iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kapusta

Started by petefrom bearswamp, March 15, 2017, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

This dish is from my Hungarian grandmother and my Anglo Saxon mother made it often
Take a small head of cabbage and a couple cloves of garlic.
Slice the above fairly thin and fry in about a tablespoon of bacon grease or olive oil if preferred until is is nicely browned.
Cook an appropriate amount of egg noodles and either mix the noodles in the cabbage, or serve cabbage over the noodles.
Mom made it both ways.
Quick and easy.
some folks also include onion.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

I make this every so often. Simple and DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Raider Bill

Another thing I like to do is fry the cabbage in bacon fat [keep the bacon] then make mashed potatoes and mix the cabbage in them along with bacon.

Dan_Shade

Fried cabbage, I never thought of doing that.  I'll have to try it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sawguy21

Interesting, I'll have to try that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Czech_Made

Thats funny, Kapusta in czech stands for brussel sprouts.  ;D

Do you make lecso too?  That and paprikash are my favored Hungarian dishes.

Chuck White

That really looks good, Pete!   digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 15, 2017, 04:29:40 PM
Fried cabbage, I never thought of doing that.  I'll have to try it.

Throw an apple in it.

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Looks real good. May have to try that.

Dan,

We eat fried cabbage often. We fry a couple of strips of bacon chopped to grease the pan and for flavor, cross cut a package of beef hot dogs into half inch cubes, fry the hot dogs till done. Add a coarsely chopped head of cabbage, cover and stir frequently to keep from scortching. Add a little water along to keep the cabbage moist. Season with a little salt and plenty of black pepper. When the cabbage is tender serve with cornbread.  This is a good dish to cook when camping as few ingredients and one pan.

If you can get them do the same thing with swamp cabbage - heart of palm. Used to be common in central Fla but harder to get ow as too much trouble to cut the palms and too few of them available.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!