iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer's flat packed blades

Started by whittle1, April 04, 2016, 06:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittle1

Have any of you opened blades from woodmizer flat packed? There's 15 blades stacked one inside the other and then folded with a piece of 1/4 cold roll crimped around them and then a heavy wire tie (Panduit strap) tied around the outside bend. Either I'm stupid or Woodmizer has finally built the better mousetrap. The first attempt I used a Metabo to cut the cold roll nearly took my feet out from under me when released. Then cut the wire tie and sprung but nearly as bad. On the 2nd set I thought I would cut the wire tie first that was a mistake the blades started trying to ride up out of the circle not in order maybe 3 and 7 out of the stack of 15. Still had to cut the cold roll. Have not contacted Woodmizer yet but thought some of you may have experience with these.

terrifictimbersllc

Good heavens you don't cut that!!! :D :D :D  Or at least live to tell about it.  :o :o :o   Put on gloves and take out the whole pack, then lay it on the other side and you'll see that the 1/4 steel clip is open.  You cut the tie  at the top and now you can take out the outer blade one at a time.  Put them back the same way.

I don't know why woodmizer packs them with the teeth facing the opposite way from the opening in the clip.   I stand the pack against my legs and take a blade out opposite the side that is against my legs.   That is AFTER I turn the clip around.  Mostly I package mine back up that way after I resharpen them.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MartyParsons

Hello,
Yes ONE AT A TIME.

There is a picture on the inside cover that explains how to remove one blade.

I did a service in Northern PA. I asked the owner to please get me a new blade. He said he had a new box.  I saw him grab the bolt cutters.  :o
I then said some words. Then I helped him understand.
He said the year before he spent the first day of deer season in the ER and received some stitches to keep the orange blood from flowing.  :-\
If you need help ask. It is not hard once you see how it works. It saves injury. ( if you knew how many times I hear, " I just take the coil and throw it it opens up) " . Not real safe. We show everyone when we do the mill training. It really saves space compared to a cube box.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WV Sawmiller

Whittle1,

Be sure when you send them back for resharp you leave that clip on too. I did not and there were some unhappy WM team members.

I store and transport my blades in the same fashion.

Closed box. Rope handles at the top. Hinged at the bottom. Lift from the top, open and one size band stays on each side. I select and remove the one I want one band at a time.

Open box. 10's & 4's in one box. 7's and turbo 7's in the other box.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bkaimwood

I have not yet attempted to send a box back for resharp yet...partially due to lack of time, the rest due to fear and convenience.. The latter part good for Marty, as I just keep ordering new blades..if I had to guess, 5 or 6 boxes now...I promise soon, to someday try this feat...maybe after I order a strapping set up...
bk

4x4American

X2 to what TTLLC said, I spin that clip around so that the opening is where the teeth are facing.  Makes it much easier. 

I almost bet that WM has a video on the subject
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

Quote from: MartyParsons on April 04, 2016, 07:43:13 PM
Hello,
Yes ONE AT A TIME.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

AnthonyW

I transport my blades like WV Sawmiller. New blades in the wooden transport box, used blades in the WM cardboard box. Once there are 15 back in the WM box, tape and send. I just assembled 2 more boxes. I started with 10s, then tried 7s. Just acquired a variety pack of 60 blades, some 10s, 7s, 7 turbos, 9s, and 4s. I will sort the new acquisition into the wooden boxes. I even figured out how to make my own metal clips. I don't think WM could tell the difference.  ;D
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

trapper

I find the flat box easier than coiling and uncoiling.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A box of blades can be like a Hand Grenade to the inexperienced.
I was inexperienced.....twice.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 04, 2016, 10:05:13 PM

More like sorting ticked off cats.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: paul case on April 04, 2016, 10:12:27 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 04, 2016, 10:05:13 PM

More like sorting ticked off cats.

