iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

burn used oil in stove ..no mods required

Started by SAW MILLER, March 23, 2014, 02:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAW MILLER

I have too much sawdust and used oil and have found a solution to the problem. simply mix a gallon of oil with enough sawdust to make a cow paddy like mixture.Put it in a doubled shopping bag and toss it in the wood stove.Use only about a half gallon at a time and DO NOT open the door or vents as it will flash and fill your room with smoke!I wish I had some cardboard buckets to use instead of bags but it works.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

sawguy21

The EPA is gonna hate you. ;D The mess in the stove and chimney will not be fun to deal with later and the STINK will not be pleasant.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

For those unfamiliar with it a waste oil drip system has been used since there has been crankcase oil .

My grandfather heated a commercial garage with one during the 20's  .According to my father it didn't  belch big clouds of smoke.

If it's done right the oil is gassified inside the heat source and basically flashs off within .Google it if you like . 

Glenn

AL

My neighbor uses one in his two bay garage and it works great.  Doesn't smoke any more than a regular oil furnace.  It doesn't like synthetic oil though because of the higher flash point.

Al_Smith

I have two friends with commercial waste oil burners .One owns a welding/repair/machine shop .The other has a 60 by 105 building with probabley a half a million dollars worth of Corvettes and Cameros in it .Neither  one of them smoke nor do their oil burners for that matter .One is a world champion beer drinker though if that accounts for anything. ;D

cedarquist treefarm

Greetings from Michigan,
For those of us who have just a few gallons of used oil - it can be used as a fire starter. I have an oil "pumper'. Instead of "oiling" things, I used it to squirt used oil on kindling to start the fire.
My 2 cents

Al_Smith

Waste oil burners work pretty good .The problem is having a supply of used crankcase oil .

I've known one owner of a truck fleet and one  who owned a transmission shop who basically heated their businesses for nothing .Not everybody can round up a huge supply of black oil .

The source of heat is basically the residue  of doing business .It's kind like the tree trimmer that doesn't have a wood stove.I mean that's like getting payed to cut your own fire wood ,kind of .The only way to beat a deal like that is either to own a coal mine or a natural gas well .

bobby s

Our town has a waste oil burner at the transfer station that heats the office there. Nice place to get rid of waste oil and helps keep taxes down a bit! :)

Permaculturist

You could always buy a Mercedes diesel out of the early 80's.  These old cars will run on filtered used motor oil.  I just picked up an '82 300SD with a parts car for next to nothing.  Car only has 170k miles on it, and runs like it's brand new.  It's out of California with no rust.  I'll be burning waste vege oil and waste motor oil in it this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxuV7I6-dik

goose63

How bought beer flats from the local bar the ones 4 six packs come in
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

A guy from work was going to put a waste burner oil furnace in his house. Seem the insurance company said no. Something along that line like that. This was about 10 years ago. Maybe they was concerned about fumes??? I forgot.But I do remember how bummed out he was.He was hot and heavy on it,and talked about it alot,until,the boom came down.  :(
The guy that works on my car has a waste oil buner. But he can't get enough oil to keep him going. He's retired and don't work much on cars now. He put in a OWB to get by on when the oil runs out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

You would have to have a known reliable source for used oil before it was ever considered as a source of heat .

I'd imagine though with some ingenuity a drip system could be adapted to an outside wood burner .Just don't blab it all over the internet and give the neighbors something to whine about .Else the wood burner police will track you down .They are headquartered right next to the chainsaw police . ;D

yukon cornelius

I built a babington burner I was going to use for a shop heater. it has no smoke. it uses compressed air and oil flows over a nozzle. it sprays a mist if oil that is supprizingly flammable. I still haven't finished the heater but the burner is done. it puts off an amazing amount of heat. there are some great youtube videos about it. it was a simple build also.

I also burn waste oil and sawdust a  quart at a time as a fire starter in my  shop. when mixed with the sawdust it seems to smoke very little. I check my flue very often and have noticed no change since I started using it. it lights easily also. I mix mine til it almost a dry consistency.

from my experience more than a quart can be dangerous as it can run away from you. I mean burn hotter and faster than you can choke it down. and as you mentioned it can flash on you pretty bad if opening the door. I also never leave it unattended until all the oil is burned up.

I cant say id recommend it to anyone but I do use it.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

jwilly3879

My grandfather had five gallon metal pail set on a shelf about 5' from the woodstove and 1/8" copper tube wrapped around the stove pipe with a ball valve at the bucket. He would set it up so the oil just dripped out of the tubing into the fire box of the old smoke dragon. He would start to use it when he had a good bed of coals and it would burn a long time without adding wood. With no smoke at all.

Al_Smith

FWIW there must be a zillion designs of oil burners,drip systems etc. on the internet .Google is your friend .

cutter88

Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Logging logginglogging

SAW MILLER

I did burn a good bit this past winter. I just started filling plastic shopping bags with sawdust that was soaked with oil and tied them up.throw one in every once in a while but don't open the door or vents or it will flash.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

slab

Google how to build murphy's homemade outside or oil burner
all the eqipment to run saw mill (loders trucks         trailers  ect,) nicely equiped woodworking shop timber wolf tw-6  but no sawmill yet  (wish list 3665 baker)

SPIKER

I been pouring my oil thru a few clean shop rags, then into the diesel jug quart or so to 4 gallons can't even see a bit of smoke in the exhaust but my old tractor says to run #2 fuel oil in it so the added lube is probably good for it. :D ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Lynard

Can I use recycled oil in my existing coal stove; that in reality I only burn wood in now IN MY HOUSE.  I learned of the technique of making a wood stove into a recycled oil burner with a drip and fan.  I experimented in my stove with just the oil;about 2 cups in a stainless steel bowl WITHOUT the drip and fan.  I just put the oil in the bowl; in the ash pan,e and lit a napkin and laid it in the oil.  in a couple of mins. It was burning good and about two cups of oil burned for about 30 min.
It was more of a soft burn not the loud blow torch burn you get with the air injection onto the oil.   I would like to use this technique to supplement heat and save wood.  But I have a few questions and concerns.  First: Is it safe, carbon monoxide wise, to burn like this.  It seems to be drafting great, I do not smell any oil burning or smoke escaping into the house.  I understand it in not as efficient of a burn since i did not install a fan to blow onto the fire. Second:  Can I use this technique in combination with wood burning.  My coal stove has shakers/grates with an ash pan 8 inches below it.  I was thinking i could put the oil pan in the ash pan and lite it and use that as a form of 30 min. heat and fire starter for the wood I place on the shakers above.  In Theory, to me, this seems like it would work great!  but since I have never done this before I wanted to poll the wise!  Is there any flaws in my plan?? 
Work hard, Play hard, stay...

Thank You Sponsors!