iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rebuilding Clark torque converter

Started by rockwall, March 27, 2015, 11:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockwall

I think this is a good time to rebuild the converter in my ranger 664. What is the easiest way to get it out of the machine? Any tips would be appreciated and any advice on other stuff I should do once the converter is out. Thanks

treeslayer2003

iv done it, its not hard. removal is straight forward, maybe mark the lines. almost plan on a new drive gear, last one i did was 400 bucks......use new bolts and lock tite.
there is not much in there other than seals for soft parts.......why do you think it needs rebuilt? if its just a couple seals, thats all i would buy. the kit is pricey......mine didn't need rebuilt.......my problem was simply engine tune.

what do you need? i have some out if you need pics.

rockwall

It is leaking quite a bit from the drain plug hole , sometimes almost a stream. I am assuming the seals are worn. When you say drive gear is that the fiber gear? Pics would be good. 

treeslayer2003

yes, the fiber gear. i have the parts manual around here some where.......i'll try and locate that for ya tomorrow.

hacknchop

I have a 662 are they not almost same? My winch started giving me trouble just in the last few months.
Often wrong never indoubt

kiko

Is the torque convertor housing seep rat from trans or are they connected on your 664?

treeslayer2003

Quote from: kiko on March 27, 2015, 09:43:56 PM
Is the torque convertor housing seep rat from trans or are they connected on your 664?
i believe his is like mine, mine is divorced.

i'm not sure on a 662, never seen one. pics?

hacknchop

I would need to shine her up first! I worked with 664 quite a bit the 662 is older looks the same has 353 but enough about mine im interested in Rockwall's machine and info on the converter which may just be the same as mine.
Often wrong never indoubt

rockwall

Torque converter connected to tranny 

treeslayer2003

Quote from: rockwall on March 28, 2015, 07:36:53 AM
Torque converter connected to tranny 

nope, that shaft connects your converter to the trans

rockwall

That's what I meant and I had that in my first post but then I had a hard time posting the photo so I left out "connected to tranny with shaft". I finally figured out the posting issue. So the converter is divorced from tranny.

treeslayer2003

well, i can't seem to scan or down load a photo for you Rockwall...............i'll get the Mrs. to help out when she gets home.

rockwall

Thanks, I had quite a time this morning trying to post photo.

oldseabee

What is S/N of your 664, most had C272 convertor, but some few had C273. Difference is the diameter of the Impeller ahd Turbine, 12 inch VS. 13 inch. 662 had C272 convertor. Also with Clark winch clutch pressure is 240/280 PSI, with Gearmatic winch pressure is 180/220 PSI. Pressure is controlled by clutch pressure regulator valve mounted on the convertor.

rockwall

My serial number is 514F3179. Any tips to taking the converter out?

nhlogga

Quote from: rockwall on March 28, 2015, 03:24:09 PM
My serial number is 514F3179. Any tips to taking the converter out?

Pull engine. Convertor comes out with it. That's how I would get the converter out. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

rockwall

A mechanic over here said he takes the canopy and dash off and pulls converter that way. Another Clark ranger owner says he pulls the motor and gets at converter that way. What do you think?

treeslayer2003

i always pull the canopy and dash.........i think its easier. sorry rockwall, i still can't do nuthin with pics........i think i may have broked sumthin.

rockwall

Thanks treeslayer it's probably " dust in the lines"!

oldseabee

Your machine should have the C272 convertor. Firewall and canopy probably easier to get it out, but with engine on the floor mounting the convertor will be easier. your choice. With engine out it's a chance to check the frame and cradle pins and do any repairs needed.

treeslayer2003

seabee, can the pressure governor be adjusted or must the whole unit be replaced with the higher pressure one?

NS logging

i think pulling engine is quicker than dash/canopy to get to torque converter.  I have 666s with cummins engines, but it only takes three hours to get an engine out of the frame (and I am not a good mechanic)

oldseabee

There is no adjustment to the pressure regulating valve, just a matter of changing the springs inside and replacing the o rings. Should be able to order correct springs from Alliedsystems.com, they also have parts manuals on line for free download. Which winch do you have. Gearmatic only requires the 180/220 PSI, The Clark winch requires the 240/280 PSI to operate the freespool system.

treeslayer2003

both of mine have the big clark. i know the 666 came with it, but it only holds 200 all the time. you got me thinkin i need to up the pressure.
also, perhaps the spring gets weak over time?

treeslayer2003

Thank You Sponsors!