iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture meter

Started by rbarshaw, July 24, 2004, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarshaw

I just bought a moisture meter from Harborfreight.com, item # 02757-ordh. It's only $30, made by cen-tech, dual range 7-15% and 16-35% +/-1.

What do you think. Is it any good. I haven't gotten it yet but at $30 thought it might be worth a try.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Den Socling

We sell Delmhorst. I needed a Wagner ($600 range). I bought a Delmhorst pinless (like a Wagner) for a couple hundred. It's a piece of crap compared to a Wagner. I frequently say to myself while using it "you get what you pay for". Let's see .... what will you get for $30?

WoodChucker

QuoteWe sell Delmhorst. I needed a Wagner ($600 range). I bought a Delmhorst pinless (like a Wagner) for a couple hundred. It's a piece of crap compared to a Wagner. I frequently say to myself while using it "you get what you pay for". Let's see .... what will you get for $30?

Den, I'm a little confused about your response, are you saying you sell the Delmhorst meters but you don't like them, so you recommend getting the Wagner?  Why not just sell the Wagner brand then? Thanks!

R.T.  
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Den Socling

We sell Delmhorst stick meters because we can run extensions for the pins through the wall of our vac kilns. They make good stick meters so I thought I'd try one of their 'pinless' capacitive meters. I won't be selling their pinless meter. Same thing with their digital hygrometer. I evaluated one, told Delmhorst of it's shortcomings and they took it back. Their trouble is this: because they make the stick meter, we assume that all of their products are for the forest products industry. They are not.

WoodChucker

OK thanks Den, now I get it.  ;D

I was hoping I read it wrong because I bought a Delmhorst Accuscan a couple of weeks ago that I've not even used yet. But I didn't really buy it for the Kiln, I got it to check my boards when woodworking. Maybe it will be OK for that. :(

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Den Socling

At low MC the Accuscan seems OK. At higher MC it seems iffy. High density stuff like WO and a little moisture reads too high, I think.

WoodChucker

OK, thanks again!  I have a friend that uses a Wagner, so next week we're going to get together and compare the two just to see if there close or not.

R.T.

rbarshaw

Well I've got the meter and checked the wood i've cut. I've got nothing but SYP that i've cut on a weekly basis for 8 months, all air drying under a roof with three open sides. The oldest stuff reads 13 to 15%, the newest reads 35+%, with each sucessive weeks worth reading appropriately. I've also got a piece of 1" that has been in the house for 6 months, it reads at 8%. I don't know how accurate it is but it looks like it works to me!
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Thank You Sponsors!