iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 066 starting

Started by keef661, June 01, 2003, 04:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keef661

Have just purchased 11 month old stihl 066 magnum,excellent saw but have problem starting after running for a couple of hours,had saw at service agent last week &was told it was an earth fault on the start switch,this week cutting bluegum same thing happened &stuffed a great days cutting ,can anyone help
Keef
Keef

Kevin

When I encounter a starting problem the first thing I do is inspect the plug to see if it's getting gas and a spark.
If the plug is gas soaked it is probably flooding and it might be the method you are using to start the saw.
Installing a new plug will prove the plug in case the plug is defective.
Possibly a venting problem on the fuel tank.
It can't be too serious if the saw runs properly once it's started.

Tom

Wow,  We're getting upside down.  Another NZer :D

Welcome keef661.

I find it so interesting to hear the colloquialisms from the different parts of the world. Earth fault.  That's Ground, right? and bluegum means something totally different here and might get you a punch in the nose if used in the wrong company. :D :D

"Stuffed a great days cutting".  Does that mean that you had a bad day? :P :)

This is so cool.

Starting after running hard might be an vapor-lock.  I was given a recipe by a pulp logger one time and it works.  I don't know why it works because it's a little silly.

This is what he told me to do to solve the very problem you are experiencing.

Turn the switch off.  Take the choke off.  Do not pull the throttle trigger.  Pull the cord six times.(sometimes you need to experiment with the number)  Then turn the switch on, pull the choke and the engine should start or pop. If it pops, push the choke in and pull the cord again.

A properly set-up chainsaw with electronic ignition shouldn't require throttle to crank it.

Now I've repeated what he told me.  I wish I could tell you the why but i've not a clue. :P :D

JD_Kid

Hi ya
kinda sound's strange a bad plug could play up on ya so toss the plug ..other thing is look at ya plug lead and ya earth wire ,one of my saws would play up and i could not track it down i found the earth wire had been burned and earthed out now and then  was a eazy fix but a pain to find ..like tom said it could be a air lock ,a dolmar 122 i had was a pig to start if it run out of gas while working ..before it stops or ya stop it what happens?? if it max's out it maybe to lean to start or as tom said a vapor lock ..maybe this saw has had probs before and thats why it was on the market ..just off the top of my head how hot is it getting?? if running lean IE screaming it's guts out, if the fuel line got hot the fuel would air lock ,boil while refueling ..
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

keef661

:D :D thanks for the advise will try
,"bluegum" is an Australian native(pronounced Oztrilian)
koala bears quite partila to the leaves
exported to the land of the long white cloud aka aotearoa ,Godzone to us kiwis
stuffed means buggered ,tired,knackered rooted (worked hard etc)
cheers
Keef
Keef

Tom

I understand "tired" and "worked hard" :D  Buggered means something else here too.  If you damage the threads on a bolt then they are "buggered".  If a kid is pickin' his nose "bugger" would be applicable too. :D :D

Blue gum must be Eucalyptus.....Oh no, :-/ I'm thinking of melaleuca. :P  Oh well, can't let a little thing like that get in the way of a story. :D  We have that as an "Obnoxious Weed" imported once for ornament.  It is taking over the everglades and much of South Florida.  You may enjoy reading about some of efforts to get rid of it.  They've even tried letting Boy Scouts use the wood for firewood sales but they can't cut it fast enough.  I've found some really neat stories on the web about it.  We used to have it in our yard when I was a kid.  Charlie has memories of one that grew next to our garage and he tells me about it every 10 or 20 years. :D

Seems I was always the first to do something and then had to teach him. I was fearless and he always got this sheepish look on his face when I would call him.  I guess he was thinking "oh, know. Here we go again.  He's going to get me killed." :D :D

The running joke of a southern boy is that you should pay attention to him when he says "Hey, watch this!" Because it might just be the last time you see him alive. :D :D

KiwiCharlie

G'day keef,
Welcome aboard!  Dont mind Tom, youll get used to him making fun of us and the words we use!!  ;) ;) :D
I tried to learn them some Kiwi lingo, but I only scratched the surface (didnt help that I had to keep it family orientated!!)
Tell these guys about Gore - the country music capital of NZ!
Anyway, Ive got to shoot the gap out to the crib, to see the rellies, spark the barbie, and cook a few snarlers.......  :o
Cheers,
Charlie

