iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is building materials going up or what?

Started by Banjo picker, September 02, 2009, 05:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

My youngest son Bobby is working on getting his house built..  We went to pick up some 3 tab shingles to finish the ridge with and they were $20.00 a bundle.. that would be $60.00 a sq.  That was at the local building supply.  That is the highest I have ever heard of 3 tab.   We went to Corinth yesterday to get his wire to get the wiring started, and while we were in the store picking up supplys 12/2 with G went from $45.70 for a 250' roll to about $54.00 ...I picked up a couple of extra rolls to make sure we had enough since he pealed the lower price off the shelve an stuck it to one of my rolls.. With prices jumping up that much that quick , hows  building ever gona make a come back?   With candy bars they did slowly raise the price and shrink the quanity. ;D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kansas

I went with a metal roof on my house project but looked at asphalt shingles. I was told they are high because there is only so much supply of whatever oil product they are made out of, and they are processing less oil these days, hence a shortage. Sounds fishy to me. I was suprised about the cost of the wiring I bought. I thought copper had come way down from last summer. Only thing that seems to really be lower is the wood components.

SPIKER

I can hear ya, one I been waiting for is the FOAM BOARDS insulation for underlayment of concrete as I have my pole barn to lay this summer yet.   the stuff is made from Nat Gas and we all know what has happened to that it is below 3 bucks per mbtu, (was 2.7 something other day.   Yet the prices have not moved any if not gone up since past winter!

Same with Shingles but I can see that as they are asphalt based for most of them and when you make gas, from crude the asphalt is a last stage byproduct of refining.   lower oil usage compounded with summer road fixing means less available to the shingle industry so they have to pay more to get it....

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

jander3

I was planning on ordering shingles for my cabin roof, till I priced them. I just ordered the metal for my roof.  The lumber yard man told me that steel would be up 12% in the next three weeks.

beenthere

How does the price per square compare between the asphalt shingles and wood shingles?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

StorminN

The wood materials still seem pretty low. I haven't priced asphalt shingles or foam board in a while. Copper is definitely lower than last summer, but I haven't bought any in a couple of months, I'll have to check and see if it's gone up here.

I'm curious how much are you guys paying for metal roofing in other areas. I just ordered some ag building style roofing... "Ultra Rib", 3' wide panels, big rib every 9", exposed fasteners, etc... it was $2.21 a lineal foot (or $0.74 a sq. ft.), which is not bad around here... it had been $2.60 a lineal foot at the beginning of the summer. They really get you on the trim, though... the metal for the peak and gable ends... and the screws!

In the end, it was $800 for roofing for one building that's got a 20'x20' roof on one side and a 20'x16' roof on the other. The metal should show up tomorrow...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

jander3

MN:  My metal roofing (standard green metal, screws and ridge cap) was $800.   Roof is 32' x 14' on each side (896 square feet).  I purchased from a lumber yard in Mora, MN to support local operations.   Might have gotten a little better price at the bigger stores in the cities.    However, when I asked the yard to cut some of my plywood at 6' before delivery so I didn't have to mess with plywood and a handsaw....they didn't bat an eye.  They took my order of over the phone, delivery is set up, and they woundn't take my money till they drop things off and validate I'm happy with them.  That is not how I'm treated at Mendards, thats for sure.

Thank You Sponsors!