iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

canned food

Started by coxy, November 11, 2017, 12:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

how long will is last   I was moving things in the basement  this morning and found a jar of  sour kraut its been there since 1990 I thinks its what my mom and wife made if not its what my grandma made back in the late 70s early 80s  don't know how I never seen it before   is it safe to eat should be good and stinky by now  :D the ring and lid don't look rusty 

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Grizzly

Is the lid still sealed? When you push on the top of it does it click (or whatever you call that noise) or does it stay down? That has always been the test here and we've eaten some older goods. Always been good even after some years but it must still be sealed. That's been jams, vegetables, fruits, etc.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

coxy

ya it clicks  come on down we will open it together and you eat the first half ill eat the second half  :D :D

Dave Shepard

That's not good, the clicking.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

21incher

If it clicks have someone ready to call 911 when you eat it.  They were the good old lids. The new bpa free lids only seal for 2 years max.
I just started 2 crocks, make some fresh kraut. It is super easy to make and won't kill you.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Chuck White

Last November I cooked up a quart of canned venison that I had canned back in November of 1996!

That was 20 years, sitting on the shelf in the cellar!

It was just as good as fresh canned!

The big thing is anything canned, must stay sealed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

Quote from: Chuck White on November 11, 2017, 09:33:48 PM
Last November I cooked up a quart of canned venison that I had canned back in November of 1996!

That was 20 years, sitting on the shelf in the cellar!

It was just as good as fresh canned!

The big thing is anything canned, must stay sealed!
chuck how do you do your venison that is one thing I haven't had since the  early 80s   my  wife wants to do some  (well I want her to do some ) but don't know how  both my grandmas and my mom did it and always put wax on top  was that to keep the meat in the juice  I shur would like a recipe if you want to share :)   21 we are also making kraut again don't know but think she was trying a bit with red cabbage

Chuck White

Venison is one of the easiest things to can!

I get my jars (pints or quarts) ready, then fill them up to the neck of the jar with cut-up venison (usually bite-sized pieces), then add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt and put the seal and ring on the jar!  The venison will make it's own water/juice!

I put them in my pressure cooker and when it gets to temperature, set the timer for 45 minutes, when the timer goes off, turn the burner off and let the cooker cool, do not help it cool!  Warning:  If you release the pressure too fast, you risk cracking some of the jars!

After you remove the jars, give the lid a little extra twist.

Some people don't leave the ring on the jar after they seal, that's just a personal preference!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

We do chicken,since I don't hunt.  ;D
Cook the chicken,put in some chicken broth,pressure cook for 90 minutes. Gives it a whole differant taste.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

We can deer sometimes. We find pints are best for just the 2 of us. Recipe with the canner works fine for us. I pack the jars as tightly as I can with meat. I do not add anything although I do know others who add a little salt like Chuck describes. We bring it up on pressure then cook under pressure 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts. Once the pressure drops we open the lid and tighten the rings. It seals very quickly and tightly.

We add BBQ sauce and a little chipped up onion for very good BBQ. Dice up 5-6 potatoes and one medium to large onion and fry them till brown then add a pint of  drained canned deer meat and season with a little salt & pepper and Whorchester sauce and makes a very good hash. Drain and add a can cream of mushroom soup and heat and served over rice is also good. 

The juice will cook out of the meat and I drain it off when using it. Any meat in the jar above the liquid will darken but looks and tastes the same when re-heated.

I have a dozen or so pints 5-7 years old but my wife resists me using it so I need to cook it when she is away. It is still sealed and safe to eat but she read somewhere a "Best used by ___" note and decided not good anymore. It might have been better when first canned but still pretty dang good now. I doubt you could tell the difference in blind taste test.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DDW_OR

yep if the lid clicks then put the contents in the compost bin

I do not put meat into the compost bin
"let the machines do the work"

coxy

thanks guys   is that why the wax is put on top so it don't darken   and do you have to use a pressure cooker why couldn't you just use boiling water in a big pot to cook the jars and meat

thecfarm

The wife says all meat must be put into a pressure cooking. She has a Ball canning book that says that and she said to google it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

I'm not disagreeing with a female  :D :D tell her thanks for the info 

WV Sawmiller

I know people who use a hot water bath for canning meat but I would not trust it. The deer meat cooks completely in the jars during the process and at a high enough temp to kill all harmful bacteria.

I did not mention earlier but I am with the others above - if the seal is broken and the lid clicks either throw it away or first name me as your beneficiary on your life insurance then go ahead and eat all you want. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Quote from: coxy on November 12, 2017, 06:13:38 PM
thanks guys   is that why the wax is put on top so it don't darken   and do you have to use a pressure cooker why couldn't you just use boiling water in a big pot to cook the jars and meat

The pressure cooker basically cuts your canning time in half, and the "water bath" canners work just fine, but they just take twice as long!

There are all kinds of canning instructions on GOOGLE!

Jemclimber

Meats and vegetables that are not high enough in acidity need to be pressure canned to eliminate botulism.  Waterbath canning is fine for high sugar and high acid foods, like jam and salsa...  Pressure canning raises the water temperature for a long enough time to kill the bacteria that cause botulism.  I know people that can meat in water bath only and believe that by cooking it longer that it's fine.      It's NOT!!!!  No matter how long it's cooked the plain waterbath temperature is insufficient to kill that deadly bacteria.  It's rolling the dice and hoping you don't get botulism by not pressure canning those foods.

lt15

coxy

thanks for the tips   but one thing   how did they can meat back in the day before propane and all   when only a wood stove/oven was it    not trying to be an ash just wondering how they did it

thecfarm

Maybe we had stronger guts back than.

DDW_OR

Quote from: coxy on November 22, 2017, 05:05:50 PM
thanks for the tips   but one thing   how did they can meat back in the day before propane and all   when only a wood stove/oven was it    not trying to be an ash just wondering how they did it
you can use a campfire, or any heat source to get the pressure cooker up to temp.

petefrom bearswamp

Just harder to maintain constant temp with the wood fire.
I can a few pints every year of venison for the wife and i
Pressure canning only.
Makes great stroganoff or cold straight from the jar.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

that's how I like it out of the jar at room temp

DDW_OR

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 22, 2017, 06:08:37 PM
Just harder to maintain constant temp with the wood fire.
I can a few pints every year of venison for the wife and i
Pressure canning only.
Makes great stroganoff or cold straight from the jar.

can you share the recipe?
any or all  food1

coxy

open jar stick in fork get piece of meat chew for 30 seconds or until soft then swallow  :D :D :D :D   sorry couldn't help myself  8)

Thank You Sponsors!