iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do large tree limbs off Pin Oak do for lumbe?

Started by flatrock58, September 29, 2014, 04:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

I have a neighbor that is cutting down a massive pin Oak  Some of the limbs are over 34" in diameter.  I was wondering how well those big limbs would be for lumber.  Will they warp due to stresses on not growing vertical even though the limb itself is straight?
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Nomad

Quote from: flatrock58 on September 29, 2014, 04:51:08 PM
Will they warp due to stresses on not growing vertical even though the limb itself is straight?

In a word; yes. :'(
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: nomad on September 29, 2014, 05:13:12 PM
Quote from: flatrock58 on September 29, 2014, 04:51:08 PM
Will they warp due to stresses on not growing vertical even though the limb itself is straight?

In a word; yes. :'(

x2

The only way I have ever got any usable WOOD out of limbs is to saw 6 foot limbs into lumber. Once it is into boards.....immediately saw the six foot boards into halves......making 3 foot boards. They usually stay pretty straight if stacked and stickered with weight on top and can be sold as "Project Boards". Customers with small workshops who like to "pittle" around on the weekends will buy this short wood.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

General clue is if the pith of the "log" is off centre, then there will be stress in the log of some form.

A branch that's growing vertical may be relatively normal, and saw OK. But if the branch is egg shaped with the pith well away from the  centre then that's a reaction to growing under stress, and the wood is going to do weird things.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

It would make excellent lumber for making a batch of these. :) You might sell it to @pigman

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

pigman

The design of that table is patented. If anyone copies that design they will be sued for stupidity.    ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

flatrock58

Thanks for the information.  Since I am new to sawing I wasn't sure but thought there might be a problem.  Just hard to watch large oak limbs going to the landfill.

Steve
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Fether Hardwoods

Would I be sued for all my stupidity IE when you win the suit you get all my stupidity, or because of it? just so I know.

pigman

I have all the stupidity that I can hold. So if I win the suit, the stupidity will be donated to the Forestry Forum to be giving away at the next pig roast.

WDH

If it will be a door prize, I will surely win it  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 29, 2014, 09:15:25 PM
If it will be a door prize, I will surely win it  :).

They'd never let you take THAT on a plane.  ;D

hogdogman

Quote from: pigman on September 29, 2014, 08:35:43 PM
The design of that table is patented. If anyone copies that design they will be sued for stupidity.    ;) ;D
O K, that's where I got confused, I didn't see anything even remotely associated with a design. :-)

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

Quote from: hogdogman on September 29, 2014, 10:01:26 PM
O K, that's where I got confused, I didn't see anything even remotely associated with a design. :-)

You didn't notice the drywall screws?   ???

I believe they were part of the design element Pigman was reaching for.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

pigman

I would have y'all know I am a builder of quality furniture. I would never use drywall screws in a table; those are deck screws.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Solomon

Pin Oak in my opinion is chocking dunnage at best,   Cut it up for fire wood.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!