iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Security Camera System

Started by Qweaver, November 07, 2018, 09:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Drug user crime has become a real problem in our area.  I want to put a security camera system on our property but I know nothing about these systems. My house, saws and work sheds are spread out over 4 acres. We live on a dead end gravel road and I plan to put a large sign at the entrance to our property to indicate that all entering are being filmed.  I'll need a battery powered system that will keep working if the power is cut off.  Any suggestions as to what system to use??    Also an alarm should sound if entry is made into a building when the system is on.  I hate to try and set up a system with my limited knowledge.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

goose63

Qweaver we bought one at bestbuy

it has 4 camreas but you need power for it has inferred will pick up small bugs at night can be hooked to you computer and you can check from your smart phone

And then there is Mandy at 135 lbs most people are smart enough to leave us alone
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

There are many options and Google is your friend.  Even "wireless" cameras still need power to operate so your "battery powered system" requirement could become a challenge:  Example
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KirkD

Been looking for a system myself that works in a remote area and found out there are trail cameras that relay from camera to camera back to a main unit that is within range.

This company looks interesting to me.

https://www.cuddeback.com/

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

btulloh

Cuddeback cameras have worked a lot better for me than anything else.  Most of the others were a bit cheaper though, so I guess you get what you pay for.  I do like the Cuddebacks.

You probably found this out already, but the cameras can also have cellular service built in and get the images back to you that way.  I thought the service would be expensive, but it's not.  It's much cheaper than cell phone service even if it's with a different provider than you currently use.

Like MM said, google is your friend.  Off-grid, and battery powered solutions limit the choices, although I guess a small solar panel could supply power to the cameras.  It starts to get complicated fast.  A comprehensive, off-the-shelf, affordable solution certainly would be nice.  That's starting to sound like a Unicorn.  I'll be curious to see what you decide.  Good luck with the search.
HM126

Wallys World

One of the guys at my church installed a "Ring" system. I think it is available at Home Depot and Lowes. The cameras are battery with a solar panel to charge them. You can view it on your phone. He showed me it and the quality is very good. Night vision capable and wasn't too costly. 
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Wallys World on November 07, 2018, 12:28:42 PM
One of the guys at my church installed a "Ring" system. I think it is available at Home Depot and Lowes. The cameras are battery with a solar panel to charge them. You can view it on your phone. He showed me it and the quality is very good. Night vision capable and wasn't too costly.
I have 3 ring cams at my house. I like them but they need wifi to work and the range isn't all that for connection. Around a house they work great esp the doorbell.
I think for the Ops situation those cuddleback piggyback cams would be his best bet. They talk to each other and the main one provides the cell service for all.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ianab

"Can get complicated fast"  :D

That tends to be the problem as everyone's setup is slightly different. Power available, distances, sensitivity and the general environment. Having real time alerts sounds good, until a moth gets attracted to the IR floodlight that the night vision uses.  :D Probably OK inside a workshop where there is less wildlife. 

I've set up a small system for a friend, using outdoor wifi units to get the range. Weatherproof cameras mounted up on various sheds. We had mains power available, and the generic cameras have night vision floodlights built in. The cameras run all the time, and the motion detection is done on the recording computer, which makes it easier to tune the sensitivity and detection zones. You often have to "blank out" detection in some zones or the wind The software has the ability to send alerts etc, but we haven't enabled it. 
Beep-beep @2:00 am - Moth
Beep-beep @ 2:05 am - Moth. 
Beep-beep @ 2:10 am - Owl chasing the moth
etc. 
Those events get recorded on the computer as little 10sec video clips instead. 

Main reason is the deterrent value, the cameras give off a faint glow at night from their IR LEDs, so you know they are powered up, not just fakes. And they are set up to mainly cover vehicle access areas. 

