iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rim Sprockets

Started by BlackHills270, January 16, 2014, 03:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackHills270

Hi guys, first post here but have been lurking around for a few months.
I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find answers to. I recently bought a used Husky 395xp. Right now, it has a 24" bar with a .058 chain. I plan on putting a 36" bar on with a .063 chain. I have had stihls before with the spur style sprocket. On this husky, its a rim sprocket. Do I need a new rim for the .063 chain or will the same one work? Do the rims work for all gauge chains? Also, what is the best way to get the clutch off so I can replace the rim? Thanks for any help.
Stihl MS270
Husqvarna 395xp
Stihl 028 Super
Amateur woodworker and logger.

Philbert

Welcome to FF!

In general, both spur and rim sprockets will fit any chain gauge, as long as it is the correct pitch.

To remove the sprocket on saws with an outboard clutch/inboard sprocket, you need 2 things*:

- some type of piston stop;

- a tool that fits your clutch (sometimes it is a special item, sometimes a standard wrench or socket). Note that it removes CLOCKWISE (same direction it turns when the motor is running).

*Some guys will just use an impact wrench to remove the clutch.

I don't have that model saw, so I cannot provide specifics.  I am sure someone else will chime in shortly with more info.

Philbert

thecfarm

BlackHills270,welcome to the forum. Looks like you did some sawing in your avatar? What kind and what did you make?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BlackHills270

Thanks Philbert. My screntch fits the nut on the clutch so I could probably use a socket the same size. What do you use for a piston stop so that the piston doesn't get damaged? Also, how much torque do I need to apply when I put it back on?

Cfarm - Its red oak from my dad's place. Its still fairly green so I haven't made anything yet. Also, I don't have a mill yet so the boards are pretty non-uniform. I think I have enough usable stuff to make an end-table. not sure yet.
Stihl MS270
Husqvarna 395xp
Stihl 028 Super

HolmenTree

Quote from: BlackHills270 on January 16, 2014, 03:41:29 PM
Hi guys, first post here but have been lurking around for a few months.
I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find answers to. I recently bought a used Husky 395xp. Right now, it has a 24" bar with a .058 chain. I plan on putting a 36" bar on with a .063 chain. I have had stihls before with the spur style sprocket. On this husky, its a rim sprocket. Do I need a new rim for the .063 chain or will the same one work? Do the rims work for all gauge chains? Also, what is the best way to get the clutch off so I can replace the rim? Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the site BlackHills270,
I was up in the Black Hills last summer with my family and our camper trailer for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it was Custer or Rapid City where we saw these chainsaw carvers set up shop right along the freeway carving up all this beetle killed Ponderosa pine.
Beautiful country we're coming back.
On your 395XP the clutch is left hand thread so when you loosen it off with a 19mm or 3/4" socket turn right, left to tighten it back up. For a piston stop a piece of starter rope on top of the piston thru the sparkplug hole works fine, don't get the rope stuck between the piston and cylinder ports. Have the piston almost TDC when stuffing the rope in.

To retighten the clutch with the rope as a stop make sure to have about 6 inchs of the rewind starter rope pulled out with a pair of vise grips lightly clamped holding the starter rope from going back in. If you don't do this you can break your starter system when you tighten up the clutch.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Philbert

There are metal piston stops that screw into the spark plug hole. Slowly rotate the piston into place.  Some guys say that these can damage your piston.

There are plastic spoons that fit through the spark plug hole.  Insert and slowly rotate your piston towards top dead center.

Or, you can use a short piece of nylon or polyester rope.  Rotate the piston up until it just clears the exhaust port*.  Insert as much rope through the spark plug hole as will fit, then slowly rotate the piston up until it stops. (*You don't want to create a scissor point that will shear off some of the rope and drop it into the crankcase or muffler).

Just spin the clutch back on snug - it will tighten up when it starts running.

Philbert

HolmenTree

BlackHills270, as I said earlier about seeing those carvers around your area, their named Dahl...... here's a pic of them between you and Mt Rushmore.

Cut4fun

I had a 394 come in running 36" 3/8 and I could tell something was right when hand pulling chain over bar.   ;D :D  Guy was running a .404 rim sprocket on it. :-X

HolmenTree

I forgot to answer the OPs question on how much torque to tighten the 395's clutch. Well to be honest I have never used a torque wrench on saw repair, always had a knack at sensing torque on a fastener.
  Sometimes I just  spin the clutch on finger tight then start up the saw to WOT and hit the chain hrake lever , this will tighten up the clutch just fine.I've owned a 395XP for 7 yrs now and never had  a problem.

mad murdock

Welcome aboard Blackhills270.  What kind of mill you got planned for in your future?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

BlackHills270

Thanks for all the help guys. HolmenTree, I haven't actually stopped in at that place but I know exactly where that is. Its in Keystone right before you get to Mount Rushmore. Driven past it plenty of times. Kind of makes me want to get a carving bar for the ms270 and take a stab at carving.

Mad Murdock, I was thinking the Granberg Alaskan mill. Not too expensive and I've heard good things about it. 30" rails?
Stihl MS270
Husqvarna 395xp
Stihl 028 Super

mad murdock

Just food for thought on the mill, the 395 is a good miller, why not get 36" rails, with the space the mill takes on the rails a 36" will have an effective max capacity of around 32-33". 30" rails will be 25-26" or so. Even if you have a 32" bar you can still mount the mill with 36" rails just fine, it will give you "room to grow".
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

BlackHills270

Fair enough. I misread the thing on Bailey's. I thought it said you need a 42" in bar for the 36" rails but thats just for the max capacity cut of the mill. Its been a long day.
Stihl MS270
Husqvarna 395xp
Stihl 028 Super

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mmartone

Just a thought, the Panthermill I bought is adjustable from 54" down to as short as you want to go. Might plan for a bigger bar and adjust it to what you have  now.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

BlackHills270

Quote from: mmartone on January 17, 2014, 08:37:55 AM
Just a thought, the Panthermill I bought is adjustable from 54" down to as short as you want to go. Might plan for a bigger bar and adjust it to what you have  now.

That looks pretty reasonably priced too. I saw your thread about it. Your tip guard looks awesome. Have you done much cutting with it yet? How's the weight?
Stihl MS270
Husqvarna 395xp
Stihl 028 Super

Thank You Sponsors!