iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3-53 Blower Damage

Started by larry12, October 21, 2018, 12:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry12

Hi folks I'm back (formerly larry1) Have an old 230 that's been sitting and the blower gear is broke off , and the blades are broke with pieces missing.The engine is seized , but don't know if the gear is jammed below in the other gears, or if water got in the cylinders. or both ? Gonna pull it out this week anyway . It's been soaking with fuel for awhile , and a 6' pipe won't turn it over . Anyone else had a gear jam below ? --can't get any pics yet --sorry 

mike_belben

When the blower bearings wear out the rotor tips start making out with each other.  Did a bearing grenade and let them really lock lips?
Praise The Lord

larry12

Don't know , I wasn't running it last when it shut down . Will keep you posted on progress.

mike_belben

smiley_thumbsup

I worked at a diesel shop way back, we called the blower on those the trash pump.  By the time they were in for overhaul, the trash pump had rarely failed to pump the trash from its rotor tips into the bores.  
Praise The Lord

larry12

Well I pulled it out today since the temp. up here was about 70 degrees l.o.l. Got the trans and reverser off in one piece. Now I just may send the rest of it, since it's complete, to the college diesel class for a winter project  since I'm not in a hurry anyway . Will talk to the shop teacher tomorrow .

larry12

Turns out that the college doesn't need another project at this time. Removed the bell housing and discovered that the gears are all good and found a washer laying in the bottom of the housing. But when I drained the oil before removing the pan , about 1 cup of water came out before the oil . So, I guess its time to remove the head and "face the music " l.o.l.

bushmechanic

The rotor lobes being broke is usually a sign of water getting into the blower and freezing if it has been sitting for a while. When you say "water" is it actually water or antifreeze? Also when you remove the head watch out for the fuel rod from the governor to the rack, very easy to bend while removing the head and a small crook in that will fool with the rpm. Keep us posted! Oh and Mike there are no blower bearings or bushings on a 353 blower FYI. ;) 

larry12

It was clear water that came out .  Thanks for the info.  about the fuel rod. I ll be pulling the head off when the weather is good . I'm working outside and we had snow lately --will keep you posted .

mike_belben

Quote from: bushmechanic on October 28, 2018, 07:49:01 AM! Oh and Mike there are no blower bearings or bushings on a 353 blower FYI. ;)
I dont know, i only pulled engines there.  But is that not a sleeve bushing?  What do the rotors turn in? 

Blower Seal Sleeve for Detroit Diesel 53 Series Engine | DP 5199368 | Diesel Pro Power
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

Those are wear sleeves that press onto the shaft of the rotor and the seal rides on them, it's the last update on the blower seals. The rotor shafts ride directly on the blower end plates, aluminum with pressurized oil directly to them. If you get a chance to rebuild one take it you'll find it interesting.  

mike_belben

Sooo.. Youre saying i should actually change the oil in my 353 then?   ;D
Praise The Lord

Corley5

Regular filter changes aren't enough ??? :D ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

larry12

Pulled the head off today , and all three cyl. are filled with water . I sponged the water out and the cyls don't look too bad. I sprayed in oven cleaner and buffed with some 320 ---they cleaned up good . I will put some hot ATF in to soak . I'm thinking the liners will jump up if she breaks loose , so it might need a rebuild kit ( new pistons / liners ).

larry12

Well folks I finally have a few pics. in my gallery . You probably noticed the Eaton Diffs and that's one reason I'm fixing her . So , I removed the left wheel to get repaired. The  gears are all good with no broken blower gear jammed . I cleaned rust from cyls. , but can turn her with a 4 ' pipe . So I boiled ATF / fuel  and filled the cyls. except # 3 is below the port holes and the fluid runs out .I never did find the broken blower gear, but I didn't remove it so who knows where it is . I'll let her sit and see what happens ? A few years ago , I bought an anti-seize product at Napa in Mich but I can't find it now . I unseized a farm tractor overnight with it . It had some type of acid in it that was actually too strong 

to breath . 

bushmechanic

You didn't find the gear? Looks pretty strange to me that the gear bolt is missing also. Seems like someone took it off. Looks like a good score on the machine none the less.

Flyingpig

Sounds like blower issues were pretty common on driptroits. I've got a 230 with a grenaded blower, it was because someone actually used it as a trash pump, the left a bad air filter in until it got sucked in and blew up the rotors. We bought a 404 yesterday that I'm thinking the same thing happened to, driving across a field, all of a sudden black smoke and then locked up solid. Sounds like another bad blower to me.

larry12

3-53 are getting harder to find up here . Although I love the sound of them and they work good, I may just swap it out for something else if it comes along . I need at least 90 HP. with lots of torque . We installed a 6 cyl gas international in a 200 years ago, and it worked fine ( extended the front end 18 ") though. I wouldn't mind having a 4 cyl cummins like the newer TJs have .

sandersen

Great job.  Fun to see the old jacks being worked on. Good luck. 
"Make every step count."

mike_belben

Youll need to factor in the cost of prosthetic limbs after pricing 4BTs.

I am stunned that the mercedes OM617 hasnt become a staple of skidder replacement engines.  It suits them to a tee and is or was plentiful everywhere for cheap.  They can make all the power you want and be maintained via napa. 
Praise The Lord

pdxh20

I bought my '74 S-8 IH with 4 gallons of rainwater in the 3-53 (no air filter or housing 5+ years in western WA). Blower frozen & busted like yours. Pulled the blower and rebuilt it after cannibalizing another 3-53 I bought for $300 as a spare (also seized). Not too bad a job but you need to have a good set of pullers for the gears, and pay attention that the shaft seals in the rebuild kit are the right size for the oversize wear sleeves in the kit...The Detroit service manual is clear & easy to follow for the whole process.

Don't sweat a few (minor) chunks & scratches in the lobe tips, but clean them up as best as you can. I put in rebuilt injectors, timed them & the valves, set the rack, and away she went. Changed the oil & filters twice and she smokes & leaks just like a 'troit, 60LB oil pressure and plenty of power once you put the pedal to the floor.
'56 American crawler crane, Komatsu mini-ex, multiple Stihl saws, '75 IH S-8 cable skidder, 2000 F450 30' bucket truck, '95 Chev 4 x 4 2500 p/u, '05 Sprinter SHC 2500 van

Satamax

Quote from: sandersen on November 04, 2018, 12:31:43 PM
Great job.  Fun to see the old jacks being worked on. Good luck.
It's funny, in France we call these "Tims"
;D
I hate the sound of my 6-71, and for what i have heard, i wouldn't like the sound of 3-53 either.
But there is one thing, i love the simplicity of those engines!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

coxy

you have to run a 6-71 with straight pipe  ;D better yet 8v71 with straight pipe sounds a lot better if my dad was still with us he could tell you the story with the cop I cant remember the hole thing but I do remember going and getting it out of the impound yard with him I remember the judge telling him you need your check book and a credit card to pay your fines but all said it was only 500 bucks plus the tow it had mufflers put on after that but was still loud as could be  I miss my old 353 when especially working next to tree hugging neighbors  :D

Thank You Sponsors!