iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power Feed, Woodmizer. Added to my mill.

Started by Bill Gaiche, June 05, 2019, 05:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

KenMac

Looks neat! I'm sure you will enjoy the upgrade.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

bags

Your gonna like the power feed. I installed one on my mill and wouldn't do without it now--- pretty much the same setup as you have. I started with a rope but it stretched out after a while and I had to keep mess'in with it. I installed a cable and a strong spring at one end to keep tension, and it works fine now.

bags

Magicman

That is a terrific mod Bill and bags.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Marche932

that is a good addition.  What power in watts is the 12V electric motor?
I have a home-made sawmill!

Ljohnsaw

To all of you guys, how happy are you with it being powered on just one side?  I'm contemplating but was thinking I need to power both sides.  I noticed that all three are on the powered/sawdust side.  Is that just because its a little heavier with the motor more on that side?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bags

Power on one side is all I need. Without the PF ya push a manual on one side anyway--- kinda like ride'in a horse with only one spur--- ya stick'em on one side, and the other comes along for the ride. All my factory/custom controls are on the right side of the mill, so theres room on the left side to mount the motor and cable. The engine (HP) on my mill will only cut so fast through a log, so two motors push'in the mill head would probably just shorten battery life through the day.

randy d

I have had two LT15 with the hand crank I now have a LT28 with the power feed wo what a difference that can make better cuts because of the consistent feed rate and its just easier to do a lot more sawing in a day. I like it. Randy

Bill Gaiche

Quote from: Marche932 on June 07, 2019, 11:54:49 AM
that is a good addition.  What power in watts is the 12V electric motor?
I don't know. You might find out by looking it up on Wood Mizer web site. It is 12V. bg

Bill Gaiche

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 07, 2019, 12:17:42 PM
To all of you guys, how happy are you with it being powered on just one side?  I'm contemplating but was thinking I need to power both sides.  I noticed that all three are on the powered/sawdust side.  Is that just because its a little heavier with the motor more on that side?
I installed mine this way because of clockwise forward rotation of the gearbox. Also I wanted the rope across from me and out of the way where logs are loaded and lumber removed. It may be wired opposite of what mine is to make it turn counter clockwise. But it is mounted on the sawdust chute side . bg

bandmiller2

One side drive is all that's needed unless you do a lot of dragback. You also want the cable to slip if something gets in the way or binds. You want just enough power to move freely through a cut. I feed my mill with a hydraulic motor and wire cable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

When I added power feed to my mill Cook advised me to consider 2-side drive because a non-driven side may at times exhibit "catch-up". I found this to be true and added a 2nd chain and ever since the pull is very smooth. Not quite sure of the reason - must be related to small lateral movement of the carriage roller wheels. 
I use a 24 VDC wheelchair motor and a 10 Amp draw from 2 car batteries allows me to saw 20+ inches in oak. That's only 1/3 HP - so hitting an obstruction stalls the forward movement and rarely blows the 20 AMP fuse. I think I have blown only 2 fuses in 17 years.
Good luck to you in your conversion add-on.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!