iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

franklin 132 forwarder weight

Started by timberlinetree, September 14, 2014, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

We are almost done paying for the forwarder 8) and need to get ready to move it. Can anyone guess the weight of this machine? Thanks.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BargeMonkey

That weighs in at 28000 lbs, I would figure your in the 25-26000 range. Youve got a nice looking machine, a forwarder is handy. Cummins or detroit ? Front pivot or center swivel ? To far from home to run her down the road ? Another local guy around here has a sister to that machine, he moves alot of wood, and this one is TIRED. Another guy had it on a big state job and pawned it off on this guy, had a 453 that ran good on 3 cylinders.

timberlinetree

Thanks barge monkey for helping me out.

timberlinetree

It has a JD engine 8) I think that's good?

BargeMonkey

Deere engine is a plus over a detroit. You can put up quite a pile, your most stable 1/2 loaded. You bought her locally ? Mine came from Vermont.

timberlinetree

Got it from a log trucker. Its originally from Mi but bought it in Ct. Can't wait to get it we could really use it.

BargeMonkey

The guy who was cutting out back moved alot of wood with his, little older than yours but looked the same, and had been extended. Figure your close to 4 cords loaded. Takes a little getting used to always working off the side but they do a cleaner job.

RHP Logging

At first I thought you had a 170 there. Then i noticed where the axle is at. I bet if you were loaded full of 16s runnin up a little hill it would be easy to pop a wheelie.  I was loaded full of 12 ft red oak and the front end was gettin pretty light going uphill the other day.  On flat ground I pile logs until they are falling off. Up and down hills I leave a little air space at the top of the rack. I average 1350bf per skid. I've know l've had close to 1800bf on a bunk. That gets a little nuts though.  The loader on the roof takes some getting used to, but she will pick up 4 ft diameter 8 ft long red oak when its tight to the machine. You've got 360 degree swing ability which is super handy, especially on the hills. Work them hills straight up and down. Shes really top heavy, but once you figure out your limits you can do just about anything. Any questions on it let me know. I've been just about everywhere through the machine.
Buckin in the woods

timberlinetree

Thanks for the replays should have it in two weeks.  I'll tell them it weights 26000. I have ran log loader but never a forwarder. Can't wait to pick up a log! Getting tired of pushing logs with skidder into piles.

BargeMonkey

You will be suprised when she picks the opposite rear tire when loading, even with 23.1 tires. I ran mine for 2yrs on the header logging up, makes life so much easier, or bunched in the woods, kept the wood clean even in mid season.

lynde37avery

Sweet deal. Good to hear your gonna be that Frank's new owner. Can't wait to see pics of it in action.
Detroit WHAT?

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mad murdock

We operated a 132 Franklin with the Allis-Chalmers turbo diesel in it.  It had an empty weight of 23,000 on the data tag in the cab.  It had a 20' hawk loader on it. We just had the standard bunk, no extension like you have.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

timberlinetree

Think we are making the last payment this fri 8) 8). Thanks for all the replies and I'm sure I'll have some questions since we have never owned one. I think I say it weighs 24,000 to be safe? Really can't wait for this machine to be on the job!

Thank You Sponsors!