iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cold/flu

Started by coxy, January 13, 2018, 07:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

what are some of you guys taking for it I haven't been sick in about 4 years I got it this thing the other day and its kicking my   I have taken a few thing but nothings seems to be working  if I'm out side I don't feel so bad but after coming in side I do nothing but blow my nose and sneeze  any help would be great   thanks

Don P

Haven't found the magic bullet yet. My wife has had it for, shoot 10 days at least. It hit me the other day, I worked in that misty rain and went from sweating to freezing a few times and it got a toehold. Been about cross eyed ever since. I tried to do some cabinet work today but the joints started whining too much. Both mine and the wood, my give a dang was broken  :D I've been gargling with warm salt water every few hours and that does help.

51cub

If there is anything, I don't know it. I'm not convinced the flu shot works. I have enough breathing problems that the lung dr wants me to get the shot every year, and he wants it in his office so he knows what batch I got. It seems like every year I start to get sick, but the shot, and all the other medicine for breathing fights it. I end up going weeks feeling nasty instead of getting sick and be done with it
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

thecfarm

coxy,too much bikini wearing.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

The stuff is almost an epidemic here. I got the shot, didn't help a bi. Down for 2 weeks, still kinda weak. I never went to doctor, neighbors who did took just as long as me to shake it. Takes 2 weeks to shake it if you try to treat, 14 days if you just tuff it out.. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

It has been bad here too, the ER's are full. I finally got over the worst but it kicked my butt for almost a month. doc gave an antibiotic to control the chest congestion. It helped some, I also take Flonase aqueous, a prescription antihistamine to reduce the mucous which irritates my throat and causes coughing fits.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Grizzly

Quote from: thecfarm on January 13, 2018, 09:05:27 PM
coxy,too much bikini wearing.  :D

I figured this was gonna come up agin.  :D :D

As soon as i feel something comin on i take echinichea (spelling?) and vitamin c. i never seem to get as bad as others. If it ever does get bad i don't fight it. Just settle in for hot honey tea and long sleeps. Dad would always eat an onion sandwich and sweat it out. I haven't been brave enough to try that.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

LaneC

I got it 3 days ago. I should be good by tomorrow. I think an old saying is very true " feed a cold, starve a fever" I had a temp of 103 for most of the day yesterday and only ate 1 small bowl of ramen noodles. I took vitamin b12,c and E, when I started feeling it and I think that it helped a bunch. Be for-warned if you are thinking about getting any vitamin E, the bottle of vitamin e was 40 dollars. My daughter works at a dr. office and it is rampant this year. That flu shot is in my opinion (and a lot of others who still got it ) is highly debatable. No, I did not get the flu shot this year.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Brucer

It takes several months to "manufacture" (i.e., grow) all the doses of flu vaccine required each year.  No one can predict for sure what flu strains are going to show up that far in advance. So the experts get together, do some educated guesswork, and a lot of the time pick the proper strains.

This year they were spot on -- got the "right" vaccines for this year's major strains. Unfortunately, the vaccine for the most common flu virus this year appears to have mutated while it was being manufactured. In both Canada and the US, the vaccine has been found to be only 10% effective.

So, good prediction, crappy manufacturing.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ianab

Because the Flu virus is constantly mutating, the vaccine is always playing catch-up. 

They can analyse the current strains, try and predict which ones are going to spread, and make a vaccine for those strains. Problem is that someone gets off the plane from Elbonia with a new strain the Docs have never seen before.

All the vaccine does is improve your odds. If the option is equally to get last years variant, OR this years, then the vaccine is is a good bet, 50% better chance of not getting sick.

Also if it's a subtly mutated version of the virus, you might be partly immune. Feeling crap for a couple of days sure beats a couple of weeks in hospital, or dieing.

But currently all the vaccine does is improve your odds in the lottery. 