PS, I would go with Tom and an airlock prob with the 066.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

keef661

founf ou what the problem was,an air leak in the inlet manifold
no problem now back in business,anyy thoughts on fuel ,oil mix for stihl?as per manual u should use stihl oil @50:1
spoken to a few "experts"&they say to use 25:1 with either castrol or shell 2 stroke oil
any ideas ??? ???
anyway Gore is another place in New Zealand thanks Kiwi
it is only about 100 clicks from where i come form
we call them Gorons every country has such a place you know where everyone looks alike&soliving crime is very difficult especially when dna tests are used!
the the jokes go something like this
when a husband&wife from Gore move to another country under the new countries law are they still brother&sister
 :D :D :D
anyway gotta shoot the gap ,keep your powder dry&
crack a few tinnies over the weekend

cheers

Keef

Keef

Kevin

That's a long way from an earth fault in the switch.  :D
How was the air leak detected?
I use manufacturer recommendations for fuel mix . 50:1

DanG

Yer "Country Music capital is "Gore?"   Must be named after the guy that invented the guitar. ;D     (Sorry, Kiwis. That's a little USA insider joke.)  :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Was that the same Gore that invented the internet?

Hey Kiwi Charlie 8)

Shoot the gap? :-/  That's what Evel Knievel did with his air-cycle. :D

I got my local grocery store to put marmite on the shelf.  I like it.  I tried to get them to get vegemite but they haven't been able to.  They were afraid that  they couldn't sell it because the Gov. apparently puts a 3 month retention date on it and then they have to throw it away.  There are quite a few English moving in over here now and the stuff won't stay on the shelf.  I guess I'll have to go down there and stand watch to get mine. :D  A 125g jar like you sent to me is what they are stocking and it sells for $4 US.

Spark the barbie?  :D

JD_Kid

Hi ya
good it hear ya found the prob ,i had been thinking of it while pushing tracks over the last few days ,my 120 Si dolmar had a rebuild and after it was a pig did not run i took the air intake off and found the air line that come back off the crankcase was 1/2 blocked cleaned it out and as good as old cheese ...
as for oil i have run all kinds from min oil to "made for buck rogers"the stihl oil is good but i think it's made by castrol the best stuff i have used was syn2 by valeoline(?) it's for raceing bikes at 100:1 burns clean, hard to mix tho ..most new oils ya do not have any probs with but check ya can thin them down to 50:1 or higher. some older oil's max out at 32:1
catch ya
JD Kid    

Frickman

I run Stihl oil, 50:1, and the highest octane gas I can buy. Usually 92 or 93 octane. The higher octane does nothing for the saw, you just get a better quality of gasoline that is more stable than 87. I also keep the container closed at all times, and try to use the fuel as quickly as possible. The "light ends" of the fuel, all the volatile stuff, can quickly evaporate. If you look right, you'll see the vapors escaping from an opened container. Eventually all you'll have is something akin to paint thinner. About half the local Stihl dealer's current workload is saws and trimmers left all winter with old gas in them. Now the carberatours are all gummed up and they won't run. The dealer told me to keep my fuel no longer than two months.

Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

keef661

two kiwi guys went into the national museum looking around the early settlers &explorers exhibits
one guy said to the other "statue bro"
his mate replied "no bro thats captain cook  eh"
(Kiwi Insider joke!!!!!!!!) :D :D :D
Keef

johncinquo

After trying all kinds and brands and mixes of oils I now use synthetic all the time, in all saws, and at the same ratio.  Havent had anything blow up and do not have carbon or crud build up as well.  It is nice to have one jug for everything from the 1951 Mcculloch to the 2001 Stihl 066.  It also has a fuel stabilizer built right in so worries of stale gas are no longer.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

SawInIt CA

I use 100 % Synthetic as well at the recomendation of my saw shop. The plugs last longer .....he says the saws will last longer as well. He recomends 32-1 also. Says that the 50-1 ratio is to keep the epa happy and 32-1 keeps your wallet happy 8). I use Honda HP2 synthetic 2 cyl oil.

