iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tamarack for live edge siding?

Started by 4orrwantmore, April 11, 2016, 09:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4orrwantmore

Hello all
I've recently come into a nice stand of tamarack that my friend needs removed, and I am in the need for some live edge siding for my cabin build. My question here is, are there any concerns or special considerations to using this for this application?

Thanks for any and all

John

Magicman

Hello and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, 4orrwantmore.  Adding your location to your profile always helps with answering questions.  Will you be sawing it yourself?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

Tamarack,in my opinion,would not be a good choice for live edge siding.It is a very ornery wood.In Vermont it is used by some as an alternative for pressure treated decking.It must be screwed down to keep from twisting and lifting.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, 4orrwantmore!

I too think that the Tamarack will want to twist and/or curl!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KBforester

I sawn quite a bit of tamarack. I'm under the belief their are regional, genetic, or site variations. I've seen sites where you can actually see twisted grain on a standing tree... in my woodlot though I've had pretty good luck with it. The boards that were bad were bad right off the mill (think potato chip) but if they came off ok, they stayed ok. But I don't see the twisted grain I've seen in other stands. You will have to put it up green though. I put lag bolts through some semi dry posts this weekend and it taught my impact driver a serious lesson. Had to switch to a ratchet which in turn taught my arms a lesson.
Trees are good.

1ruralmailman

have to agree.it can be a onery wood that will twist and warp,or a great one that lasts a long time.i once sawed a few 4x4 posts for a shed a guy was building,all but one was fine the last one twisted a quarter turn over 8 feet in length after a few weeks,if i was going to use it like you want to i would definitley cut it,and nail it with ring shank nails,preferably the same day.

4orrwantmore

Thanks for the replies. Im glad I asked!  I will ask then; I have available for live edge siding, white pine, white spruce, and red pine. Which of these is preferred for this application?  My thought for the tamarack was that it had better rot resistance than the others.

I will have the tamarack logs either way, what is a good use for them?

Thanks, John

1ruralmailman

6x6 to store logs,or sawn lumber on comes to mind.

Doug Wis

I agree with KB, lots of variation. haven't sawn much but most has been decent. If it  turns out good, makes some beautiful paneling. I would sure try the siding you are planning
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

Bandmill Bandit

Most tamarack makes it own rules.

Cut and install and fasten VERY WELL. the bigger trees don't move as much and certain types are a bit better.

Tamarack likes wet locations. IT will out las treated stuff by a long shot. its great for in/on the ground.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!