iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ray's Portable Manual Mill Mods & Additions

Started by RAYAR, June 13, 2019, 03:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmfromkansas

Did you make that screw jack so you can slide it back and forth to center under your log?  Would be great to have a jack instead of a piece of 2x4.  And can't wait to see how you install your log dogs.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

RAYAR

Quote from: farmfromkansas on July 09, 2019, 09:45:09 PM
Did you make that screw jack so you can slide it back and forth to center under your log?  Would be great to have a jack instead of a piece of 2x4.  And can't wait to see how you install your log dogs.
The screw jacks (2) are fixed in place. They are closer to the back stops. These were already installed on my mill when I bought it last summer. I plan on installing rollers on top of those scissor jacks, but will have to lower their mounts. They have a piece of 1/4" flat bar welded across the top, should really have been a piece of angle, but so far, they've been OK.

Was going to try to explain how the log dawgs are installed. I think I'll wait and get a better pic of the installation of the current one. The two new ones will be similar. Just made the 'J' or 'U' brackets tonight. Now have all the parts for installation.

Also have a forth back stop ready to install also. This will allow me to mill logs as short as about 27" with no special set-up required.
My mill is currently set up in town. It's not close enough to the shop to reach it with the welder, will have to mobilize it to move it closer. Still have a few logs to mill first.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

RAYAR

I have a new engine set aside for my mill. Will pick it up in the next day or two. It's a Pro Point (Ducar) 420cc 15HP with electric start and has a cast iron cylinder sleeve (My current one is a 2006 Lifan 389cc 13HP manual start). Both are the Honda style engines. The little extra power and electric start will be a nice convenience. According to the manual, the alternator output is only 1 amp. Would be nice if the alternator would have a little more output. Will eventually add a few LED lights for when finishing sawing at dusk.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

I scored an older but low usage Echo PB1000 leaf blower a few days ago. Will make mill clean up a breeze or a blast. 8)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Crusarius

rayar, you know for $700 you can get a 22hp predator from harbor freight. With electric start. If you are going to take the time to change an engine you might as well just go big. You will not regret it. That is what I have on my mill and I am very pleased with it.

RAYAR

Quote from: Crusarius on July 11, 2019, 07:09:38 AM
rayar, you know for $700 you can get a 22hp predator from harbor freight. With electric start. If you are going to take the time to change an engine you might as well just go big. You will not regret it. That is what I have on my mill and I am very pleased with it.
That Pro Point 420cc 15HP (with cast iron cyl sleeve = 2X+ engine life) is currently on sale for $350 at PAL in Canada and I have a gift card from my retirement that will more than cover it. The 2006 13HP I currently have actually is not too bad, so the 15HP will just notch it up a bit. That $700 US will likely be in the $900+ CAD. range. If I wanted to wait a while, not sure how long, I could get one about the same size or a little more HP, I think 18HP, for around $300, but I have that gift card for PAL. I believe the Harbour Freight Predator engines would be similar to PALs Powerfist brand engines, a lesser engine life than the Pro Point brand I'm currently getting. The Pro Point is also suppose to have better cooling capacity.

Ray
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Picked up my new engine yesterday evening. Not sure just how soon I'll change it over. Both engines should have the same mounting configuration, have to check that out to see if I need to change anything there. Have to fabricate a battery tray/box. Also doing some research on the alternator, apparently there is an 18 amp one available (external??).
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Finally finished milling the few logs that were left at the shop. Had some Jack Pine and some Maple. Now I need to mobilize the mill to move it nearer to the welder. Have two dawging stations and one back stop to add on hopefully Friday or Saturday. Making my mill better equipped a bit at a time.

The old and new engines appear to have identical mounting and crank shaft measurements, so should be a simple swap. Also need to make a simple drawing with measurements for the battery box fabrication and mounting.

Still have research to do about an external alternator as the built-in 1-amp just doesn't seem to be much. Will likely use a larger than 18AH minimum battery required as I will install a few 10W LED flood lights to assist in end of day milling and mill clean up.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

bwstout

I had the same issue with the 1 amp also but I have a lot more that draws form the battires, I have power feed and power for blade adjustment. I added a double pulley and a 100 amp single wire alternator, but that may be more than you want or need.
home built mill

RAYAR

Quote from: bwstout on July 19, 2019, 12:55:10 PM
I had the same issue with the 1 amp also but I have a lot more that draws form the battires, I have power feed and power for blade adjustment. I added a double pulley and a 100 amp single wire alternator, but that may be more than you want or need.
I was doing some research earlier and came up with some permanent magnet alternators in 12V with outputs in the 12 to 20 amp range. They are belt driven and actually quite small.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Installed the two additional dawging stations and one additional log back stop this evening.

mounts (rear)

rear dawg

front dawging station and back stop installed

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

These Kasco WoodmaxX 7 degree blades look great.

My new blades just came in yesterday, August 13th. Originally ordered these blades on June 4th (they seem to have lost my order). Picked them up last evening. Looked at the shipping papers and the label on the box and they got the wrong size. I ordered 12'-7" (173 teeth = 151-3/8") They sent me 12'-8" (174 teeth = 152-1/2") @7/8" pitch. My mills' ideal size is set for 12'-7".

Will have to call Kasco and find out what's going on.

Tried one on for fit, it will work, but should add a shim, at least 3/8" thickness for a better set-up. I have a Cooks hinged tension set-up, not a slide, and the 12'-8" is near its' limit, and on its' up swing creating more deflection at the blade guide. It's very noticeable around a 2" bearing, 1" radius.

This will be a few hours work in changing things over and setting things back up.