woodmills1

now that the 06 is runnin right don't ya just love it?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

Hey Tom, if you need another batch of Vegemite, just let me know, and it'll be on its way!  Now, spark the barbie = light the bar-b-que.  Shoot the gap = get outa here.  Spark a durrie = light a smoke.
Have you ever heard of a pub pet?  Keef would call it a rigger, as those guys down the deep south speak funny!! ;) ;D

Keef, good to hear you got the 066 sorted.  I use Stihl oil at 50:1 with no worries.  Another thing to consider is that gas dont really last too long these days, since they took the lead out.  The additives give out.  If I end up with gas at around 7-10 days old, it goes straight in the car!  I get fresh gas either on the day, or the day before Im going to work!
Cheers
Charlie.

keef661

cheerrrrrrrrrs kiwi ,we don't speak funny rrrreally we are the only province in NZ that dosn't have an accent :D :D

as for some more local stuff from the deep south

do you like swedes???
what about muttonbirds nothing better to go with a few jugs of the tristarius *** kiwi charlie will know
&don't forget the bluff oysters best in the whole worrrrrld

took the day of work today to get better aquainted with the
066,magic, ;D ;D ;D

quick joke for Kiwi
the reason why there are all those 4wd's in Auckland
we hear that Queen street is a bugger to get through all those
loopeys on the way down 8) 8) 8)
Keef

keef661

question for Kiwi charlie,what chain would you recommend for the 066 general cutting in macrocarpa,bluegum etc ???
using carlton chain 3/8 purchased through local dist
have onle of those 12 volt griner thingy's and good old faithful hand sharpener files
the grinder  is good for getting rid of the ugly bits but you can't beat the hand file any thoughts :P :P

p.s marmite means future all black in Kiwi speak ;D ;D
Keef

KiwiCharlie

G'day Keef,
Carlton has a good name - Id be happy with that.  I didnt realise you could get their chain here - you learn something new every day, even if you dont want to!  I have Stihl chain ( on my 038 ) and use the Oregon ripping chain on the 090.  Dont you love NZ - you can get all the Stihl models that they cant buy in the States!  Those 2 models are among the best Stihl has made.
Emission laws suck!  All saws sold here have adjustable carbs too.  Nice.
Like you say, grinders are good for the major damage, but I prefer the manuel-de-labour for everyday touch ups.
And the slogan for today - Kiwi kids, are Weetbix kids. :D
Cheers
Charlie. 8)

keef661

kia ora kiwi,beem oot splitting today ,14 cu metres
macro,17 degrees in Invers ,ripleys believe it or not
put the 30 inch bar on for  rippin a few big rings approx 2 metres across   8) 8) 8)achange 8)awesome stuff
Allblacks 30-England 10 next week
go Southland for the NPC ;D ;D ;D ;D
Keef

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
yep carlton is a good chain i have been useing that or dolmar chain over the last few years with no probs ,i would have thought ya should have it up there kiwi or is it just a southern thing ;) that we can buy it??sorry keef i'll have to back otago (Ex southern man )anyone ever had a or seen a shoot out with 066 Vs PS 9000/9010 8) just wondering how they would stack up
what ya doing with the wood keef?? ya in the wood trade or just the home fire
catch ya
JD Kid

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

Im sure I can get Carlton up here, just never noticed it.
Re the NPC, I will have to back Northland all the way!  ::)
Keef - Southland??!!  Now that must be why we call the deep south 'Dreamland' ! ;)  17 deg?  Its a heat wave!  And no, I hate swedes!  Thats animal fodder.  Muttonbirds are good with the giggle-juice, and a good ole mince'n'cheese dead-eye or 2 the next morning!
Go the All Blacks!!!!!!!
Cheers
Charlie.

KiwiCharlie

Hey Keef,
You a Holden or a Ford fan? ???  Be careful with your answer - it could wreck our friendship!!  ;) :D ;D
I have to be careful what I say about Gore - my ex came from there, and Im still good friends with her brother!!  They grew up in Waikaka (background music = Deliverence banjo theme).
"Hey, watch this" fits perfectly Tom!!  :o
Cheers
Charlie.

Thank You Sponsors!