iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Tree

Started by swampwhiteoak, December 30, 2001, 04:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampwhiteoak

I was thinking of cutting these two up and sawing some lumber.  Do you think I could get enough lumber to saw myself a nice shed? :D  And by the way, what kinda tree is it?

CHARLIE

My guess is that they are a couple of those giant redwoods in California. I think you'll need a big 4HP chainsaw with a 6 foot bar.

What do I win? ::) ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

a can o peas :D and grits? :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

Big tree!   that's not a big tree......This is a big tree. mis-Quote from Crocodile Dundee

According to legend, many treaties with Native Americans were signed under the spreading limbs of the Treaty Oak in Jacksonville, Florida. The huge live oak, located in the heart of the city's downtown, is more than 200 years old. It probably sprouted while the Spanish were exploring Northeast Florida. Today, the tree stands 66 feet tall. Some of its massive, twisting branches spread more than 80 feet.

Today, Jeff and I, along with our wives and his daughter, visited the tree.  This is his daughter, Stacy, standing amongst the entwining limbs of the gigantic tree.

swampwhiteoak

Nice live oak tree, Tom, but afraid it can't quite match the size of these giants.  These are giant seqiuas in Mariposa Grove in Yosemite N.P.  About 15 feet DBH at least.  200 or so feet tall.  If memory serves these are called the twin giants.  The largest tree in Mariposa Grove is the Grizzly Giant, which is a bit larger, but when they're all this big it is hard to tell.  All trees in the grove have large fire scars and many are hollow, although I don't think these two were.  Picture was taken last summer on a fire trip on the way to Sierra National Forest from Nevada.  Since we had to pass through Yosemite anyway, we were able to talk the bosses into letting us stop for a few hours and see these huge trees.

Only sequias left are in the rugged Sierra mountains where the glaciers couldn't get to them.  They used to cover a pretty wide range.  Largest organisms the world has ever seen.

Jeff

Oh yea???????? Well, this tree covers more acres then. ;D

swampwhiteoak

Hey Charlie,
If you are ever in my neck of the woods I'll provide you with a can of cold peas free of charge.  And I'll even throw in a plastic spork  ;D

I got another picture or two of a full tree, crown and all.  I'll try to remember to post it.  Hard to get an idea of size without a reference, though, that's why I posted one with people in it.

CHARLIE

Hey Swamp, you make it awful tempting to come to California. I mean.....by offering me a can of cold peas WITH a plastic fork. :o  That means I wouldn't have to spend 1/2 my 15 minute lunchtime whittling myself a spoon.  I can tell that you are a thoughtful person.  But I'm plum scairt to go to California.  It'd be my luck the the BIG one would hit just as I stepped off the plane or else I'd get caught in one of those big forest fires with no place to go.......or, or I'd get invited to someones house and just as I walked in the front door, the dang thing would slide to the bottom of the hill.:o  I'm just plain scairt to go west of the San Andreas fault line. ;)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Charlie, swamp is in Ohio. He just used those big trees to get your attention.

swampwhiteoak

As Jeff said, I ain't no Californian.  This was my first trip to there in my life.  To be quite honest, it wasn't like what I expected.  Nice clean lakes with super big bass, lots of mountains and trees and not too many people.  There was even a trailer park near fire camp.

Course we were in the Sierra mtns., far away from the leftists on the coast.  Wasn't around long enough to experience a quake, riot, tree sitter, or a gang war (God forbid I got a job out there and would have to decifer the forest practices codes).  Biggest city I was in was Fresno, and then only on the air force base waiting for a ride home.  All the locals were very nice, course we were keeping their town from burning down so that might have something to do with it.  

In contrast, the first part of the trip was Nevada.  God awful desert.  The only trees we saw were little pockets of quaking aspen high in the mountains, and a few siberian elms in the towns.  Spent the whole time whacking sagebrush.  Locals didn't quite give a grand reception, either.  First off, there weren't too many of 'em, second we were in the area where the "Sagebrush Rebellion" occurred a year or two earlier.  They don't like anything to do with the forest service.  So maybe California just seemed great in comparison.

CHARLIE

My apologies Swamp. Those trees confused me. But don't be concerned ;D cause I've been confused before. So....if you live in Ohio, then that must mean I have to travel to Ohio for that can of peas and a spork 8) 8).  Does that mean I'll have to come close to Cleveland or Cincinatti? Jeff has me plumb scairt to go near either of those cities without a respirator. ::) Can a man get grits in Ohio? ;D
Charlie

swampwhiteoak

I'm about equal distance from each, Charlie.  You can get grits at my place, but I have to import them :)

Thank You Sponsors!