could saw in the snow Monday and it would be alright. With an all manual mill and working by myself (all the offloading, stickering...) 50 degrees is 2x as nice as 100.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Furby

Quote from: Daren on August 20, 2005, 04:58:27 PM
The worst part is has snowed In October (3 years ago Halloween, I think). At least in Florida you don't have to think about snow in 8 weeks.
Aw man! You REALLY just ruined my day!
As hot as it is, I DON'T want to think about snow and all the prep work, clean up/removal, and summer setup.

Harold,
You are starting to remind me of my last place of employment!
Was hoping not to have to talk like that again ya know mon?
;)

crtreedude

Hey Harold,

Regarding the container - I think it is a good idea. I talked with Hector last night about it and he said that they make a frame that they put under it so that when it is time to move, they just back a truck back under it and lower it.

Sort of like putting a camper for a pickup on poles - except I am sure much bigger.

Part_Timer

supposed to be 55 in the morning.  I'm going to try and fire the mill up in the morning and cut some walnut and cherry.  Boy it will be nice not to leave the house and step into the oven  8)  8)  8)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

brdmkr

AMEN.  I went out this morning (late morning) to start clearing a road into our land.  I had a bunch of 4 - 5 " hardwoods to cut up with muscadine holding them all together.  Trees too big for a bush hog and too small to mill being held up by natural cable and 100 degrees outside.  You'd think I'd know better :o.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Sounds like some progress being made, Mike.  Did they get the culvert in yet?  That kind of work is tough in this heat. Its been brutal lately...too hot for this old fot!  :-\

Yesterday I dug an old squirrel-cage blower from a commercial a/c unit outta the shed.  The motor was burned out, so I rummaged about in the junk pile and came up with one that works, but I gotta change the brackets out to make it fit.  Thanks to RustReaper, I was able to free up the rusty old bracket and get it off.  I'll install the "new" motor today and put a new cord on it.  Gonna set it up by the mill and see if I can get a little work done for a change. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Got back ½ hour ago. Finished this round of "Sawin-For-Dollars.

The Customer went WATER SKIIN this mornin.  He got back just in time to see all the 3" and 4" slabs we sawed whilst he was playin. He groaned after eyeballin the pile.

I TOLD him he better cancel that skiin trip.  ;) ;) :) :)

He also asked about pricin the mill. He's been after us to price it, since the first time we sawed for him.  ;) ;) ;D ;D  Always looks easier on the controls end of things,  EH ???  :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

brdmkr

DanG

No culvert yet, but there has been some progress.  We basically cut out some small stuff at the road that was too big for a bush hog.  I hope to get the permit this week and start things moving.  I have my eye on a couple of water oaks that look like they need to be sawed this weekend.  The are square in the middle of where I want my road.  Sure would be nice if it would cool off.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Woodcarver

What does your customer carve with the slabs you saw for him, FDH?
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Fla._Deadheader

The guy makes mostly fish, but, also does animals and birds.

For some reason I could not get the better pics to post ????????????/
   First, it is ridiculed;

Woodcarver

Thanks for the pics, FDH. Are those lamps at the rear of the table in the second picture. Lamps are something my wife and I have thought about doing, but haven't attempted yet.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Fla._Deadheader

Yup, them are lamps.  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

You know FDH, I was meaning to tell you this - when you say muy muy caliente, you are saying you are REALLY, REALLY SEXY!  :o

Is there something you are telling us....  :D

The appropriate phrase is Tiene mucho calor!

Fla._Deadheader

Take it any way ya want,  :D :D :D :D :D

I can't get them squiggley little thingys on my keyboard.

According to my Random House, Latin-American Spanish Dictionary, I'm correct. ie: warm, hot, excited. Warm.  ;D ;D :D :D :D  Calor is-heat, ardor, vehemence: cordiality, (heat) of battle.

This is gonna be SOME learnin experience.  :o :o ::) ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

In Spanish, you don't say

I am hot - it means you are really sexy,

You say,

I have warmth (calor)

You can't get all of this from a dictionary - you got to learn grammar SOME day.

Perhaps this explains some of your experiences here.... ;)

rvrdivr

You southerners stop complaining about the heat! This is Florida and that goes with the tarytory :D :D :D For me I hate working with a jacket on. You will never hear me complain about the tempature outside unless it's cold ;D 65 is too cold for me :D 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity is just right ;D :D :D

Now what's all this talk about FDH being to sexy for this shirt, to sexy for his shirt, it hurts  :D :D :D ;D

mike_van

Gonna be 50 F tonight in NW Connecticut - BIG cold front came through -  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!