iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

porting

Started by oakwood productions, May 05, 2009, 01:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakwood productions

Would someone please explain the term porting. I would guess this technique gives more power to the saw but how is this done? Thanks for replying Fred

Cut4fun

To learn all about porting and step by step help from the guys in the know doing woods ports work saws and race saw builds. Try www.racesaws.com  plenty of reading there to get you started. Then when you decide to do your own saw people will walk you through it if you need.

Al_Smith

It's not as big of deal as some so called engine builders would like the general public to believe .

Having said that though a woods ported saw and a true race saw are not one in the same . The former is relatively easy ,the later requires a greatly more enhanced study of time, energy and of course money .

oakwood productions

Thanks for the information and that great website

GASoline71

95% of the people that want a saw ported... don't need it.  Just want it to be cool... ::)

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Al_Smith

Lots of truth to that statement .  Usually just a little muffler work gives you all the extra power you could ever want .Besides that it doesn't cost a dime . 8)

joe_indi

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 06, 2009, 08:17:33 PM
Lots of truth to that statement .  Usually just a little muffler work gives you all the extra power you could ever want .Besides that it doesn't cost a dime . 8)

What Al  says is absolutely true, just a slight re work of the muffler will have the saw breathing better.This leads to all the extra power you need for day to day work.

Joe

stonebroke

Quote from: GASoline71 on May 06, 2009, 12:01:04 AM
95% of the people that want a saw ported... don't need it.  Just want it to be cool... ::)

Gary

I don't know, the older I get the more I appreciate a lighter saw with more power

Al_Smith

Well then you are in with the other 5 percent .I'm kind of in that club too . ;D

We tweek them because we can . 8)

John Mc

Switching from a catalytic to a non-cat muffler was good enough for me... at least for now.

Maybe one of these days I'll read up on modding mufflers and try that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

I'm thinking it's more like 98%      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

StihlTheOne

Have to agree with most here...probably 95% to 98% which includes all the people who read this forum. If your really thinking about porting and your new at it, keep reading; there's a little more to it than just opening up the muffler :P

cheyenne

I just picked up a used 372xpg that is ported & modified and can't believe the difference. This puppy screams.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

ENTS

Quote from: Cut4fun on May 05, 2009, 03:55:36 PM
To learn all about porting and step by step help from the guys in the know doing woods ports work saws and race saw builds. Try www.racesaws.com  .......

Is racesaws.com on auto pilot????  I've tried to register twice now and never hear back from the site after the initial e-mail.  I'd just browse the site but when ever I try to open a thread to read it the site takes me to the log in page.  Is anybody a member there and if so, can you ring the admins. chimes for me?

Later,
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Rocky_J

I tried registering there 3-4 months ago and had a similar lack of action in getting my registration activated. After attempting to contact the head guy, my username was deleted. I just assumed he didn't want me on his forum so I deleted the bookmark and went on about my business.

Al_Smith

It's not on auto pilot but you have to be logged on  to read the posts .

Actually since I 've had my puter worked on I've had a hard time getting on this site for reasons unknown to myself . To top it off I've been a perfect gentleman to boot . :D

Cut4fun

I copied and pasted the last 3 post and sent to their mods to let them know.

I think everyone is away from puters this time of year with race season begun.

sablatnic

I'm having the same problems with "racesaws". I'm using the firefox browser. Could that be the culprit?

Cut4fun

Web browser is my problem with Chainsaw Collectors Site. Always logging me out in the middle of something and then wont let me post. I just deal with it.
Tried 2 different browsers there and one works good for reading and posting, but shows red X's for pics.

beenthere

Red X's for pics is possibly that the pics are no longer available in the link.

One of the reasons Jeff gives for only allowing pics on the Forum that are in the Forum gallery.

When counting on a pic to be there to support the post or thread, it is nice to not get that dreaded red X.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Well now the picture thing just depends on the web site .Some loose the pictures,some do not .

ENTS

Quote from: Cut4fun on May 29, 2009, 02:25:18 PM
I copied and pasted the last 3 post and sent to their mods to let them know.

I think everyone is away from puters this time of year with race season begun.

C4F,  Thanks,  figured you were on that forum.

Later,
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Cut4fun

Quote from: beenthere on May 29, 2009, 06:36:41 PM
Red X's for pics is possibly that the pics are no longer available in the link.

One of the reasons Jeff gives for only allowing pics on the Forum that are in the Forum gallery.

When counting on a pic to be there to support the post or thread, it is nice to not get that dreaded red X.  :) :)

It's not that, on one browers the pics are there, the other browser I use the pics are red X's, but I dont keep getting logged out on that one.

Thank You Sponsors!