iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rockwell Axle Nut

Started by SliverPicker, March 23, 2014, 12:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

I've got the Tree Farmer axles mostly apart to replace the leaking seals.  I am stuck needing a 4-3/8" socket to remove the main axle nut.  Proto sells one that weighs 33 pounds and change and costs almost $1700.  That option is out.  Short of fabricating my own, which is not my strongest skill, what are my choices? 

Does anyone know the torque spec. to reinstall these nuts?

Thanks fellas!
Yooper by trade.

Ljohnsaw

Try a rental shop - they probably have what you need and it might cost you $10 for a day.  You know, those places that rent trailers and equipment.  They usually have a lot of specialty tools to rent.  Also, NAPA (and such auto parts stores) have tools to rent.  Any truck stops around you?  Bring a six twelve pack and they might loan you what you need.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SliverPicker

I have seen those stamped versions, but I'm a bit skeptical that they can handle the torque needed to refasten those nuts.  Does anyone know for sure?

We are pretty thin on tool rental places around here and there are no truck stops.  I live pretty much in the sticks.  I will try Napa tomorrow, but I don't think they rent/loan any tools.
Yooper by trade.

stihltoomany

I used to work on heavy trucks and those stamped sockets were used all the time to do axle nuts. Assuming that that your tree farmer axle is similiar to a semi truck axle. Our sockets came from the same place that sold heavy truck parts, brakes, rims, springs and such. Those sockets are tougher than you might think and not too terrible high priced.  Good Luck
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

bushmechanic

SilverPicker, stihltoomany is right on with assessment of those sockets-very tough. They are made by OTC and can be purchased at Napa, but that size is not common in the truck world so you will most likely have to order it. Another route you can take is like I do when there is nothing available is to make it up from scrap metal. I made one for the Eaton planetaries, 1/4 plate made the sides and end then a nut welded on the end to use the 3/4 drive. I used the wheel nut for a guide when I got it apart to make the hex. Not sure on the torque but I have it somewhere around here, and is it the small 8 stud ends or 12 stud planetaries? 

Ken

I had a local welding shop make me one.  Used a piece of steel pipe and welded pieces of flat steel inside the pipe to match the diameter I needed.  He then welded a piece of plate across one end and put a nut on that end to allow use of a power bar.  Not as fancy as some but does the trick.  With respect to the torque I am unsure of the proper # but we usually tighten until the tire will not turn easy.  A few hard smacks with a sledge  on the tire rim will usually allow a couple more turns of the nut.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

justallan1

Another vote on the durability of the sockets similar to the ones shown above. My only gripe on the few that I have is that they are 1/2" drive and I feel better with my 3/4" ratchet and breaker bar on stuff like this. I actually broke a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter taking something off, but the socket was fine.

Allan

treeslayer2003

nuthin wrong with those sockets, I have used them on skidders plenty.
tighten it up pretty good till it is hard to turn then back off just slightly. I always pack the bearing, prolly not nessasary. it is important to get it snugged up good at first, you don't want any weight on the planetary, you want it on the bearing.
if you don't have the wheel on, tighten it till you can't turn the hub then back off slightly.

SliverPicker

Excellent.  Thanks.  I will give the stamped socket a whirl. 

These are the 12 bolt hubs.
Yooper by trade.

coxy

hammer and punch that what I use  :D :D :D :D

jwilly3879

SliverPicker - I just sent you a PM -  I can email the pages I have for the Rockwell axle

OntarioAl

I have seen a lot of cold chisel "bite" marks on various axle nuts.
Al
Al Raman

jwilly3879

I've seen some loose hubs also. Loose to the point that they wore through the stub axle.

36 coupe

Quote from: SliverPicker on March 23, 2014, 12:05:17 AM
I've got the Tree Farmer axles mostly apart to replace the leaking seals.  I am stuck needing a 4-3/8" socket to remove the main axle nut.  Proto sells one that weighs 33 pounds and change and costs almost $1700.  That option is out.  Short of fabricating my own, which is not my strongest skill, what are my choices? 

Does anyone know the torque spec. to reinstall these nuts?

Thanks fellas!There are plasma cutters that are computer controlled.Feed in a drawing and the part gets cut out.Look up Keith Fenner on youtube.You can see the machine work.

SliverPicker

I spent a few hours trying to make a socket.  It didn't go that well.  I hid the evidence.  It was like a wild monkey and football.   :D :D

I ordered a socket from CarQuest.  It was supposed to show up with UPS yesterday, but didn't arrive.  Today is the day.
Yooper by trade.

Lonely Sawer

Army surplus wharehouse $24.95
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

Ed_K

You keep that squirrel home, :o we don't need them cutting down the bird feeders  ;D.
Ed K

Lonely Sawer

Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

Ed_K

Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!