iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Yard at our local Forest Prod Marketing Board

Started by SwampDonkey, January 14, 2005, 01:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, here's a view from my local Forest Products Marketing Board in Florenceville, New Brunswick.

This little pile of sugar maple veneer is destined for Miller Veneers in Indiana as soon as the marketing board gathers a straight truck load. They pay $2200 to $5500 USD in the yard. These prices are just unreal. 8)  They do all the trucking at their own expense. This little puckle of wood fetched over $1100 USD. Note the small, tiny heart. They take sizes 8'6" and up with min 12 in top. The logs are already marked and tagged on the end.

These aspen veneer logs are destined for a veneer plant in Nelson-Mirimachi, NB. They are gathering a tractor trailor load to be sent from the Marketing Board yard. Notice there is some false tinder conk showing in the butts. But, the logs must be sound or they'de be turned down. I'm wondering to myself if they will accept them all because they used to be alot more stickier with the conk rot when I remember marketing this wood product.

Here is a small pile of sugar maple sawlogs, unsorted by grade and market. There are quite a few around 9-12 " on the small end and a couple 14 ". These sawlogs with likely be sold within New Brunswick to local sawmills. There is a small load of cedar logs just delivered to the yard by a small woodlot owner who cuts very small volumes of wood and finds it dificult to get trucking of his small loads so he delivers the wood to the marketing baord with his 1 ton where it is scaled and payed for as delivered and other small producers will contribute to a full load of wood.

The wood yard at our local Forest Products Marketing Board, in Florenceville New Brunswick. The board has a skid steer in the shelter to move logs around and sort by grade and market. The loader is to the left. If you go left around the drive you see a pile of stovewood bucked from the veneer and logs to get the best price. The board will sell the stovewood locally. The first pile of sawlogs to the right of the loader (across the drive) is destined to a market in Quebec. The buyer of this wood, actually lives in Maine and travels all over buyer wood for the mill. This is the same situation for our veneer markets. Some folks even go on the woodlot and discuss the specs of their mill with the producer. The board office is in the middle of the yard. Today is payday for most producers, so pickups and other traffic begins to gather around the office. I was there today for a little check from a logger I recently did work for (green Dodge with white cap). ;)

cheers

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures, SwampDonkey.
I really like the idea of your local marketing board and wish we had something like that in Me. or NH. It would be great to be able to sell a few logs now and then and not have to cut truckloads at a time.
I would think that the existance of the marketing board would encourage small/sustainable cutting among private/small woodlot owners but from things you've said before , I gather that's not the case ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

leweee

SD .... Can just anybody buy logs from The Forest Products Marketing Board or is this a private club ???
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

Most wood volume from private woodlots come from sales from clearcut lots unfortunately. That seems to be the way most large logging contractors buy wood here. There are alot of small scale producers that do look after their land, but its small volumes of wood. For instance 10 % of the producers produce 90 % of the wood. ;) The marketing boards need to run on $$millions of dollars of wood to market or the levy would be so high, it would be like paying stumpage to the board for cutting my own wood. Mill contracts have to be filled as well, if good working relations are to be maintain with them. Also prices are negotiated annually with some mills, some mills just give or take on the prices with prior notice given. (err sometimes ;) ) The current levy (2.2%) goes to pay wages at the board and helps finance courses and bonuses awarded to folks that do good management as well as helping woodlot owners with costs of having a management plan produced. We do about 60 management plans a year, give or take. The plans are also reviewed for approval.

It certainly is the goal of the marketing board to encourage good woodlot management on woodlots. The system has been constantly evolving too, sometimes at a snails pace because it's hard to break some folks habits. It's had it's ups and downs, financially and politically. Most marketing boards have been around at least 25 years, some even 40 in the north.

you can click on the links below if your curious about what they offer.

www.cvwpa.ca
www.infor.ca  (maybe .com)  errm can't rem, just click it. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

QuoteSD .... Can just anybody buy logs from The Forest Products Marketing Board or is this a private club ???

Anyone can sell wood through the marketing board who is a producer of forest products from small woodlots (25 to 10,000 acre parcels of land).

As far as coming to the marketing board to buy wood you have to match the competition for price and spec and show your a reputable chap. You can talk to the manager and leave him your specs and prices and he'll do what he can to get you some wood. Let him know what kind of volumes your expecting and he'll give you an idea if he can provide that. Ultimately, the producer of the wood decides who gets his wood unless he leaves it to the marketing board staff to move it on his behalf at the best price and least hassle. The wood yard you see in the photos is mostly setup for hardwood veneer and sawlog markets. ;) Athough, I think they'll take a part load of pulpwood and try to make up a full load or make an effort to move it somehow. Anyway, if they are confident they can move your wood, you'll walk away with a cheque in your hand even if it has to sit in the yard a couple weeks. ;) But, the  producer has to bring the wood to the yard. See all truckers of the wood come to the marketing board as well, since they bring the scale slips from the mill and chain of custody/load slips issued by the boards. All private wood produced in New Brunswick has to have chain of custody papers.

