iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Location of someone that can hammer a 56" circular Blade in North Carolina

Started by 01frick, November 09, 2007, 10:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01frick

I have (2) 56"circular blades that I would like to have hammered. I am in the Greenville North Carolina area. Would like to find out if that there is someone close by that will do this. Should the teeth be removed when sent for hammering?

Don P

I've had Carrol's saw shop in Hamlet, near Rockingham do mine. That's quite a trot from Greenville, my folks both went to ECTC  :). Leave the shanks and bits in just as you have been running it. It keeps the tension and gives him clues about how you've run it. Check Mitch Simpson's website he might have some more sawdocs on there.

Ron Wenrich

Teeth stay in the saw.  If you change shanks, then your saw will need hammered.  But, they pound them with everything the way you would saw.

B H Payne is a saw manufacturer in East Point, GA.  They would surely know of saw docs in your area.  Give them a call.  Here's their website for more info:

http://paynesaws.com/

They also have a copy of Lundstrum's book on circle saw maintenance and set up.  Good book.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

getoverit

B.H.Payne saws over in eastport Georgia really isnt that far from you and should be able to hammer your blade or at least point you toward someone who can. You can get their info at www.paynesaws.com
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Fla._Deadheader

Ask for Bobby Richardson, and BE SURE to tell him you were advised to contact him THROUGH the Forestry Forum.  I'va had him looking on here to possible help sponsor this place.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don_Papenburg

On a simalar note , who do we in central Illinois get to hammer our blades ? 
  I have a couple of 56" and one 60"  for my frick .  I will need new teeth also.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Don P

I just got a box from Payne,  I screwed up the Visa number, with me out on the job we played phone tag, and he still got them out fast and in fine humor  :)

Ron Wenrich

A box of teeth?  I've been told the only teeth you can buy are Simonds, and I'm not real impressed at what I'm getting. Any other producers?

And, Payne could probably tell you who's hammering saws in central Illinois.  Menominee Saw is one of our sponsors and they're up in Michigan.  They may be able to tell you about shipping up to their locale.

Don P

Yes they were Simonds, I've heard the same thing about them being all thats left  ??? I think there is an IKS plant in Richmond that can doctor a saw too  ???

shopteacher

I'm off of teaching for this year and would be glad to hammer them for ya. Should I bring a ballpein or a sledge?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Don_Papenburg

I knew of Menominee but was hoping for someone close .  That way I could go brouse and get things I didn't know I needed. ;D
  Who is Payne?
Shopteacher , Where are you located ?   I haven't run my blades yet ,they may not need hammering yet .  I got one with the saw  and the others at an auction. No clue what mill they were from ,if it was right or left hand.

Ron Wenrich

Payne is a saw maker, much like Hoe and Simonds.  They send their saws out to a lot of different saw docs and sawmill supply shops.  They should be more than willing to give you a few names of their distributors. 

The saw that came with your mill should be fine.  The ones from the auction should be hammered.  Someone got rid of them for a reason.  I would also consider new shanks.

BBK

Piper Saw Shop in Central City Kentucky ia another good saw doc / supply shop for circle saws.

Pacific Hoe out west is the best alternative to Simons for teeth and shanks I have found.
I have never been too impressed with simonds. Their saws seem to run hard and take more power to keep in the cut and their bits have never matched up the the Hoe.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Ron Wenrich

Hoe has been out of the teeth business for about 10 years.  IKS out of Canada bought them out.  Simonds bought out IKS about 4-5 years ago.  I'm not fond of Simonds' bits.

Hoe still makes shanks.

Don_Papenburg

Ron , It was an estate auction .  But never the less I think I will need some work because nothing ever goes as planned  or hoped for.

BBK

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 12, 2007, 05:35:31 PM
Hoe has been out of the teeth business for about 10 years.  IKS out of Canada bought them out.  Simonds bought out IKS about 4-5 years ago.  I'm not fond of Simonds' bits.

Hoe still makes shanks.

I bought tmy last set of  bits from Hoe in spring of '98. (box of 1000) Didn't know they sold to IKS. Thanks for the info.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

01frick

Shopteacher, How large of a sledge hamer do you have? Bring several.  :D,Curtis

shopteacher

i didn't get a chance today, but plan to take a picture of a blade I have here.  Will try to get it taken tomorrow.  My 20 pounder should put a few dimples in it for ya.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

01frick

Shopteacher, A 20 pounder should do it. Let me know when you are in this area. Thanks! Curtis

Thank You Sponsors!