iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a great deal on some walnut

Started by 123maxbars, April 16, 2016, 10:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Local farmer called this week with about 1k bf of black walnut logs
Said they were in his way on the hay field. The two biggest logs are 23in on the small end.
Got all 10 of them for .40 cents a board foot. As usual I brought my camera along to record the process.
I have a special needs son and he loves watching my videos. The biggest reason I make them.

http://youtu.be/OCzp5Sv0374
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

OK, so what was in da bucket??   ???

Two different tractors so I am assuming two different landowners?

You got some very nice logs.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

123maxbars

Same landowner. Just two differs days
First day the landowner was plowing his fields
So he sent his neighbor

I agree some very nice logs!
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: 123maxbars on April 16, 2016, 10:06:54 AM
Local farmer called this week with about 1k bf of black walnut logs
Said they were in his way on the hay field. The two biggest logs are 23in on the small end.
Got all 10 of them for .40 cents a board foot. As usual I brought my camera along to record the process.
I have a special needs son and he loves watching my videos. The biggest reason I make them.

http://youtu.be/OCzp5Sv0374

I'm glad your son likes the videos. Worth the effort just to make him happy.

Watching your video raised a question in my mind. You mention buying the logs at a bf price. I have the International 1/4 rule on the back of my business cards but I assume that is an estimate for good straight logs. Obviously these logs had lots of sweep and the crotches in them. Since they are walnut you will likely be able to make a bunch of short and weird cuts to use nearly all of it but how do you estimate the bf content on crooked logs like that? Do you just act as if it were straight and ignore the limb stubs and such? I know a commercial mill would have a formula for deducting for sweep and such. Don't know if it is a formal rule or just experienced log buyer estimates. How did you two compute in this case?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

123maxbars

Normally I would deduct footage due to the sweeps etc.
but at this very low price that i got them we just
Measured them as if they were straight logs
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

Value is in the eyes of the beholder seller and buyer.  If both are satisfied, then it was a good deal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tmbrcruiser

Nice logs, wish our walnut (Delmarva Peninsula) had narrow sap wood. We tend to have sap wood of 3" to 4" on most logs. I have a similar trailer that I have been bringing logs home on and have a lot more wrinkles in my fenders. Liked the video.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Thank You Sponsors!