I get it each year for free because I'm "high risk" in the local health system. Cheaper to give me a jab every year for the rest of my life than keep me in in ICU for a day, even if the odds aren't 100%, they can probably pay for 100 fly shots for the cost of 1 person ending up in hospital.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

samandothers

This year I am participating in a trial.  I got a shot but don't know it it the test vaccine or a placebo.  The vaccine being tested is able to be manufactured more quickly than current.  This allows a new batch to be created if the initial batch is not correct for the strain. 

two tired

Take elderberry syrup we get it from Walgreens. It seems to help if not keep you from getting sick.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

coxy

Quote from: two tired on January 24, 2018, 09:31:25 AM
Take elderberry syrup we get it from Walgreens. It seems to help if not keep you from getting sick.
never heard of elderberry syrup

two tired

google elderberry syrup. In my neck of the woods  wall Mart has it . If you have a Walgreens drug store in your area they  may carry it. Our local Walgreens and wall Mart has it
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Raider Bill

Olwhatshername is on day 6. We just got back from the doctor, everyone there was coughing wheezing, hacking and looked like death. I opened the door, chucked her in and slammed it closed. Reminded me of a horror movie.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

I've taken it the last 2 years and really can't say if it helped or not but this influenza isn't anything to fool with, we lost a little kindergarten girl just 25 miles south of us the other day because of it.  I took my wife to the ER 2 days ago with irregular heartbeat, she'd been sick for about a week and they figured it was dehydration, who knows but it's only money and she's still alive.  Not saying the shot works anymore but it can't hurt  ???.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 25, 2018, 11:23:31 AM
Olwhatshername is on day 6. We just got back from the doctor, everyone there was coughing wheezing, hacking and looked like death. I opened the door, chucked her in and slammed it closed. Reminded me of a horror movie.

What!!! You touched the door handle???

Raider Bill

Nope, used my handkerchief, lucky for them it was clean. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 25, 2018, 11:23:31 AM

Younger son Chris works as a nurse in an urgent care place near Minneapolis.  His advice is to stay d'hell out of Dr offices, waiting rooms or hospitals. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

I should not say this or even think this. My wife has known me for more than 23 years. Only once she saw me down, and that was with an ear infection that only lasted one night.
I see to remember the step son calling about something for the flu. They did not want to see him. Everything was done over the phone. Now you pick up the drugs at grocery stores.  :o  ::)  Years ago,it was just drug stores,easier to keep away from sick people.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Avoid any place where people gather!

A waiting room of any kind is to be avoided, and if you can't avoid them, the biggest thing to avoid in there is "reading the magazines"!  Lots of colds are transmitted on the magazine rack!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ed_K

Wear a medical mask as soon as you get thru the door and find the hand sanitizer. Stay in the woods where I belong  ;D .
Ed K

sandhills

Well, went in last Friday for a follow up to a physical (doc changed my blood pressure meds) and after 2 1/2 hours got let go, pretty sure the only thing they didn't do was change the oil in my truck, and yes it needs it. I hadn't been feeling good all week but not that bad either just told him I had tightness in my chest and lost my breath easy, so after lab tests an ekg, and chest Xrays they let me leave saying it must just be a virus, can't wait to get the bill for this one.  I do like my doctor but I also know me and probably should've put a stop to it, they've been having a LOT of influenza? around here so better safe than sorry I guess.

coxy

blood pressure issues at your age    about 8 years ago they wanted to give me pills to raise my bad cholesterol  :o i had a fit told them let it go it will raise on its own sooner or later last month they checked it again its still below normal so I'm glad for that that means i can eat all kinds of fatty food  8)

Chuck White

Heck, Coxy, I had a heart attack just after I turned 46, so age really don't have a lot to do with it!

Actually my heart attack didn't have much to do with the heart other than that's where it happened!  ::)

The doc that did the angioplasty said most likely "acute mi" was caused by a small clot probably caused by banging into the coffee table during the night, and it couldn't fit through the small artery that it wanted to go through!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!