iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Overload

Started by iffy, April 16, 2016, 05:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

This is going to be interesting on my 36" Linn.

Magicman

I always look forward to the challenge.  I guess I love misery.   :o   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

iffy

Was using oilfield pipe for my ramps when I parbuckled it on the trailer and now one of my pipes has a nice "U" shape. Tried to pick it up with my 4020 John Deere but the back wheels just came up.

ozarkgem

just maxed out my mill with a big Sycamore. It will be a challenge. Let us now how long it takes you. I think I spent about 2 hrs on mine.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Sixacresand

The big ones are a lot of work.  Best if you get the knotty protrusions off with a chain saw.  A tip I learned on the forum is that if you are unsure that the saw head will clear the whole length of the log in a cut, then try it first with the blade off.  Takes time but better than getting stuck in a cut.  Maxed out size logs on my mill are whittled down to make them manageable.  Then I wind up with an 6-8 sided cant.  I am sure there is a better technique.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

iffy

That is pretty much my plan. As long as the carriage will clear it my first cuts should be high enough to clear the rounded profile. I hope.

Cazzhrdwd

I've been doing lots of big 16ft red oaks that size lately. I have done several in the 30" range directly on the mill because I want to be able to sell wide lumber, my customers love it. I have found that a log like that takes about 21/2 hours to mill.

If I cut it in half with a chainsaw it takes about half the time and much easier work. Its a bit of a job cutting 16ft longs by length (about 20mins) but it sure makes cutting it into lumber easier.

If you don't need the wide lumber cut it in half. Its really easy, I start with a 50" bar on my saw. Put the log on two evenly space logs underneath. I then stand on top of the log and saw vertically along a board I've nailed to the top of the log. Finish it up on the opposite end standing on the ground. Easy peasy. :)
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Kbeitz

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on April 17, 2016, 08:17:27 PM
I've been doing lots of big 16ft red oaks that size lately. I have done several in the 30" range directly on the mill because I want to be able to sell wide lumber, my customers love it. I have found that a log like that takes about 21/2 hours to mill.

If I cut it in half with a chainsaw it takes about half the time and much easier work. Its a bit of a job cutting 16ft longs by length (about 20mins) but it sure makes cutting it into lumber easier.

If you don't need the wide lumber cut it in half. Its really easy, I start with a 50" bar on my saw. Put the log on two evenly space logs underneath. I then stand on top of the log and saw vertically along a board I've nailed to the top of the log. Finish it up on the opposite end standing on the ground. Easy peasy. :)

Now I like that idea...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Take the saw head to the end and back up to the log or whatever else you need to do to insure that the head will pass when you make a cut.  Always.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

iffy

Yeh. I was planning on pulling the blade and doing that. Don't have a chainsaw that will reach thru and trying to line up ripping cuts from 2 sides never ends well so will just keep whittling.

Magicman

Also you may need to shift the log toward the side support side as far as possible:  LINK  Just be careful.

Thank You Sponsors!