iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder or forwarder ??

Started by Madman_Mark, May 04, 2004, 10:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

Right now I am logging with a 4WD tractor and logging winch (part time) but I soon may have the oppurtunity to go full time and hire a man or 2.
I'm thinking of selling the tractor/winch and getting a skidder or forwarder (used).
Around here the wood isn't too big and half the guys use skidders and half use forwarders, it's about 50/50.
Skidders are a bit cheaper and seem more practical for a guy starting out.
I've never actually operated one before but I cut wood for a living (until 6 years ago) for 10 years straight and have worked around numerous machines so I'm familiar with what they can do.
What are some of your opinions, advice and experiences ?

Jeff

First thing I can think of is forwarders and short wood skidders are lower impact and may bring you more work for just that fact.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Madman_Mark

What about pulp carts that you tow behind a tractor that have a loader on them ?
Anyone familiar with those ?
How many cords will one carry that can be hauled with a 55 HP 4WD tractor ?
I could put just as much wood out in a day with the tractor and winch couldn't I ?

Ed_K

I run a 4x4 tractor w/ winch & forestry trailer. 33 hp, its great for cordwood and thinning work. If I get a lot with sawlogs and cordwood, I use a cable skidder.
 I am constantly hearing that I need a forwarder to get invited to bid on lots, seems the foresters are pushing that way for more low impact on the ground. The plus is if you are sawing the logs, clean logs are nice  :) .
 With the skidder I average 6 to 8 cords a day. With the small tractor it more like 6 to 8 hundred ft a day. The trailer can only bring out 200' per load, as it rares up coming up the hill.

This is not a recommended way to operate.
Ed K

Frickman

Mark,
If you can swing it, get a forwarding trailer for your tractor, and a small cable skidder. That way you get the best of both worlds, and have alot of flexibilty. I'm running a small, JD 440 cable skidder and a Tree Farmer C5D forwarder. I use the skidder for short drags and bunching logs and the forwarder as a prehauler for longer trips.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

JN68

HI MARK ; i use a MF 184-4wd, V4000 fransguard skidding winch,patu 405 loader mounted on a truck frame and power too the rear wheels on the trailer. Alot of the people here ( NB)  use them, and the versatility is great,low impact, and people look at the different's between the tractor and skidder/porter. For the money in my option is you can do just as good job .The big rig's in my thought's are on the way out unless you have acreage contracts.Land onwer's want someone that will look at their land the way they do for their own. Good luck  james  ;D

Scott

James, where are you located? by the looks of things your close to me.

JN68

Hello SCOTT; i am located on the Kingston Peninsula in carters' point. I have a shingle mill and lumbermate bandsaw mill. What part of Saint John are you in?   JAMES 8)

Scott

James, I live in the old Bonnell house down by the ketepec marina. The Bonnells used to own the ketepec lumber company back in the 20's or 30's. I think i was at your mill last fall with my friend and his dad getting some slab wood. Nice operation you have there.

Thank You Sponsors!