iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planing lumber,green or dry?

Started by thecfarm, May 01, 2012, 09:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I'm building us a building to sell veggies,home cooked items and jams and jellies and pot holders,aprons for the wife to sell in. I'm just about to put the sub floor down with one inch hemlock that has only been dying,stickered for a month. I know it will be a gap between the boards when it dry. I only have a Rigid 13 inch planer. The building is 12X24. I would like to run the hemlock through the planer for 1 inch thickness and most of the boards are 4 inches wide and I want to plane the 4 inch part too. But I kinda would like to do the main floor in white maple. Would it be better to plane the whitemaple green or sticker and let it dry through Nov,than things will freeze up. Or plane it green? The hard wood will have the end painted and be stickered and have some tin roofing over the top in the shade. I want it to have a country look,not a ball room floor look.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

i wouldn't plane any wood green, the grain want to tear and pull not to mention you wont have any size consistinacy.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Planman1954

If it were me, I'd certainly let the wood dry as long as possible before planing. Let it do all its twisting and moving BEFORE you plane it. This gives you the advantage of choosing the right face to plane for the best flat surface. If you plane it first, then stack it, I'll gaurantee you that a lot of boards will be warped in one way or another. Just my 2 cents! Have fun. (And good luck on the shop.)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

mikeb1079

i had heard that it's not a good idea to plane wet lumber but i had to try it.   :)  bad idea.  for one it clogs your dust collector with wet stringy chips that will mold immediately if not removed.  for two many woods will stain your machines and vice versa (oak for example).  for three it's a pain in the butt.   ;D  dry as long as possible even a few months will make a big difference.
good luck!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

laffs

Wood doesnt feed good at all when its wet and the shavings will get between the gibs and the knives, when that happens it looks like you beat it smooth witha hammer.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

thecfarm

Looks like the hemlock will go down not planed. I will saw up some maple to use next year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!