iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A different kind of saw.

Started by Dave Shepard, March 07, 2009, 07:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I just said WM cause that's what I have. Not biased or anything ;) I sent a couple request about diamond coated bands, noone lists their prices :P
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dave Shepard

I have an old Wood-Mizer Way, or maybe it was the earlier Wood-Mizer News that had an article about a man in Miami cutting "Miami Oolite" on his LT40. I think his name was Barry Masin (sp), but it's been years since I read the article. I could probably find it if you wanted. He was still cutting wood, so I suspect he was just switching back and forth between a toothed band and a diamond encrusted band. I wouldn't want all the slurry around a bandmill myself, too abrasive for my tastes.

The wire saw has gone through a couple of upgrades, and is working like a champ.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tyb525

I was thinking the same about the slurry. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to build a small wire saw.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

I got puddinstones we can experiment on!  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tyb525

Jeff, if I figure something out I'll let you know, and I'd be happy to cut your puddin stones! ;D

Dave Shepard

If you look around, you might find a big old vertical bandsaw. My friend that built the big saw has a vertical bandsaw with 42" wheels that he is going to convert to wire, although he may be using some leftover wire wheels. A wire saw wheel has a deep groove designed to capture a rubber "tire". I don't think I have any close ups anywhere.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Moved a couple of saw blocks back to the shop this weekend. 6.5 and 5.4 tons. These are on the small side., have a bunch of 12 tonners to bring home.

thecfarm

Yes,small is right. I have some bigger ones in my field.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!