iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber grading

Started by rathbone, March 28, 2006, 08:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rathbone

I need some info on what "grade" means.  I have an opportunity to saw for a company that sells hardwoods to the general public, cabinet makers Etc. when we spoke, I got the impression he was very strict about what he took.  He talked alot about Grade, FAS, B1, B3 Etc.  What do these terms mean?   How does one identify a board by looking at it?  I believe this company is honest enough, but I would like to be able to understand what these folks are taliking about and to be able to carry on a conversation with them and not have to blindly trust them.  If someone could point me in the right direction or if someone knows if there are classes or if there is a website I could visit to learn about this, I would greatly appriecate it.

Thanks !!!
Rathbone

raycon

The NHLA site has a pamphlet that explains the grading rules.  Look under merchandise for NHLA rules book -- price is $7.00. This info is probably online somewhere as well. 

http://www.natlhardwood.org/
Lot of stuff..

twoodward15

It's online, but it's over at that other site.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Larry

I assume your talking hardwood lumber grades.  The authority is the NHLA.  Go here NHLA to buy the official rule book.  On the second page is an Introduction to Grading for a buck fifty.  Simple and has pictures.  Next step up is a self taught course...didn't see it for sale so you might have to call to get it.  Think it is maybe $30 or so.  If your serious they offer 3 day short courses all round the country.  They are an introduction to grading.  If your selling grade lumber wholesale, I highly recommend it as the payback is short, and it means extra money in your pocket forever.

Hardwood lumber grading is very complex.  Inspector's take a 7 week course along with several years of on the job training.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

You can read about it in PDF format from Chapter 5 of the

Wood Handbook - Wood as an Engineering Material

This info is available to the public for free use and free copying. Just look at the FAS (for Firsts and Seconds) for the minimum width and length, and the minimum size clear cutting. A bit of studying those minimums will give you the basis for moving to the other grades to see what each have for a bottom line. The NHLA book can be a bit overwhelming as it contains all the rules for everything packed into a pocket size book.

This Chapter 5 includes information on softwood as well. The structural grades are in Chpt 6.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rathbone

much obliged for the info.  looks like I got some reading to do.

Rathbone

oakiemac

Where are you located at?? There is a class in April in west Michigan. There is short course that are 1-3 days long held at many different locations. I would contact my states DNR or go online and do some searching. These classes are usually pretty good and make a world of difference when you are sawing.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

rathbone

I'm in western Wisconsin, April is not good at all but I will check out the DNR sites as you suggested, just from what I've read so far, I can see a class would be extremely benificial.

GregS

Rathbone,
I am a member of the Northeastern Loggers' Association and therefore have access to their media library.  It has video tapes from Timber Harvester on this subject that help me out.  I am no expert but have enough knowledge to at least look a board and be close now.  They have a nice magazine as well. 

Here is the link....

http://www.northernlogger.com/media/Interest/sawmill.pdf

Thank You Sponsors!