iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacutherm iDry input

Started by schwanee, August 04, 2018, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Stephen1,  is the Radial kiln using steam or radio-frequency and vacuum?  Where is it made?  I am not familiar with the name.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Stephen1

It is my understanding it is made in North America, it uses radio frequency and vacuum to dry the wood. I do know he has a large waiting list for his 2 kilns. When ever I have taken wood to him, I wait about 6 weeks to get it in the kiln and then i have it back in under 2 weeks. I am seeing a need for a fast turn around of Kiln Dried wood, mine or another sawyers. i would prefer not to get in the business of running a store.
In this day and age and my location to the big city Of Toronto, full of people that want their wood back yesterday, I do see the need for fast Kiln service and a sharpening service. 
Sawmills are popping up all around me and I think that servicing the Sawyer, Kiln and Sharpening I could have a nice business.  
so because of the way I have been thinking, I am paying attention to the Kiln side of the lumber, I have been doing pretty good on the sawing part, now onto something new.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Busysawyer

After much deliberation I finally pulled the trigger on the idry. Very excited about what this is going to do for our business. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

nativewolf

Quote from: Busysawyer on September 11, 2018, 03:53:10 PM
After much deliberation I finally pulled the trigger on the idry. Very excited about what this is going to do for our business.
Sounds like a long lead time.  Obviously pictures wanted!  Our own build is so slow this would be faster.
Liking Walnut

Busysawyer

Nativewolf, there will definitely be some pics. Not excited about the lead time but what do you do. Vaccutherm is saying about ten weeks. It took about that for woodmizer to get me my mill and Baker just told me they are 6months out for a mill so I guess ten weeks isn't that long.

nativewolf

Looking forward to the pics.  I guess a 10 week wait is also a good sign, they are selling like crazy.
Liking Walnut

Just Right

Good for you Busy.  I am leaning that way hard myself!  Can't wait to pick your brain.  I am actually going to the guy who bought the floor model from the IWF here in Atlanta a few weeks ago.  Going to see what he thinks about it.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

nativewolf

Quote from: Just Right on September 20, 2018, 11:44:04 AM
Good for you Busy.  I am leaning that way hard myself!  Can't wait to pick your brain.  I am actually going to the guy who bought the floor model from the IWF here in Atlanta a few weeks ago.  Going to see what he thinks about it.
Detailed report requested.  Wood quality, drying time, species he's tried, loading & unloading issues, energy use, heck what type of coffee he drinks :).
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Just wondering if there were any shipment updates?
Liking Walnut

Just Right

I did have a chance to talk to the guy running an Idry.  They love it.  He did notice on some mega wide poplar that there was some cupping.  But nothing but good things to say.  I asked Jim parker about shipping and he said pan on 8 to 10 weeks.  Hope this helps.

E-Tex

Quote from: Just Right on October 16, 2018, 12:06:28 PM
I did have a chance to talk to the guy running an Idry.  They love it.  He did notice on some mega wide poplar that there was some cupping.  But nothing but good things to say.  I asked Jim parker about shipping and he said pan on 8 to 10 weeks.  Hope this helps.
Did this guy speak to drying times needed for 4/4 or 8/4 or other for certain species?  I'm curious if the i-Dry claims of "1-week per inch of thickness" is fairly accurate.
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Just Right

Yes he did say that it was pretty much spot on as advertised.  Said he dried green ERC in a few days.

Busysawyer

Mr. Parker is saying we are still on schedule for November 15. I have the concrete poured,  boiler up and running.  Just need to so a little electrical work and I'll be ready for delivery.

scsmith42

Quote from: E-Tex on October 17, 2018, 09:03:54 AM
Quote from: Just Right on October 16, 2018, 12:06:28 PM
I did have a chance to talk to the guy running an Idry.  They love it.  He did notice on some mega wide poplar that there was some cupping.  But nothing but good things to say.  I asked Jim parker about shipping and he said pan on 8 to 10 weeks.  Hope this helps.
Did this guy speak to drying times needed for 4/4 or 8/4 or other for certain species?  I'm curious if the i-Dry claims of "1-week per inch of thickness" is fairly accurate.
When I spoke with Jim he mentioned that the 1 week per inch rule did not apply to white oak, but with other species was pretty accurate.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

White oak has its own rules :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

I'm planning to stop by Vacutherm mid next month to check out an IDry and look over their plant.  Ought to be interesting.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Just Right

It does sound like a good plan to go visit them.  I did end up talking to the engineer the other day and he said for white oak,  you would be better off to air dry it for a while then dry it.

