iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thinking about porting my 385

Started by woodtick#2, July 09, 2012, 07:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtick#2

I am thinking that I want?to port my 385XP, not sure how to do it though?
-Nathan

tlandrum

are you wanting a typical woods port or something a little hotter? theres a lots of porting how to's out there if you know where to look. or theres guys like me that get paid to port saws lol
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Al_Smith

--or guys like me who soup them up just because I like to  8)

Al_Smith

You know all this "porting " business can just be a bunch of talk or somebody is serious about it .

You go to some sites and it's nothing more than bragging rights about a saw some wizard tweeked with that makes three cuts on an 8 by 8 a half a second faster than the next guy .Now just what does that prove in the woods cutting wood with the bark still on it ? --nothing --.

Oh they choose up sides like so many junior high schoolers in an intermural game of softball .Half of them has no idea what they are talking about only how great their "builder " is . Hogwash !

If you are serious about it buy a 50 dollar special that runs and have at it .Don't be carving up a good running saw right to begin with . 2 cents worth on that subject .

Full Chisel

Send it to Landrum. He's your Husky man. Landrum is making them to do in the woods. He's a logger As far as I'm concerned, there's him and one guy in Wisconsin is the only guys in the world I'd want touching my saws. Even at that, I want to know what is being done and learn more each time. Get all the details /pics you can from the build. You'll be prepared for next time. I think that would be worth $250-350 on your xp.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

1270d

For most folks I've ever met they'd be better off saving the porting money and learing how to sharpen a chain.  Probably gain more cutting speed and lower fatigue than a port job(and save 250 to 300 dollars)

Al_Smith

There's a lot to be said for that .It does a person no good at all to have someone enhance a saw or do it yourself to  then  run a half-fast chain on it .

You can gain as much with a file as some wizard can with a die grinder . ;)

--But you aren't going to kill one with a little "port " job unless you make a three cut wonder out of it .Chances are if it's done correctly it might outlast a stock saw .

Full Chisel

When a guy can tune his saw and has enough sense to run clean sharp chain, he can out cut any body who only does one or the other. Muddy Waters invented electricity. Use that to grind that chain. While others are googling on the compter, you can be throwin' chips with the big dogs.

woodtick#2

First off I work in the woods cutting I run my saws full time, second off I never said I run a dull chain, I know how to sharpen a chain, I suppose I shouldnt ask anymore questions on here because some people are just waiting to jump down your throat because you dont know how to "sharpen" your chain hahahahhaa
-Nathan

Full Chisel

You put up a post showing interest in having a Husqvarna ported, and by the first reply in less than two hours you had the man online. TLandrum can work on my saws anytime. The power of the web and this forum is excellent.

lumberjack48

Quote from: Full Chisel on July 10, 2012, 10:52:56 PM
When a guy can tune his saw and has enough sense to run clean sharp chain, he can out cut any body who only does one or the other. Muddy Waters invented electricity. Use that to grind that chain. While others are googling on the compter, you can be throwin' chips with the big dogs.
You don't need a grinder to get a chain sharp. I've ran saw 30 yrs, i was hand filing at 12 yrs old, never used a grinder, never needed one, seen a lot of chains ruined with a grinder. If you want to grind thats fine with me.
woodtick#2 is stepping out of the box to try for more power. I've did a little bit of this yrs ago, sometimes you gain sometimes you don't. It can be fun and a good learning process, a guy doesn't learn unless you try.

I would gut the muffler, advance the timing, run 8 tooth sprocket, shorter bar, chisel chain, lean it out till the cows come home, she'll cut.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

woodtick#2

Im running an 8 tooth, full chisel and a 20 inch bar right now.  Was just curious about the muffler end of things, I never use a grinder to sharpen my chain, everything is done with a file and a vise. 
-Nathan

JohnG28

Is there anything much in the muffler of your saw? I don't have one nor have had one apart, but thought I recall having heard someone say its an empty can more or less. You could drill out a second, larger hole for a dual port muffler and then retune after that. Doing this woke my Stihl 361 up a decent amount. I definitely like it more after doing this. I didn't go too crazy, added 2 5/16" holes I believe, as well as a screen and deflector. Don't know if the carb has limiters or not but probably have to remove them to tune it after. Be worth a try before going any further. Good luck with it.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

JohnG28

Another thought also, like Al said, a properly done woods port can probably outlast a standard saw. I've had a chance to check out a done up Stihl 046 from a member here and that saw screamed for sure. Not sure how many hours of use but sure it had seen some work. Something to think about later on perhaps.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Mark K

John you talking about my 046? That saw went thru Washington hotsaws. Was an excellent saw. It would eat my 385's for breakfast. I lost that and my 441 in a skidder fire in Febuary. Woodtick-im thinking of doing the same thing to my newest 385. It wont touch my old 385. There is a guy in Pa. my dealer recommends but I never got the details.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

JohnG28

Hey Mark, that is the saw I was referring to. Sorry to hear you lost those saws along with the TJ. That saw really ripped. I couldn't remember who had done it for you. I've been meaning to get ahold of you too, busy as usual until the last week. If you'll be around I'll give ya a call.

Al_Smith

That guy might be Dan Henry .I talk with him several times a year .

Keep in mind there is a lot of people who can do a good job reworking a saw .Like wise quite a few that brag about it so beware on this . Generally speaking the best have no reason to brag and boast because their work speaks for them . ;)

Mark K

Id like to have my 385 done but I dont want a botched up job. I had the 046 done a while back. That saw had alot of hours on it. Used it strictly as a falling saw. All that was saveable from the saw was the muffler. Rest was a big glob of aluminum. Look me up some time John. Moving into the Brookfield state lands after I get back from vacation next week.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

barbender

Woodtick, I don't think anyone was jumping down your throat. Just stating an observation of a lot of people who have to have the biggest and best.
Too many irons in the fire

JRHAWK9

Quote from: Full Chisel on July 10, 2012, 08:17:38 PMHe's a logger As far as I'm concerned, there's him and one guy in Wisconsin is the only guys in the world I'd want touching my saws.

That one guy in WI you are referring to is probably Scott (tree monkey on AS).  He ported both my 346XP and my 390XPW.   ;D

Al_Smith

It could be .I've kind of lost contact with a few ,new user names etc. plus I very seldom visit that site .

If it's the same person he used to head up a saw thing at one of the local county fairs in that area .At one time he had a kart engine McCulloch hot saw .

Barbarro,Barbertown ,something like that Wis .

Thank You Sponsors!