iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

80-83 170 franklin skidder

Started by tree chopper, December 21, 2011, 04:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree chopper

im thinking about trading my 1972 160 franklin in on a 1982 170 franklin with a 453 detroit and auto transmission my question is how are the auto trannys and is there anything else i should know to look for thanks
me my son a 1968 chevy c50 log truck 1972 franklin 160 with a 453 detroit a prentice h model log loader with a cab mounted on a 1985 international s model huskee woodsplitter and a old military conveyor 2165 josered 2188 jonsered 266 husky 455 husky 036 pro stihl 460 magnum stihl and a p52 pioneer

inthewoods

Truthfully I know relatively little about my 170 because it's new to me as of this last year.  What I do know is the transmission (4 speed auto) has been completely refurbished, possibility in 1998 when the Cummins recon was dropped in.  When I got my hands on it a haldex hydraulic pump was cracked, so there was no hyd pressure...& they apparently had just lost all drive except reverse.  I took the driveshafts off & towed it home (4 miles/1000 feet up) with my Skidder & forwarder.
This one's a forwarder, with enclosed cab.  new 28L's, new hydraulics for the boom, great soundin turbo 5.9... But I haven't even got to run it.
Hope to get the time to work on it soon.
Andy
oh, fellow logger friend says he went thru planetarys on the 170's.
Safety is my #1 priority!
Awesome wife & kids
Off grid home - Hydro Turbine+solar+wind
3 blade mill, JD 440D, Franklin 170, Mack-Polar Prehauler, Fiat 14C dozer, IH 3850D loader, F600 dump, 01 F350 crew, 93 F350 idi-9'2"V, Walter, 385xp(x2), 281xp, JET 15", Partner K700, Sachs 119&120, 2159c, Etc.

lumberjack48

I would stay away from a power shift

I ran power shift, you can't just let anybody run it, i wouldn't let my dad or brother use mine.  They were good Ole stick shift Treefarmer boys.
You have to keep the torque converter locked up tight or your going to slip the tran's causing over heating, scoring packs ect..
The thing is you don't even know your slipping the tran if you have no idea how to drive it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

tree chopper

thanks lumberjack but how would you recomend driving to keep the converter locked up? thanks
me my son a 1968 chevy c50 log truck 1972 franklin 160 with a 453 detroit a prentice h model log loader with a cab mounted on a 1985 international s model huskee woodsplitter and a old military conveyor 2165 josered 2188 jonsered 266 husky 455 husky 036 pro stihl 460 magnum stihl and a p52 pioneer

jocco

I would like to see pictures of the 160 ;D
You may check out but you will never leave

lumberjack48

tree chopper when buying a auto you have no idea what shape its in. It might have a turned bearing, packs or disks might be scored or wore out.

Maybe i shouldn't be so hard on a power shift, i had one for 16 yrs.
The thing is there the best when its working, if you have problems its the worst $$$$$$$$

Driving a power shift, when pulling always full throttle, this keeps it cool and the torque converter locked up. When you shift up don't let up on the throttle, [this is why its call a power shift] peddle down, after you shift up and the motor starts losing RPM , shift back down, you don't want to hear the motor lug down.   
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!