174 teeth is an ideal size as it keeps its' groups of three teeth instead of missing one at the splice.

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Crusarius

Can you put the shim under the hinge so you can still use the old blades?

RAYAR

Quote from: Crusarius on August 14, 2019, 02:04:15 PM
Can you put the shim under the hinge so you can still use the old blades?
Can shim either side, but looking it over again, think I will do the hinge side with two pieces of flat bar.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Quote from: RAYAR on August 14, 2019, 01:55:04 PM

My new blades just came in yesterday, August 13th. Originally ordered these blades on June 4th (they seem to have lost my order). Picked them up last evening. Looked at the shipping papers and the label on the box and they got the wrong size. I ordered 12'-7" (173 teeth = 151-3/8") They sent me 12'-8" (174 teeth = 152-1/2") @7/8" pitch. My mills' ideal size is set for 12'-7".

Called Kasco to speak with Eric, but he's on vacation this week. Will have to call him next week.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

thecfarm

I see your log stops go straight up and down,as mine do. I put marks on the stops.,4 inches is really 3½. So if I set the head at 4 inches,I know I have a ½ to spare. Really comes in handy to saw the flitches. I made marks at 4-6-8-10 inches. No more guessing and wondering if I will hit a stop.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RAYAR

Quote from: thecfarm on August 14, 2019, 07:35:12 PM
I see your log stops go straight up and down,as mine do. I put marks on the stops.,4 inches is really 3½. So if I set the head at 4 inches,I know I have a ½ to spare. Really comes in handy to saw the flitches. I made marks at 4-6-8-10 inches. No more guessing and wondering if I will hit a stop.
Mine are marked what they are above the bunks. I also have a blade guard that will contact the back stops if I'm less than 1/4" above them. Marking the back stops was a great idea. If I have to set one higher than the others, as long as I'm more than 1/4" above it, I'm clear.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RAYAR

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Quote from: RAYAR on August 14, 2019, 01:55:04 PM

Tried one on for fit, it will work, but should add a shim, at least 3/8" thickness for a better set-up. I have a Cooks hinged tension set-up, not a slide, and the 12'-8" is near its' limit, and on its' up swing creating more deflection at the blade guide. It's very noticeable around a 2" bearing, 1" radius.

This will be a few hours work in changing things over and setting things back up.

174 teeth is an ideal size as it keeps its' groups of three teeth instead of missing one at the splice.

Called Kasco Canada today and spoke with Eric. Apparently 12'-7" is not a size they deal with or make up, but 12'-6" or 12'-8" is. Hmmmm....
Today I added shims to the hinged tensioner made up of 1/4" flat bar and 10 guage metal since I couldn't find some 3/8" flat bar. It would be about 13/32", maybe 25/64", just shy of half the 7/8" pitch. Took me a few hours as it was a tight spot to get my hand in for one of the bolts with-out taking the band wheel off. Turned out I had to run to the hardware store near by to get a few 1/4" longer bolts. Things are looking good and my mill is now set up for the ideal 12'-8" long bands. I also checked the band bearing guide alignment and was surprised by how much it had gotten out. It is now re-aligned. Tracking is also looking good, didn't have to re-adjust it.

Now to make up a wood box for my blades. Not sure when I'm going to get out next and do some more milling.

At least I'm done with the Sussex Flea Market for this year, that was a hectic week-end. Picked up a slide hammer type nail puller for mill equipment. Took it apart and wire brushed it by hand and painted it, then put it back together again.

Original

Shims added

Nail puller

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Had the mill out this afternoon (Sunday), a bit over an hours drive from home. Liking the new back stop and dawging stations I added. Milled some poplar using the new Kasco 7 degree blades. I kinda like those.

Throttle cable was a little stiff and gave me some issues so I ended up unhooking it from the engine and worked some tranny fluid into it, then re-installed it. Worked great after that.

Also brought the old Husky 61, now that's a saw that gets 'er done.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

mitchstockdale

Ray..thats a nice flea market find. How did the mill run with those new blades?  notice any differences in the cut/

RAYAR

Quote from: mitchstockdale on August 26, 2019, 08:35:27 AM
Ray..thats a nice flea market find. How did the mill run with those new blades?  notice any differences in the cut/

I'm liking the new 7 degree blades from Kasco. Cut very nicely too. It was all Poplar I milled so far with it. I did notice a slight diagonal ripple effect on the surfaces, but I only used one blade so far. I noticed the drive belt flopping quite a bit while cutting so I kept adjusting the tension on the idler until it settled down. I think the ripple effect pretty much dis-appeared after that. I had to repair the idler pulley cable before I towed the mill out, it was frayed and ready to let go.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

RAYAR

Been a while since I added to this thread. That 1/8" cable for the idler pulley tensioning is becoming a PITA!  It runs about a 90 degree bend around a smallish pulley, maybe 1-1/4" diameter. That's where I'm having the most issues with it. It frays and breaks and is ready to let go again. I'm going to do away with the pulley and possibly also the cable, will gear up something different.

Been milling mainly spruce logs lately making 2"X 10" floor joists for the most part, also 2" X 8" and 2" X 6". This is mainly for an off-grid project. Just about to the end of the softwood logs unless someone drops more off. Have a bunch of Maple waiting to get milled next.

Small pulley to the left of band wheel spindle

96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Crusarius

whats wrong with switching to a larger jacketed cable? That really doesn't look that extreme. The only reason I can see the cable fraying is rubbing on the sides of the pulley is that the correct size pulley? 

It is fraying at the pulley? right?

Thank You Sponsors!