If you need power backup, a computer UPS with a decent battery should be able to power a light load like that for several hours
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

Some wild thoughts are:

1. Just put up the signs, no system and let the culprits try to figure where they are.

2. If you do install cameras why warn the brigands they are being filmed and give them a chance to wear  a mask or hide their identity or possibly look for and destroy or disable the equipment? 

3. I know it is important to keep them away but in my case I am more interested in convicting/punishing the criminal than getting my property back but we came from feuding stock and that is just me.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Just spent a week with friends in DC for the Tomb Guard (former unknown soldier tomb guards) reunion. He was a guard in 1960-61 and Linda and i were guests.
They live in Great Falls MT
They got a call yesterday AM st 5:30 from the GF police that their condo had been broken into and his truck stolen.  
Truck was found rolled over in a field and totaled.
Nothing else taken.
They have good neighbors and motion detector lights but neighbors saw nothing and police found the lights had been deactivated.
They suspect some of the lawn and landscape service people may have done it.
I think they will use a similar system now as you guys describe or perhaps an alarm system.
WE live in a remote location and have had an alarm system for 10 or more yrs, but I still worry some when we are gone.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My system gets WIFI from my dads house via repeaters.
I do have power at my mill and the VCR and the camera hub is in my building.
I have a separate IP from my dads WIFI.

My system is great. Can see my mill, sheds, etc. anywhere from my phone.
Keep in mind all cable and WIFI companies where your service comes from WILL go down sometimes for maintenance or updates but your system should come right back up.

Before just buying a system understand what your doing and find out what the return policy is on a system if it doesn't meet your needs.

I got my brother to install mind because I had no idea what I was doing and IAN lives in New Zealand.  :D :D :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

btulloh

Working out the details for your particular situation is the hard part.  Maybe Poston's brother would do it. For $300.
HM126

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: btulloh on November 07, 2018, 09:05:50 PM
Working out the details for your particular situation is the hard part.  Maybe Poston's brother would do it. For $300.
Actually is was $800. :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tawilson

I've picked up a few EZVIZ systems on Amazon. A couple I've got connected through wireless routers to Verizon's Mifi modems. The monthly fee is $10 for each and each system comes with 4 wired cameras which I can access from a anywhere on my cell phone. My cell signal is not that great but it's enough for these. And it was simple to get working. You would just need to plug it all into a battery backup system. I had these Mifi for 2 years before I figured out I could use a router to connect my security system to the internet. I originally got them to convert .my landlines to cellular.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

charles mann

a dummy cam with a battery powered red led light can be a cheap deterent. Encase it in a 1/4"-1/2" case with heavy gauge expenaded steel. Put a trail cam with infa-red below the dummy cam and a few feet behind. Those looking to be dishonest will be focused on the dummy, all the while they are being recorded by the trail cam. Total investment, $400. Im sure thats a LOT cheaper than an  actual security system. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Logger RK

I had 1k worth of Eq batteries stolen & 2 of my cheap gam cam's over Labor Day week (not a nice B Day present)my 3rd cam just got a flashlight shined at it,so no good picture. But,my daughter bought me a new camera that's,I believe new to the market. It's called Big Foot. Around $200,& it sends pics to my e Mail on my phone. It came with 500-600 free pics,then I bought the 16,000 pics for a year for $69. It's been real good. But it does need cell service to send pics,otherwise there just on the SD card. If I'm outback 1/2 a mile shearing wood by my self I can see if anybody pulls in the landing. Handy to know when trucks come for loads also. I did get the steel vandal proof box for it & have it pointed at my gate & another cheap cam. I figure if The Weasels come back I have a better chance of getting there pic also. Im going to be getting a few more in the future.

florida

Video security systems are okay, I have 12 cameras around my properety, but they don't stop crime and generally won't help police find the criminals. A customer just had his brand new, $400,000 boat stolen off the boat lift. He and the neighbors on both sides recorded the thieves taking the boat, after the fact. Typically you can set an alarm on a camera to send you a text alert if something moves but after a day or two of alerts you'll turn most of them off. I have one alert on the first camera that covers my driveway and that's all I can stand. So, get some cameras but don't count on them to stop the thieves. All they need is a 2 or 3 minute head start.  
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

tawilson

I've had the videos come in handy after the fact.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Ianab

