iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping wood products

Started by Faron, October 03, 2009, 06:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

I may need to ship some wedges from southern Indiana to southern Michigan.  Can anyone suggest how to find the most economical way to do this?  Maybe a freight company you use and have good luck with?  We are talking about 300 pounds or so, and the wedges are 18" long.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Kansas

I would find out what it would cost to ship UPS, with the weight in smaller packages. Then call a freight broker. I have a feeling UPS would be cheaper.

Cedarman

Faron,
Call Mitch at Freightquote 800 323 5441  ext 1855.  Tell him I sent you
You should get a quote of about 100 bucks or so.  At least that is what it would cost me.
But then again, you may not if you only ship one time.  Anyway, he will give you the skinny on shipping.
UPS will be a lot higher.  Anything over 200#, I ship LTL.

When shipping something like 300#, I get a quote on 600# also and let the customer know that shipping double order will save a good bit on shipping.
Richard
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

easymoney

fedex ground is a lot cheaper than ups . at least they was  a couple of years ago when i was shipping a lot of large packages.

dewwood

How far are you from Cedarman?  I may be making a trip to his place in the near future, if the customer decides to go ahead with the order.  I could handle the weight with no problem.  What part of southern Michigan are you talking about?  PM me if you have an interest.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Magicman

I have actually shipped 6' lumber UPS.  I just strapped it together, no box or anything.  Put a label on it and away it went.  The UPS guy said that was a first for him.  You should have seen the faces of the other folks in line.   :o  The customer was happy.....And so was I...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I got curious what it would actually cost to ship UPS vs FedEx. I used Faron's city and Ann Arbor, Michigan at the other end. For 300 lbs, broke up into 50 lb packages, UPS was 141.30.  FedEx was 109.62, if you use a self help location.

Cedarman

Don'tforget to add the cost for the 6 boxes and the time it takes to box them up.  You can send unboxed wood, but there is a $5.00 charge I think.  I would call Fedex and have them tell you a quote.  That seems a little low, but Kansas, you may have a good rate with them.

Faron

Hey, guys, Thanks for the information.  I'll make some calls and see what I can find.  Dewwood, thanks for that offer.  We'll see what I can find.  The customer might come to your place and pick up the order.  He is around Dundee, MI.  I sent you a PM.    I have one customer who comes from Missouri for a pickup load every once in a while.  I think I have a good product at a reasonable price, if I can just get them to the end user

I need to get over and meet my neighbor, Cedarman anyway.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Faron

Cedarman must be getting lonely.  ;) That 800 number is to  Eastern Red Cedar Products. :D  We just went ahead and chewed the fat awhile anyway. 8)

Cedarman

Thanks Faron, for letting me know I messed up.  The modify button has now been used to good effect.  The correct number is there now.

Faron

When I called you this morning, I thought I had somehow dialed the wrong number.  I had been looking at your website, so I knew you had one, but couldn't figure out how I had written it down.  I imagine I sounded confused.

Thank You Sponsors!