Busysawyer

Well I recieved the completion date email a couple days ago. When I ordered I was told about 10-12 weeks for completion. That would put it around the fourth of December. They will have the kiln ready on November 1st. A little over 7 weeks from the order date. Jim and the other guys at vaccutherm have been great to deal with. Problem is that of course I'm not going to be ready for it. I scheduled the spray foam contractors for November 9th. I'm getting 3in of closed cell on the barn walls and 6in of open cell on the roof deck. I might have to put the kiln in the middle of the barn and cover it with plastic and have the guys work around it. A few weeks ago they were saying kiln completion on November 15 possibly earlier. Well earlier it is. Now the pressure is on. So much to do, so little time.

Just Right

Well Busy,  It could of went the other way.  I feel that I will be in the same boat.  I just about have all the materials ready for the building that I will be putting mine in.  Will you go get yours or let them deliver it?  He figured my shipping would be 3500.00 . . . . . .so I am thinking road trip and save that.  Plus I have never had the chance to go up to the north east.  I know you are excited about the new addition though,  that is gonna be fun.

E-Tex

Quote from: Just Right on October 25, 2018, 07:43:51 AM
Well Busy,  It could of went the other way.  I feel that I will be in the same boat.  I just about have all the materials ready for the building that I will be putting mine in.  Will you go get yours or let them deliver it?  He figured my shipping would be 3500.00 . . . . . .so I am thinking road trip and save that.  Plus I have never had the chance to go up to the north east.  I know you are excited about the new addition though,  that is gonna be fun.
Just Right..... you got in the game too with an i-Dry?  very nice, congratulations!
I'm going to have to quit reading this forum, the peer pressure is too much for me (and too expensive)!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Busysawyer

Just right, they quoted me 3k for shipping. I thought about picking it up but will probably just pay the shipping so I don't have to worry about it.

Just Right

ETEX  yes I have made the decision to get an IDry.  I will be retiring end of Jan and want to coordinate pick up after that.  Figure a lil happy retiring gift to my self so to speak.  I  am just hung up at a kiln.  I don't mind paying someone to do it for me,  but it is at their leisure or availability.  And an hour away one way.  Like Busy mentioned above,  I can see selling more cause I can tell customers that I can dry 12/4 in a month or less and not 3 years.

Busy  After a 30 year career as an Air Traffic Controller in a dark room for most of it . . . .I am ready for the slow pace of a good long road trip.  If not I def would pay for the shipping.

Busysawyer

Just right, are you getting it with electric heat or boiler heat? 

Just Right

Well it is just my opinion,  but I see the extra expense of the boiler option as I am paying for me to have to do more work.  So I opted for the electric.  just easier for me to pay the bill and if I want to go hunting fishing or anything I don't have to worry daily about the kiln being heated.  I am however leaning toward the bladder that goes on the inside for the added pressure for keeping the wood flat.  What is your opinion of that?

Busysawyer

I think I will be ordering the bladder at some point. I'm done spending money for awhile though. Getting the barn finished up is killing me financially.  Concrete, insulation, electrical and plumbing. Plus the cost of the kiln, wood boiler and getting everything hooked up. It all adds up to a ton of money for someone like me. I wanted to heat my house and barn with a wood boiler so I figured I might as well get a large boiler and heat the kiln as well. I'm pretty sure they told me the kiln will need about 40k btu to heat it.  So far I'm able to heat my house and domestic hot water for about 7 days on a single load. In the warmer months I think I should be able to heat the kiln for a week at a time with a single load without a problem.  The fact that the kiln has it's own 50amp breaker tells me it's going to suck electric and at this point I only have 100 amps to the barn. Very excited to get this barn wrapped up and the kiln going.

Thank You Sponsors!