PC

When I first read this Paul I thought you said "like picking Tics off a Cat"......same thing I guess.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

I take them out of the flat box, and when they're dull I coil them and put them a square box.  A lot easier than to put them back in a flat box.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

Flat pack is the only way for me. Could take up too much room and I don't like coiling .055s.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CWarner

A lot of helpful tips! Here are a few videos on packing and unpacking a flatpack box:

Unpacking Blades from a ReSharp Flatpack: http://bit.ly/1UFIA9Z
Packing Blades in a ReSharp Flatpack: http://bit.ly/1V6zYJs

Very good comments on Wood-Mizer packing the teeth towards the opening instead of away from. Also, there may be space for a QR code on the boxes that links to the videos showing how to pack and unpack the box :)

Thank you for all the comments, happy sawing  8)

For more video tips, visit http://www.woodmizer.com/tips

justallan1

Although I somehow got lucky and accidently have always done this one correctly, I see this post as more of what this site is all about, sharing ones experience and getting some respectful feedback so many others can learn from it.
Great post.

Andries

times two justallan1!
Most of us take the things we "know" for granted.
Great site and thoughtful replies to the original post.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

whittle1

Thanks a lot Guys, Greaty replies. Will have to watch that video. What I did is a perfect example of being in a hurry and not taking time to think things thru. Something we preach to the guys at work all the time but are guilty of not taking Safety home with us. Again thanks for the replys and some humerous comments.

doug olsen

Thx for the links CW....BUT when I try to bring them up either of those links, it appears that I bypass them....What am I missing and doing wrong ??
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

CWarner

I apologize Doug! Here are corrected links to the videos on our YouTube page:

Unpacking Blades from a Flatpack Box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ocpm1X4tA

Packing Blades in a Flatpack Box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KfXxoME60Q

AnthonyW

Quote from: CWarner on April 05, 2016, 08:14:19 AM
A lot of helpful tips! Here are a few videos on packing and unpacking a flatpack box:

Very good comments on Wood-Mizer packing the teeth towards the opening instead of away from. Also, there may be space for a QR code on the boxes that links to the videos showing how to pack and unpack the box :)

That's funny. I like the teeth pointing down and away from the opening in the clip. I find it easier to slip my fingers in between the first and second blade near the top of the inner loop and then slide them towards the clip in order to get them out. I don't care for opening the box and looking at the equivalent of a piranha's mouth. I put a piece of cardboard under the blades and teeth to keep them from chewing up the boxes, either WM or my plywood ones.

The videos are great if you have that much space to open the box and remove them like that. I prefer to remove them similar to the reverse of how they were added. As you can see in the video, when you remove them, the teeth are pointing towards you. If the teeth are down in the box, the teeth are pointing away. I find WM does an excellent job sharpening all of those teeth  ::).
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Dave Shepard

My new bands come with the teeth down, and the clip side towards the side they were standing on, 180 of what they showed in the videos. I find it much easier to repackage be hooking the backside of the pretzel then following the loop around and tucking into the clip. ReSharpened bands come back teeth up, and that's how I repackage.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kjellv

Quote from: CWarner on April 05, 2016, 08:14:19 AM

I hate the woodmizer site. I'm located in Europe, and when I go to woodmizer.com I'm redirected to the woodmizer-europe.com main page. It's just silly that people in Europe (and other parts of the world?) can't see the US site.

Anyone here who knows about an easy fix to this?

terrifictimbersllc

Probably no help here, but when I type in woodmizer-europe.com it goes to that page.
When I enter woodmizer.com, it loads "woodmizer.com/us/"
Did you try typing in either of these in the url box?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

I asked a computer scientist your question and he suggested that it is usually the top-level pages at a site that get re-directed.   Sub-pages or secondary pages might not be re-directed. 

For example search on woodmizer.com/us "topic" where topic is something at the site which will enable the search engine to find a secondary page at the site.   Then in the search results you can click on the link to the secondary page and might not be re-directed.

Example, search on the following:      woodmizer.com/us "flat pack" and you will find links to the US pages with this subject

kjellv

It's everything that lies under the woodmier.com domain.

Received a tip via PM from another user with the same problem. The Tor browser will probably solve the problem as it doesn't let the website know my location.

edkemper

One of the greatest services WoodMizer offers is their videos. The first box I unpacked was with my computer and YouTube sitting right next to the box.

Haven't tried any other packaging types. I like the flat box.

When I have to open a new box, I remove all of them and hang them up. As I use them, they are returned to the flat box until it's full.

Not liking heavy gloves has taught me to be a bit more careful.
Old Man

WV Sawmiller

Ed,

Hanging up the blades sounds like a good system if you are stationary. Those of us who are mobile have to keep them packed in some form or another. Flat packed works fine for me in my hinged boxes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!