iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catfish anyone???

Started by gator gar, June 12, 2011, 12:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

Went out on Lake Livingston this morning and caught 25 blue cats in 1 hour and 10 minutes of being on the water, drifting jugs. What could you do with a pile of fillets???

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fishpharmer

Nice catch Gator!  The fish sure are consistent in size.

Dan, jug fishing is a common method for taking catfish in the south.  Its simply some kind of jug (rules vary by state) with a line and baited hook attached.  I think gators pic of the blue cooler contains the jugs.  Once baited you throw them out in the water.  The baited hook dangles a short distance below. Soon the fun begins and you chase them in a boat when a fish bites.  They are self setting, the harder the fish pulls the better the hook sets.  The jugs drift around until the fish bites, then they are pulled around by the fish. Its fun.  Gator thanks for sharing.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom

Florida doesn't allow jug fishing, but we can 'Bush hook' in most waters.

I'll bet Texas Ranger would love to have a bunch of those dressed fish.

Mooseherder

Looks like you need to invite all yer friends and relatives over for a Fishfry. :)
Really nice looking fillets.

WildDog

Nice fish there,

Quote'Bush hook'
???
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Wilddog,
A bush hook is a piece of line with a sinker and a hook that you tie on a small limb hanging over the creek and bait with anything from cut bait to live shiners or bream.   The bait is submerged to the bottom sometimes, or is hung so that a live bait will cause a bit  of ruckus at the surface.  The catfish eats the bait and the limb acts as the pole.  You set them out, visit them regularly throughout the day/night to get the fish and re-bait them.  Then, when you finish, you pick them up and take them home.

The problem that wild-life officers have is that some people won't pick them up.

Dan_Shade

sounds like 'gator huntin' to me, tom!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Very similar but the bait is in the water instead of being suspended above it.  In the big rivers near me, limb lining (bush hooks) result in some very large flathead catfish being caught.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

i may rig up my bathtub and see what I catch....

;D

LeeB

Them are just the right size for frying whole. I have got to get out and do some trotlining. I haven't caught any catfish in far far too long. It's been years.
I like the sink set up for cleaning. Is it yours or at the dock?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

gator gar

Yes, the sink set-up is mine,here at the house. This time of year, when you are drifting jugs, you catch alot of what we call market sized catfish.They look like they are all cut from the same mold. In the winter time, when I anchor a different type of jug, or use trotlines, you catch a variety of sized fish. Mostly bigger fish. Depends on the school of fish you happen to be over.

My buddy, who owns a fish market, fished the same morning as I did, but went farther out in the main lake and said he was catching plenty of 2-4 pounders. He had 36 in his boat when I called him at 8;40 in the morning as I was rolling my last jug up. The limit is 50 fish per day here on Lake Livingston.

I used to commercial fish for catfish and am usually pretty good at it. We like to have our limit in the boat by at least 10 am. Earlier if possible. Now days, I like to go out, hit them hard, catch all that I want to clean in this heat and come home as early as possible.

There is an art to drifting jugs. I learned from the guys that make a living off of doing it, day in and day out. On average I may have a loss rate of 1%. That's one fish per 100 that comes off my hook, when I try to get it in the boat. The way these jugs are designed is simple, but deadly.

Chris Burchfield

We set trot lines and Yo Yo's tied to limbs hanging over the water around here.  That is a fine looking catch.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WildDog

QuoteWilddog,
A bush hook is a piece of line with a sinker and a hook that you tie on a small limb hanging over the creek and bait with anything from cut bait to live shiners or bream.   The bait is submerged to the bottom sometimes, or is hung so that a live bait will cause a bit  of ruckus at the surface.  The catfish eats the bait and the limb acts as the pole.  You set them out, visit them regularly throughout the day/night to get the fish and re-bait them.  Then, when you finish, you pick them up and take them home.

Ah, now if you just called em "springers" I'd know what you mean :D Thanks for the explanation Tom.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

LOGDOG

I love deep fried, whole catfish about that size. Have any of you ever tried pickling catfish? I can't imagine that it would be bad. Nice white meat. I used to think walleye was tops until I moved South and started eating catfish. I'd eat catfish before I'd eat walleye now.

Buck

Try hitting em with McCormick seasonall and smoking em...guys, thats fine eating.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

jdtuttle

Beer batter & deep fried  :)

jim
Have a great day

gator gar

Went out this morning and put a hurt on them pretty quick. Caught 24 in just over an hour.

Texas Ranger

DanG it, your gonna make make me buy a boat.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Coon

Looks like you had fun before the work began.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Coon

LOGDOG, the key for the best tasting walleye is to catch them in the coldest water you can find.  Even around here during the summer in the warmer weather and shallower lakes the walleye get kinda soft and the meat isn't as white as in the deeper colder waters.  Wished we had cats around here as I'd love to try them. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Raider Bill

I do love a good Walleye! We used to drift fish them up north.

We also used to catch river/crick Bullhead which to me is the same as a small catfish.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Raider Bill

What's the difference between a catfish of this size and a Bullhead?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!