Quote from: tawilson on November 09, 2018, 07:48:00 PM
I've had the videos come in handy after the fact.
If it's a local you post them online in the local FB message boards. Someone will know. 
One popped up from a local shop the other day. They had some jackets outside the door on a rack, and some guy helped himself to a couple. Posted the clip online and in 10 mins they had the guys name, address, phone number etc. 
It helped that it's a small town, he was riding a mobility scooter, and only had one leg.  :D Narrowed the suspect list down quite a bit. Cops called round at his house and found he had several items that he had forgotten to pay for. But it was the video clip that let the cops get a search warrant for his house. Their job gets a lot easier when you can basically solve the case for them. 
One-legged man on mobility scooter caught shoplifting from Taranaki sports store | Stuff.co.nz
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Runningalucas

I had a guy tell me that if the perps get caught with your stolen stuff, they usually only get charged with 'possession of stolen property'.  Supposedly you need evidence of them at your place, or taking your stuff to get them on robbery/burglary.  I've got an arlo set up; so far, so good. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Ianab

Quote from: Runningalucas on November 09, 2018, 11:46:56 PM
I had a guy tell me that if the perps get caught with your stolen stuff, they usually only get charged with 'possession of stolen property'.  Supposedly you need evidence of them at your place, or taking your stuff to get them on robbery/burglary.  I've got an arlo set up; so far, so good.
The cops need actual evidence, "beyond reasonable doubt" etc. If they find someone in possession of something stolen the suspect can tell all sorts of stories that might possibly be true, and that makes reasonable doubt. "Mate gave it to me" "I found it on the side of the road" "Bought it off a guy at the pub". Only thing the cops can actually Prove is they were in possession of the stolen goods, not how they actually got them. If they charge them with actually stealing the things, they can't actually prove that, and the whole case gets thrown out. 
Hence a picture or video clip of them on your property at the time things went missing is the sort of evidence they need to upgrade the charges. 

Crusarius

I have many friend in law enforcement. several of them are investigators. They all say the same thing. No matter how crappy the video is, they get the most convictions with video than anything else. 

A lot of times all they have to do is tell the perpetrator they have a video and the person will confess. Whether you can tell who is in the video or not.

Of course this does not mean you will get your stuff back but it may get the perp. off the street for a while.

Tom King

What is the battery life on those cuddeback cameras?  I looked over the cameras, and specs, but missed anything about how often you need to change the batteries.
Thanks,

btulloh

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on November 08, 2018, 07:40:53 PM
Quote from: btulloh on November 07, 2018, 09:05:50 PM
Working out the details for your particular situation is the hard part.  Maybe Poston's brother would do it. For $300.
Actually is was $800. :D
Probably a bargain.  If you want a system that works, you could spend quite a bit of money still not have it do what you need.  The smiley_devil is in the details.  Nothing worse than spending 2,3,4k$ and ending up where you started.  I've been looking at some of the things out there for last few years, but nothing quite suits.  If I was serious, I'd pay somebody to spec the thing and install it.  But for now I'll depend on the dog.
HM126

DDW_OR

Quote from: Tom King on November 12, 2018, 03:48:46 PM
What is the battery life on those cuddeback cameras?  I looked over the cameras, and specs, but missed anything about how often you need to change the batteries.
Thanks,
just found this thread.
Max battery has been 60 days
get the 'Cuddeback CuddeLink Black Flash Game Camera J-1422 4 Pack Silver Series 11445'
the Long Range IR has a red LED that flashes when the battery is low
I put the camera SN for the camera name. that way i know which camera is missing
SN 1415I7008583 was stolen on 12/26/2018.
only some of the remote camera photos are sent back to the home camera.

4/11/2019 update  each camera uses 12 AA batteries

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!