iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel leaking out of 385XP when on its side

Started by jteneyck, October 25, 2014, 09:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

I use a Husky 385XP on my log mill.  It does a good job, but leaks fuel unless I'm cutting until the fuel level is low in the tank.  The saw lays horizontal in the mill with the fuel and oil caps facing up.  The saw runs beautifully, but the leaking fuel is annoying.  I don't remember it doing this when it was new, but can't say for sure.  I'd rather not go tearing things apart if this an inherent characteristic of the saw, but if it's something that can be fixed I'm interested in doing so.  I haven't looked enough to know if the leak is coming from the tank vent or the carb.  If it's the tank vent, that might motivate me to  hook up an exterior fuel tank which I've been thinking about anyway. 

Anyone have any insights on the root of the issue?  Thanks in advance.

John 

celliott

Sounds like the tank vent to me. Sometimes the little white "pill" can vibrate loose. Not terribly hard to replace. Gotta take the fuel tank off. Then use a drywall screw to pull the old one out, or push it out from inside if you can. Press the new one back in. Presto, no leaky 385xp!
I don't think it's an inherent problem with that model, just something that happens. Chainsaws vibrate, plastic can deform, vents fall out.

I doubt it's leaking from the carb, if you say it still runs great. Fuel line could also be suspect to have a hole in it, but, if it runs great, then unlikely.
My money's on the vent.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Swatson

That ethanol that they put in gas now eats those plastic like hoses like crazy.  I try to only run 100% gas in mine but if I cant I make sure to empty the tank as soon as I finish.  Its one reason why those 100 dollar weed whackers from the home stores will only last a season or two before you have to tear it apart and replace the lines and primer bulb or toss it and pick up a new one.  Since Ive been using 100% gas I haven't had to replace any lines.  Did have to replace a primer bulb in my saw but it was really really cold when it busted.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

sablatnic

@Swatson
That clock in your avatar, is it yours, and is it homebuilt?

Nicking the tread, sorry.

And Celliott is probably right about the tank vent.

ZeroJunk

Might just be leaking where the fuel line goes in the tank.

Swatson

Quote from: sablatnic on October 26, 2014, 11:10:37 AM
@Swatson
That clock in your avatar, is it yours, and is it homebuilt?

Nicking the tread, sorry.

And Celliott is probably right about the tank vent.

Yes sir.  I built it last year as a Christmas present for my sister.  Uses a timer motor out of a washing machine switch.  Been running like a charm.  All the wood I used I cut to boot. ;D
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

sablatnic

Andyshine77

The 385/390xp has poorly designed tank vent, plastic in plastic press fit, and a new vent will not fix the problem. The tank vent on these saws is a green fixture with a black hose attached, it also has a long white plastic tube that goes into the tank. This assembly simply presses into the right side of the tank/handle. I've removed them and cleaned the fixture and tank with break parts cleaner, reinstalled the vent and put a small amount of HondaBond around the outer edge of the vent. This has held for two years now, and you can still easily remove the vent if ever needed. I run non ethanol fuel, so that's not the issue, and it's a pretty well know problem with this model of saw. Not really a big deal, but an annoyance for sure.       
Andre.

jteneyck

Thanks for the replies.  I did some milling again yesterday and before I did I had a look at the vent.  It does not appear to be in the right side of the tank like my other Husky.  A separate hose comes out of the tank and a porous metal piece is pressed into the end of it.  The vent hose is attached to the outside of the carb and faces towards the left of the saw, meaning facing the sky when the saw is laid flat for milling.  I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.  If what I saw is something else, and the vent really is in the right side of the tank, how do I get at it?   

I filled the tank and laid the saw on its side - no gas came out of what I think is the vent, so the leak is somewhere else.  I really doubt there's a crack in the tank, since I'm the only owner and have never abused it.  I empty the saw and run it dry in between milling sessions, and the saw runs great, so I don't think it's anything wrong with the fuel line itself.  I'm guessing the leak is where the vent hose or fuel line exit the tank.  It's not completely obvious how much you have to tear down the saw to get to those.  Does anyone have any experience with the 385XP and/or does anyone have an IPL for it? 

Thanks much,

John 

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

celliott

To access the tank vent\fuel line, you have to remove the fuel tank. To remove the tank, unscrew all the AV mounts,, then there is 2 (I think) limiter screws, one under the recoil, one under the clutch cover. Unhook the throttle linkage, and fuel line from the carb. It takes a bit of a twist to get the tank all the way off.

Sending you a PM with IPL.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

jteneyck

Thanks for the additional info. folks.  I got the IPL at partstree.com and the vent does indeed look like the pressed in plastic type but with a hose attached as well.  That must be what I saw at the other end where it's attached to the outside of the carb.  In any case, it looks like I'll be tearing the thing apart in order to find the source of the problem.  I'll let you know what I find.

John 

Andyshine77

Yes the vent has a hose attached to it. As others said it takes a little work to access the vent.

Make sure all the lines are nic nice and soft and that they seal well.
Andre.

jteneyck

Well, I took it apart and as you guys expected it was indeed the tank vent that was the source of the leak.  It came out so easily that it's surprising it didn't just vibrate out over the years.  Hard to believe Husky doesn't have a better system than that.  Or why they put the tank vent on the right side where it will be facing down when the saw is laid on its side cutting a stump.  Anyway, I put some sealant on it where it seats into the tank and we'll see how that does after it has cured.

Thanks for your help.

John   

Andyshine77

Quote from: jteneyck on October 31, 2014, 05:35:34 PM
Well, I took it apart and as you guys expected it was indeed the tank vent that was the source of the leak.  It came out so easily that it's surprising it didn't just vibrate out over the years.  Hard to believe Husky doesn't have a better system than that.  Or why they put the tank vent on the right side where it will be facing down when the saw is laid on its side cutting a stump.  Anyway, I put some sealant on it where it seats into the tank and we'll see how that does after it has cured.

Thanks for your help.

John

Did you use clean the area with a good solvent and use a fuel resistant sealant? If not I can't see the fix lasting long.

I agree the vent setup is pathetic, but so were the grub screws other manufactures used for decades.
Andre.

jteneyck

Quote from: Andyshine77 on November 02, 2014, 01:18:44 AM
Quote from: jteneyck on October 31, 2014, 05:35:34 PM

Thanks for your help.

John

Did you use clean the area with a good solvent and use a fuel resistant sealant? If not I can't see the fix lasting long.

I agree the vent setup is pathetic, but so were the grub screws other manufactures used for decades.

Yes, and yes.  We'll see how long it lasts, but so far so good.  I ordered a new tank vent when I ordered some other stuff from PartsTree.com.  Came today - it's white, the old one was green.  Don't know if that means anything or not though.  Anyway, if the repair doesn't last, I'll install the new one - with sealer for insurance. 

John 

Thank You Sponsors!