Ok, maybe a little more info than needed. ;) :D

leweee

Thanks SD.... just thought I'd ask.... To see how it works  ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

devo

Thanks for the pictures SD. I am curious how the marketing board came to be. Was it just some guys who decided to pool thier wood together, or some sort of initiative of a woodlot organization? Wish we had something like that here.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

New C/V Marketing Board office, with scales and shop.

Two weeks worth of cedar hauled to the new C/V wood yard. The pile is over 700 meters long, piled 20 feet high. Approx. 3500 cords.

Slasher working away at bucking the various cedar products from that monster pile. ;D

Sorting, bucking and hauling hardwood logs from another corner of the new wood yard.

DanG

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 14, 2005, 01:18:52 PM
This little puckle of wood fetched over $1100 USD.

Is a "puckle" some sort of a Canadian sub-whack?  ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Murf

:D @ DanG...... sub-whack........  :D

DanG, a 'puckle' is an old English term. It originally meant 5 or 10 pounds. As in "run to the store and fetch me a puckle of potatoes.".

It was used mostly that I recall to refer to the little bit of potatoes left when you bag potatoes from a field box, the little bit that's left over, not quite a bag full, is called a puckle.

However, like most other things today, it has been stretched just a little.

Like ........ Tom is "just up the road a piece" from you.   :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

DanG

It was a pretty subtle little humorism.  It lay there for over a year before somebody noticed. ::) :D :D :D  I think it should become an official measurement, and should be included in the Whack Rules. 8) 8) 8)

Murf, I just never heard the term before, but it's a goodun.  I guess it don't mean taters if yer talkin' logs, does it? ;D :D

BTW, Tom lives a fur piece up the road. Or is it down the road?  I ain't sure. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Alot of the old woodsmen around here used 'puckle' to refer to a little patch of woods that wasn't cut or a small bit of wood that wouldn't make up a full load. Often time they'd overlook it or leave it behind. I've often heard the phrase: 'That little puckle of wood isn't worth bothering with'. ;D

Tom

DanG
That is an interesting conceptual question.  Up the Road or Down the road signifies one of two things to me.  Either the road runs North and South or there is a hill envolved.   Neither of these descriptions accurately identify the state of I-10 in the State of Florida.  It not only runs East and West, but any hill would be relative to the first and last and where you started and finished to determine Up or Down.  :-\   How perplexing this becomes.  Perhaps "over that-a-way a fer piece" could better describe direction and distance in Florida. :P :)

"Puckle" is foreign to me.  ???

DanG

Good point, Tom, but "thataway" ain't real big over thisaway.  I'm athinkin' you stay a fer piece over yonder. ;D :D :D

I like "puckle" and I'm gonna use it.  Everybody around here will think I made it up. :D :D

SwampDonkey

I don't know about the word puckle being foreign, but when we cut wood on the farm there was no leaving it behind. The leaving it behind is foreign to me. But, I've seen loggers of all kinds leave wood behind, even so called low impact loggers. I know one guy that leaves stuff all over his wood yards. If it where mine I'd take it, even if I could only use it for firewood. ;)

Tom

Puckle:   the  fastener that holds the fur on small animals .   Pelt Puckle.

Murf

Well der ya go, now ya gots sumat ta cogitate over .......

In fact I got another one fer ya too, one my Granny used all the time, and the origin of a few words still commonly used today.

"Nipperkin"

It's an old Irish (Scottish & English too) word for a measure of liquid, usually a half-pint. Thus the term 'nipper' & 'half-pint' have been used to describe a child.

It is also the origin of the word 'nip', which is actually a legal measurement in Australia & New Zealand, being 30 milliliters, or in the US it reffres to a third of a pint.

Us 'little nippers' used to get a 'nipperkin' of milk with our meal. The real little tots just got a 'nip' of milk with the meal.  ;D

DanG

:P

I been known to take a nip or two, myself. ;)

Murf

Is dat what made yer beard so milky white?  :D   :D   :D

SwampDonkey

Sprucegum

Careful now...... with a puckle o' nips you could get lost in da woods  ;)

dail_h

I just got done doing the 'rithmatic on it,and a puckel is just shy of 7/8ths of a shot when applied to logs.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Minnesota_boy

That's pretty good rithmatic, but now figure how it fits if 2 of the logs are a bit crooked. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!