iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

block heaters

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2018, 03:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Learned something new today... Thanks for the education ...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PA_Walnut

I'm assuming oil viscosity and/or use of synthetics are topics that play during these temps.

I've tried to move all my machines to synthetics, not only for their wear characteristics, but for their ability to flow better at lower temps. (ie. can go with lower viscosity synthetics, over dino oils, and get same or better performance).

I often hear theories, conjecture, blah blah about "modern engines don't need warmed up..." or "that was during the era of carb engines..." blah blah, but some good common sense would dictate that most wear is during the transition from cold to hot and during those times, the engine is most stressed. For me, some nice/long warmup times is the standard.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

thecfarm

I feel the engine is nice and warm,with a block heater. No spit and sputter. I have 2 tractors and both will start right up and sound good.  But needs a block heater for the hyds.  ;D  That motor will make some noise.  :o I have no idea how long it takes,but when I go back to the tractor,after about 10 minutes, all is quiet
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

My late 80s JD has a block heater in a water jacket which is normal but my newer Kubota doesn't have anything built in although it's easy to stick a magnetic heater on the bottom of the oil pan which I feel is good enough. I may look under and see if there's a place to stick a magnetic heater on the hydraulic reservoir, they are cheap and easy.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Dave Shepard

Hydraulic reservoir is probably the rearend/transmission. I have a Kubota L48 and I let it run for 5-10 minutes then go easy until everything is limbered up.  The loader, backhoe, and hydrostatic transmission are noticeably stiff until some warm hydraulic fluid has been circulated.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John Mc

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 07, 2018, 07:57:58 AM
Learned something new today... Thanks for the education ...

No guarantee it works the same way on a diesel as on an air-cooled aircraft engine, but the concept at least makes sense to me.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Corley5

I've got frost plug heaters on the Bobcat, 3-53 in the Franklin, 706 Farmall, and 401 Case.  I had a circulating heater on the Perkins in the Iron Mule.  The Fabtek harvester has a ProHeat and the Dodge Cummins and 7.3 Ford have their stock heaters.  The Dodge will start with the grid heater when it's cold and is seldom plugged in.  The Ford needs to be plugged in below 15 degrees and likes to be plugged if it's 25 or colder.  The Bobcat's Kubota starts good with just the glow plugs unless it's 20 or colder but I plug it in for good measure if it's near an outlet.  The 353 in the Franklin has a 1,000 watt element.  Plug it in for an hour and it starts like it's 70 degrees.  The 706 it doesn't matter.  Plug it in and it still needs a shot of ether in July when it's 80  ;) ;D. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

I'm guessing the 706 has the D282? We had one of those that needed to be glowed in the middle of summer right after it was shut off.  :D We replaced it with an engine out of a TD9B. It has a different style injector pump and starts very well in the cold. Has a turbo, too.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

Ya, it's an early one with a low 4 digit serial #.  Haying with it I never shut it off unless I really had too like to unplug the baler.  And to get it restarted a shot of ether helped ;D ;D

Dave Shepard

The glow plugs must not be working at all, then.

Corley5

I had them checked along with the injectors when the pump was rebuilt.  They replaced  three of them then.  I think.  That was a several years ago.  I think a lack of compression is big factor with this one ;) ;D

Dave Shepard

Yeah, that'll do it.  :D Probably only has 18,000 hours.

snowstorm

Your 7.3 needs glow plugs or the relay. Mine will start to -15 at least. When I first got the 6.7 I tried it at 30 below. It started

Grizzly

Y'all keep discussing this and it keeps popping up in my unread page and my pathetic humour has finally broke and I will share the first version of "block heater" that I learned. It looked something like this:

I learned about the real ones later.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Corley5

Some of the glow plugs work in it.  It won't start at all if they're not used ;D :)

Corley5

The hour meter in the 706 reads 4,600 and some odd hours.  It didn't work when we got it.  That'll be 12 years ago in April  ;D :)  Time flies.  It's nice to go back to gallery and look at dates on pictures 8) 8)

Dave Shepard

One of ours says 3200 or something like that. Probably close to 20000.

Looks good.  34" rubber? I hate 34" rubber.

51cub

Thank you, John Mc! I got reading around some today and ran across something about condensation. I'd have never thought I was making that much, but that's what I get for thinking. Thanks again!
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

4x4American

I have a block heater for the sawmill coming in the mail.  Looking forward to having it, but by then it'll be warm out lol

It's the kind that threads in think I use pipe dope on it?
Boy, back in my day..

Corley5

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 07, 2018, 08:10:37 PM
One of ours says 3200 or something like that. Probably close to 20000.

Looks good.  34" rubber? I hate 34" rubber.

It had those on it when we hauled it home.  I think they were 15?X38s.  We found a pair 16.4s ??? :-\  It looks much better with them on it 8)  It didn't look right with the other tires on it.  These fill the fenders better ;D

Andries

Quote from: Grizzly on January 07, 2018, 02:45:15 PM
........ I will share the first version of "block heater" that I learned:

I learned about the real ones later.

Good one!
We Canadians must be a bunch of blockheads, 'cause we've ALL got one of those Block Heaters!
:D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!